Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Old 09-08-2008, 01:06 AM
crashcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

Crash ~

No prob... I'am drained and tired also.... Sleep ? What's that ?! This hobby is taking a toll on my sleeping habits ! I would love to see the expressions of these guys driving buy watching what I think to be a EXI-450 with all aluminum from X-HELI...Lol..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA7zz...eature=related

~ Jeff
NICE.....just waiting for it to explode from the G's (LMAO).
Old 09-08-2008, 01:31 AM
J-MICHAEL

They probally thought he was out of control... And clearing the area.... Going to a big RC-event this coming weekend here in Cali, and last year they said people thought the guys doing the 3-D were out of control, but digged the scale flying... This was told to me by the guys at the LHS. This will be my first show to go to. I've never seen a single person fly anything related to RC in my life. Never seen a nitro either in real life...Its only been me and my dad, and that's it, when it comes to the RC...It should be fun ! I'll be taking lots of pictures and vids also. Real-scale aircraft among that... So I'll be shooting massive pics of those as well for future fuselages for my heli's ! Need any specific shots of heli's, let me know....

~ Jeff
Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 AM
J-MICHAEL

Oh......... I'am still waiting for ya to do up another Huey.... So I'll take some pics for ya of those, for some encouragement and motivation......
Old 09-08-2008, 10:51 AM
crashcrash

Oh......... I'am still waiting for ya to do up another Huey.... So I'll take some pics for ya of those, for some encouragement and motivation......
My new EXI-450 arrived this AM. If I do another Huey, it'll be the hightorqueusa again, and I'll use the elevated tail rotor assembly they sell. Should be under $100 for that...I'm still thinking about the next scaler, but it's gonna be tough to out do the TH-57 I just did.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:48 PM
J-MICHAEL

Crash ~

On your EXI-450 fuselage above, and all the many others you have built and constructed, what paints do you use for your application ? I think I heard you say before that you scuffed it up with 400 grit sandpaper, and then used a primer with a white base coat and then applied your final coat of whatever color, but was wondering what you used exactly ? And where do you order it ?

I've never painted any of the plastics before on my Cars, or heli's except once and that was last year with my CX2 Xtreme canopy that I had purchased from Boomtown Hobbies. I'am not sure what type of plastic it is, but I think it was polycarbonate or something like that.... It's held up through massive scratches and has done well with the paint you see in the pics below, that I had acquired from my LHS. The window tint worked great, and the silver was my choosing for the final application. I prepped it very well however, as that is more important than the painting itself I believe... I scuffed it also, and flashed it very quickly with acetone and a mild dish soap to make sure the application would adhere well.

I even used the silver to paint the fins, and after a year still no scratches or anything, but also.... Prepped it very well and flashed the pieces with acetone carefully....

Any info would be appreciated... Thanks in advance,

~ Jeff

BTW....... lohchief, if your out there anywhere I love your fuselage in the pic above ! VERY nice.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79583.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1029064   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44525.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1029065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60969.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1029066  
Old 09-08-2008, 04:49 PM
crashcrash

Crash ~

On your EXI-450 fuselage above, and all the many others you have built and constructed, what paints do you use for your application ? I think I heard you say before that you scuffed it up with 400 grit sandpaper, and then used a primer with a white base coat and then applied your final coat of whatever color, but was wondering what you used exactly ? And where do you order it ?

I've never painted any of the plastics before on my Cars, or heli's except once and that was last year with my CX2 Xtreme canopy that I had purchased from Boomtown Hobbies. I'am not sure what type of plastic it is, but I think it was polycarbonate or something like that.... It's held up through massive scratches and has done well with the paint you see in the pics below, that I had acquired from my LHS. The window tint worked great, and the silver was my choosing for the final application. I prepped it very well however, as that is more important than the painting itself I believe... I scuffed it also, and flashed it very quickly with acetone and a mild dish soap to make sure the application would adhere well.

I even used the silver to paint the fins, and after a year still no scratches or anything, but also.... Prepped it very well and flashed the pieces with acetone carefully....

Any info would be appreciated... Thanks in advance,

~ Jeff

BTW....... lohchief, if your out there anywhere I love your fuselage in the pic above ! VERY nice.....
Jeff...yeah, I scuff it with 400 grit. The material they use is either ABS (some drthdark fuse I think) or PET in various thicknesses for most others unless using fiberglass. Only two issues in a good paint job, preperation (and real good masking) and grade of paint you use. Rust-Oleum seems to be the best, and more expensive than the others but the results are well worth it. De oiling or degreasing...you can use alphatic naptha (lighter fluid) or other cleaning solvents that wont attack the material. I use primer white or gray from rustoelum for priming.

My decals on the TH-57 are all made from images off the internet (HT-8's squadron insignia), and the intl star and bar...reduced using MS Paint. I use MS paint to also make the lettering or words, using the correct colors (number 38 is black numbers on red background made to correct scale/hue of redness). I apply the decals using a high quality packing tape such as 3M, virtually invisable....good stuff.

Vic
Attached Images   
Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 PM
J-MICHAEL

Thanks Vic.........!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 PM
crashcrash

Thanks Vic.........!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that automotive pin striping (although a tad pricy) works WONDERS on scalers and you can get nearly every color in the spectrum.

Eye Candy...NIB EXI-450 standard:

Name:	Ay74143.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1029244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64869.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1029245  
Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 PM
lohchief

Best buy for any heli on th' market.IMHO. I want more.....................
Old 09-08-2008, 09:23 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: lohchief

LMAO....I think TWO is OK, MAYBE three (gotta squeeze another huey in here someplace).
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
lohchief

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

LMAO....I think TWO is OK, MAYBE three (gotta squeeze another huey in here someplace).
I agree.I wish someone made a 450 size H-model fuse,and a AH-1G fuse.That would really make me a happy camper.A broke happy camper I should say.I made another V tail today for the 6.I think I have this one just about right.I know,I'm fussy.
-lohchief
Old 09-08-2008, 09:28 PM
J-MICHAEL

(gotta squeeze another huey in here someplace).
Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 PM
crashcrash

I agree.I wish someone made a 450 size H-model fuse,and a AH-1G fuse.That would really make me a happy camper.A broke happy camper I should say.I made another V tail today for the 6.I think I have this one just about right.I know,I'm fussy.
-lohchief
I've done work for people, they call me a perfectionist (LMAO). NOOOOOOO....I just like stuff RIGHT, and it pi$$es me off if it aint.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:44 PM
theradioflyer

I thought I'd post the pics over here just in case anyone missed that the EXI-450 is basically a T-Rex less than half the price.
Look at the EXI-450 in the box and tell me that's not the same thing as my T-Rex[8D]

God Bless Y'all,

Jay

Name:	Fd93049.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1029366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87125.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1029367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85368.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1029368  
Old 09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

I thought I'd post the pics over here just in case anyone missed that the EXI-450 is basically a T-Rex less than half the price.
Look at the EXI-450 in the box and tell me that's not the same thing as my T-Rex[8D]

God Bless Y'all,

Jay

LOL.....got to get batteries for the camera, but I'll post pics of the EXI for a comparison tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:11 PM
noobflyer01

its identical to the trexsa. butt cheek to butt cheek. only differences are the the exi has full metal swash and washout plus metal head button. even the main gear on the exi is better than trex. it has the removeable screw type one way bearing hub.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:35 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

its identical to the trexsa. butt cheek to butt cheek. only differences are the the exi has full metal swash and washout plus metal head button. even the main gear on the exi is better than trex. it has the removeable screw type one way bearing hub.
I bought a few sets of Align skids for my MX-400 and HBKII's, these on the EXI-450 seem a little flimpsey compared to the Align sets I've been buying. HDX-450 skids are also awsome, and they look great.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 PM
lohchief

I bought a few sets of Align skids for my MX-400 and HBKII's, these on the EXI-450 seem a little flimpsey compared to the Align sets I've been buying. HDX-450 skids are also awsome, and they look great.
What skids did you run on the 58? I agree the exi skids suck.I don't think the superskids are going to look right on the 58,maybe I'm wrong.I was thinking about trying the microheli low profile skids.They have a nice shape to them.
-george
Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
crashcrash

What skids did you run on the 58? I agree the exi skids suck.I don't think the superskids are going to look right on the 58,maybe I'm wrong.I was thinking about trying the microheli low profile skids.They have a nice shape to them.
-george
George....the 58 is a "sky-pig" and the stock EXI skids are just too flimpsey for this scaler, I use stock Align black skids....hit 'em with OD. I have to order a couple new sets of Align for the 57 and the 58. In cold, the EXI's will shatter immediately on a semi-hard landing. I'm still running 60's and 70's here, so I'm good for a couple weeks more.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 AM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

I ordered my EXI 450 during that Labor Day sale because I knew I would regret it if I didn't. I am glad I did. It looks like the best deal out there.

In a nightmarish ebay transaction, after 30 emails and 4 shipments, I ended up with an extra telebee 302 gyro. So that's going on there. My DX6i radio came with an AR6200, which is installed on my King2 now. I am going to move it to the 450 and buy a AR6100 for the King2.

I am planning to replace the plastic tail fins, install light wood blades and get some trex paddles first thing. Maybe get all stainless button head hex screws for the frame. Are the frame screws M3 or M4?

This is going to become one of those monster threads.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 AM
noobflyer01

ORIGINAL: eaterofdog

I ordered my EXI 450 during that Labor Day sale because I knew I would regret it if I didn't. I am glad I did. It looks like the best deal out there.

In a nightmarish ebay transaction, after 30 emails and 4 shipments, I ended up with an extra telebee 302 gyro. So that's going on there. My DX6i radio came with an AR6200, which is installed on my King2 now. I am going to move it to the 450 and buy a AR6100 for the King2.

I am planning to replace the plastic tail fins, install light wood blades and get some trex paddles first thing. Maybe get all stainless button head hex screws for the frame. Are the frame screws M3 or M4?

This is going to become one of those monster threads.
the stock paddles are just as good as the align paddles. changing the fins is defintely a plus. also, the screws on the frame are phillips but they work equally as good as the hex screws so you're good there. just remember to loctite all machined screws( these are screws that bolt on to metal only and NOT plastic) i ran with the align 325 pro woodies with excellent results. the telebee will work just fine providing you setup the mechanical neutral rudder. setup the telebee until it holds well in rate mode. then when you switch to head hold it should work very well.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:12 AM
eaterofdog

The stainless button head hex screws are not necessary, I just have a hardware fetish.

I have set up gyros before, no problem.

Thanks for the heads up on the paddles, I thought they had to be replaced.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:17 AM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: eaterofdog

The stainless button head hex screws are not necessary, I just have a hardware fetish.

I have set up gyros before, no problem.

Thanks for the heads up on the paddles, I thought they had to be replaced.
Do get a set of T-Rex (Align) skids though. Yeah, I didn't think much of the stock stabs either. The T-Rex stabs are much nicer, and tough (used 'em on my MX-400). You can replace the paddles, but it's not critical. The Align 8G paddles are NICE.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:54 AM
lohchief

Why not make your own tail section? There is no rule saying you have to fly what comes with the ship,or ones that look the same but are a better quality.You can make a T-tail,or something like you'll find on a large Sikorsky,or something totally different.Listen to me,the scale bug has me right by the short ones.I'm doomed,LMAO.
-lohchief
Old 09-09-2008, 12:01 PM
eaterofdog

I could get one of these from helianchor.com LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.