Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Can someone explain ESC basics?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Can someone explain ESC basics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Darth Will

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain ESC basics?

Hi,

Been out of Heli flying for awhile, boy have things changed and have they gotten small!

Anyway, since my esc caught on fire, I need to replace it.
Shopping around I have some questions.
Looking at the Hobbywing 30a, what's a program card and do I need it? Can I just plug in the esc and go fly?
Do I need a ubec? Isn't there already a bec in the esc?

Any other recommendations for a good, inexpensive esc for a Belt CP?

TIA,
Darth Will
Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Druss

Default RE: Can someone explain ESC basics?

ESC's are pretty basic but some have more programming options, things like soft start, voltage cut off and brake settings. You don't need a program card as you can program most escs just using the transmitter. Most escs can be plugged in and used on the standard settings, the only thing I'd change is brake off if that isn't standard.

Most esc's in the range you're looking have a built in bec, they are linear though and you have to realize that escs turn excess voltage into heat. So if you're using an 11.1v battery and the esc is set to provide 6v to the receiver then the rest (5.1v nominal) must be used up by heat. Also, the amp rating of the esc must meet or exceed the amp draw of the motor, the closer you are to the minimum the more the esc will heat up from working close to, or over, it's rating.

A ubec does the work of the built in bec on the esc and therefore removes that heat from the esc, this means everything will run cooler.

There are a lot of escs available on the market but for your application a 30amp or 35amp is all that's required. I run a separate ubec on most of my helis regardless of whether the stock esc has a built in one.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Missileman

Also some ESCs may have a lipo setting that you will have to make sure is set right (don't know about the one you are looking at)
Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 PM
simmo8

a question
whats a bec ?

simmo
Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 PM
noobflyer01

bec stands for battery elimination circuit. it uses power from the main power source ( lipo) to power the eletronics suchs as servos so that it gets the right amount of power instead of the full power from the lipo. all eletric helicopters gotta have one or the eletronics would fry from the lipo. most esc have bec's built in. but they are usually not very good. external bec are best. i have external bec's on all of my helis. it also is a redundant power source should your esc fail.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:37 AM
simmo8

ok that makes nice sence thanks mate
are the external bec's expencive i might have to put one on my blade 400 and one on my electric planes
is it an extra batery or another electrical box type thing that is placed between the batery and the esc and then plugs into the RX
thanks again mate

simmo
Old 08-23-2008, 06:07 AM
noobflyer01

here's one

http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/6171

as you can see its inexpensive. you solder the leads to the esc and the other leads goes into the receiver. you can plug into any open receiver slot. back in the old days receivers had to have their own power source (receiver packs) which adds extra weight to the heli. the bec elminates that receiver pack.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:13 AM
simmo8

ok i think i will have to buy a few of them. i have done sum reading and i see it as you tap the + and - of the BEC into the + and - of the ESC and then the other end of the BEC into the batery port or any free port in the RX and then the BEC lead of the ESC into the throtle port of the RX and hope that the magic blue smoke dont come out
thanks heeps mate you have helped me alot

simmo
Old 08-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Druss

Make sure you remove the red wire from the lead that goes from the esc to the receiver throttle port or you'll still supply power through the esc as well as the bec.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:42 PM
noobflyer01

good point druss. you can find more info on this @ helifreak.com go to the finless heli setup room and look for bec 101. as a matter of fact watch all of finless bob videos.

if you use an small screwdriver and lift up the tab on the red lead wire from the esc to the receiver. then slide out the lead. that way the wire is not cut and you could just plug it back in later if you want to. i did that and wrap the wire with some tape and i'm good.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:40 AM
Druss

Ya, I do the same thing but just use a bit of shrink tube. I second the finless bob videos on helifreak.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 AM
simmo8

okz i will no doubt have some more questions when i get some so i will repost some questions on this thread lol
why do you need to remove the red wire from the esc to the receiver throtle port?
i am pretty sure i know what i need to do thanks again
simmo
Old 08-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Druss

The red wire is how the built in bec on the esc supplies power to the electronics, since you don't want the built in bec doing that anymore, remove the red wire....
Old 08-24-2008, 05:57 PM
HeLiTuBBies

ok... let me share my own thoughts ... ESC= electronic speed controller.. esc with bec=not good if it's linear and have to accomodate demanding tasks and higher electronic amps.. BEC regulates the voltage that goes to your servos, gyros and rx .. Linear BEC's converts and regulates the voltage and transforms the excess into heat. externel bec or switching bec is always better.. i hope i got this right but who cares, i might be just drunk [&:]
Old 08-25-2008, 03:38 AM
simmo8

ok i see now now i am pretty sure it all makes perfect sence
smmo