Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Old 09-06-2008, 03:46 PM
crashcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Hi everyone. With the EXI-450 being an excellent alternative to the T-Rex, I decided to start a thread dedicated to the EXI-450. As I can, I will be posting pics, DX7 settings (which are pretty much close to the T-Rex), discuss the Telebee ATV gyro I had in mine, improvements, mods, and scale projects. I currently have one EXI-450 flyable, I have another on it's way. People from the T-Rex community are also welcome as their extensive knowlege base applies here as well......I'll BE BACK.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97640.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1027573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50838.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1027574  
Old 09-06-2008, 09:32 PM
noobflyer01

Default RE: EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

here's mine. flys supersweet. lots of upgrades. trex450v2 metal blade grips , v2 metal tail, v2 carbon fins, carbon mains, and carbon tail rotor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvuVZAYwJ2c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXvoBBHK5H4

JGF 450F /w 13T
align 35a esc
hs65mg cyclic
gy401 /w 9650
ar6100

100% flat throttle curve in idle giving 4 and half minutes of ballistic flight.

Name:	Tr50331.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1027733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85249.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1027734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53832.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1027735  
Old 09-06-2008, 09:40 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

here's mine. flys supersweet. lots of upgrades. trex450v2 metal blade grips , v2 metal tail, v2 carbon fins, carbon mains, and carbon tail rotor.
Very nice. I see you're running the Futaba gyro. Have you ran onto any issues/problems? Mine is pretty close to stock except the scale body, my second one that'll be here Monday, I'll fly it as stock before I do any mods but they seem to fly pretty nice right out of the box after you get them set up. Car mat...interesting idea. Seems like you got a handle on loops and rolls eh?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 PM
noobflyer01

i have no issues with the gy401 and 9650 or 9257. both works fantastic with the gy401. the 9257 is faster than the 9650 but its hard to tell when you're flying it. when i say fantastic i mean it. Not even the slightest amount of draft. its like laser lock the logitech 2100T is also an excellent choice. its 40 bucks less than the gy but its a little more complicated to setup. it does however offer something the gy401 doesnt....independant left and right travel limit. This bird is by far the best bang for the buck. sometimes xheli have special offers that you can get the kit for 69 bucks[X(]

its more like flips and rolls. but i just recently learned loops. all those tricks was done stationary. its real easy once you do one. doing loops is a bit more difficult...you have to get forward flight then pull back on cyclic increasing collective as it climbs . collective should be neutral as its going inverted. increase collective just a tad as it completes the loop.. i actually watched finless on that move and practiced it on the sim. it actually worked for me perfectly. flips are the easiest. rolls are easy too. its all collective management.

in the 2 vids one shows me having a hard time with the tail. that was the telebee gyro. the one with the flips is with the gy401. that much of a difference

Old 09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
crashcrash

i have no issues with the gy401 and 9650 or 9257. both works fantastic with the gy401. the 9257 is faster than the 9650 but its hard to tell when you're flying it. when i say fantastic i mean it. Not even the slightest amount of draft. its like laser lock the logitech 2100T is also an excellent choice. its 40 bucks less than the gy but its a little more complicated to setup. it does however offer something the gy401 doesnt....independant left and right travel limit. This bird is by far the best bang for the buck. sometimes xheli have special offers that you can get the kit for 69 bucks[X(]

its more like flips and rolls. but i just recently learned loops. all those tricks was done stationary. its real easy once you do one. doing loops is a bit more difficult...you have to get forward flight then pull back on cyclic increasing collective as it climbs . collective should be neutral as its going inverted. increase collective just a tad as it completes the loop.. i actually watched finless on that move and practiced it on the sim. it actually worked for me perfectly. flips are the easiest. rolls are easy too. its all collective management.

in the 2 vids one shows me having a hard time with the tail. that was the telebee gyro. the one with the flips is with the gy401. that much of a difference

I bought one of the Telebee gyros with ATV...burned out in less than 10 flights (?) Hey, you've POSTED some fantastic info on stunt flight, gyros, etc. Thank you very much. Lohchief will be joining this thread soon...he's got family function going on, but he'll be here. He's got a few GREAT builds going on. I decided to start the EXI-450 thread because it was too much off topic in the tuner thread, or the Wheeeeeeee....Blade CP threads. And we need a research and discussion thread for this outstanding T-Rex clone. Yeah....I picked up my second EXI-450 on sale labor day for $69 (basic model). My MX-400...it's days are really numbered now.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:26 PM
lohchief

Howdy everyone.Vic,this is a much needed thread,thanx bro.I have been busy doing the family thing,and we're almost done now.I have done a little work on my scale OH-6A project,and it's based on the EXI-450 base model(el cheapo),as well as a OH-58a also on a EXI-450 chassis.First off,the exi 450 is a fandamntastic bargoon at 99 bux.For those of you that scored one cheaper......I hate you all,LMAO !!! On my Oh-6a,I started with the heliartist 500 delta fuse,unpainted.There is a good fuse for 90 bux.I bought the LightningHeli 4 blade rotorhead for it too.For both builds,I am using scanner rc 9314 metal gear/ball bearing servos on the swash,with with some Power HD 2216 hb digital servos for the tail.Both have the LT-2100 gyros.Although I'm pretty much working on the loh fuse,I am also building the airframe for the 58.I figure with all things being pretty much equal,I'll do my dial in on the 58 airframe,then use those settings on my 6 project,with most of the dail in done.I'm running a AKE IceCold 380 watt motor for the 6,and a 320 watt IceCold for the lighter 58 fuse.Again,both have a EMax 35a esc's,with Dimension Enginnering 1.5a/5v parkbec's.Back to the 6,I have filled in the panel lines that where on the doghouse,cause the 6 doesn't have them.Made the adf antenna,and mounted it under the chin bubble,added the silver tape antennas to the bubbles,and made the KY-28 (IFF) antenna for the bottom of the tailboom.I still have to fit a wire antenna from the rear of the doghouse to the aft section of the tailboom,then that will be done.I fabbed up the V-tail for it,as seen in the crummy pics I took.I will fly it first on the 58 airframe,then build a "finished" one for the 6.Thats about all for now.I hope to see your projects here too.
-lohchief

Name:	Hf99349.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1028136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41857.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1028137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19547.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1028138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25493.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1028139  
Old 09-07-2008, 06:53 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: lohchief

Howdy everyone.Vic,this is a much needed thread,thanx bro.I have been busy doing the family thing,and we're almost done now.I have done a little work on my scale OH-6A project,and it's based on the EXI-450 base model(el cheapo),as well as a OH-58a also on a EXI-450 chassis.First off,the exi 450 is a fandamntastic bargoon at 99 bux.For those of you that scored one cheaper......I hate you all,LMAO !!! On my Oh-6a,I started with the heliartist 500 delta fuse,unpainted.There is a good fuse for 90 bux.I bought the LightningHeli 4 blade rotorhead for it too.For both builds,I am using scanner rc 9314 metal gear/ball bearing servos on the swash,with with some Power HD 2216 hb digital servos for the tail.Both have the LT-2100 gyros.Although I'm pretty much working on the loh fuse,I am also building the airframe for the 58.I figure with all things being pretty much equal,I'll do my dial in on the 58 airframe,then use those settings on my 6 project,with most of the dail in done.I'm running a AKE IceCold 380 watt motor for the 6,and a 320 watt IceCold for the lighter 58 fuse.Again,both have a EMax 35a esc's,with Dimension Enginnering 1.5a/5v parkbec's.Back to the 6,I have filled in the panel lines that where on the doghouse,cause the 6 doesn't have them.Made the adf antenna,and mounted it under the chin bubble,added the silver tape antennas to the bubbles,and made the KY-28 (IFF) antenna for the bottom of the tailboom.I still have to fit a wire antenna from the rear of the doghouse to the aft section of the tailboom,then that will be done.I fabbed up the V-tail for it,as seen in the crummy pics I took.I will fly it first on the 58 airframe,then build a "finished" one for the 6.Thats about all for now.I hope to see your projects here too.
-lohchief
The OH6A is an AWSOME looking bird.....I might have to build one, since I know an expert on what the should look like.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM
theradioflyer

Subscribed! Great thread Vic[8D] I hope to join the scale leagues this coming winter and I want to do the OH6A. I'm going to put it on a T-RexSA and most likely go with the Align Fuse. If anything, God forbid, happens to the SA I will most likely replace it with the EXI-450.

Vic, She looks great! More pictures!

Great flying Noobflyer01!

Lohcheif, absolutely beautiful! I hope to see more pictures as well.

God Bless Y'all!

Jay
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

Subscribed! Great thread Vic[8D] I hope to join the scale leagues this coming winter and I want to do the OH6A. I'm going to put it on a T-RexSA and most likely go with the Align Fuse. If anything, God forbid, happens to the SA I will most likely replace it with the EXI-450.

Vic, She looks great! More pictures!

Great flying Noobflyer01!

Lohcheif, absolutely beautiful! I hope to see more pictures as well.

God Bless Y'all!

Jay
Jay...you might recognize these guys from the tuner thread. They're both GREAT people and welcome to the EXI-450 thread....from all of us.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:35 PM
J-MICHAEL

Vic ~

I agree with Jay, and great thread... In my snoopin' around the forums here on RCU I have came across gents asking for some information in regards to the EXI-450, and the first person I thought of was you ! So this will prove to offer some valuable insight for myself as well as others... I recognize lohchief from me poking around the tuner thread awhile back over at Esky, and Noobflyer01 I see you frequent the Trex site from time to time.... Jay, I think I remember you but just can't put my finger on it.... Lol... Kidding of course !

For starters, where can one pick up the EXI-450 for the best deal ? Being in a learning curve still as Jay and Vic already know and trying to master the forward flight thing better, this could be a cheaper alternative for now than wanting to sacrifice my Trex to the abuse and torture.

I'll check in from time to time, and knowing me could be drawn in to all the jazz here...

Take care guys,

~ Jeff
Old 09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

Vic ~

I agree with Jay, and great thread... In my snoopin' around the forums here on RCU I have came across gents asking for some information in regards to the EXI-450, and the first person I thought of was you ! So this will prove to offer some valuable insight for myself as well as others... I recognize lohchief from me poking around the tuner thread awhile back over at Esky, and Noobflyer01 I see you frequent the Trex site from time to time.... Jay, I think I remember you but just can't put my finger on it.... Lol... Kidding of course !

For starters, where can one pick up the EXI-450 for the best deal ? Being in a learning curve still as Jay and Vic already know and trying to master the forward flight thing better, this could be a cheaper alternative for now than wanting to sacrifice my Trex to the abuse and torture.

I'll check in from time to time, and knowing me could be drawn in to all the jazz here...

Take care guys,

~ Jeff
Jeff....X-Heli JUST had a sale on EXI-450 for $69 ($84 shipped) on labor day....I grabbed one. The first one, I think I got from Heli-Direct for $99 ($114 shipped), which is still much less than the T-Rex at $169 before ship. Just check as many websites as you can, but the standard version is normally $99. You can also order better ones (metal upgrades, etc) at a good price.

Trouble shooting and working on the EXI-450....same as ANY belt driven tail heli and 99.999% T-Rex compatable, PLUS X-Heli.com stocks EXI-450 original parts. EXI-450 is a winner situation at an affordable price.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 PM
J-MICHAEL

Vic ~

Alright thanks.... I'am sure ya said where in the Wheeeee......CP thread, but this thread could turn out to be a success so its important for any new guys to know. I'am afraid I would be a little skeptical with doing any business with X-Heli although others have had no problem, I've followed through however with many complaints through this link here on RCU http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5775064/tm.htm And have also found that the Better Business Bureau has given them an 'F' as there grading sheet shows.... [] But on a positive note about Heli-Direct, I have done lots of business with and personally I give them an 'A' as there shipping is incredibly fast, along with just great products and customer service and so that was a relief as I saw that !

Being that 99% of the parts are Trex compatible, sheds some new light for this scout and my learning curve as money doesn't grow on any trees around here, and this may help to make it a better learning experience... Looks as if I may have to make some decisions here....

Thanks Vic,

~ Jeff
Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 PM
crashcrash

Vic ~

Alright thanks.... I'am sure ya said where in the Wheeeee......CP thread, but this thread could turn out to be a success so its important for any new guys to know. I'am afraid I would be a little skeptical with doing any business with X-Heli although others have had no problem, I've followed through however with many complaints through this link here on RCU http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5775064/tm.htm And have also found that the Better Business Bureau has given them an 'F' as there grading sheet shows.... [] But on a positive note about Heli-Direct, I have done lots of business with and personally I give them an 'A' as there shipping is incredibly fast, along with just great products and customer service and so that was a relief as I saw that !

Being that 99% of the parts are Trex compatible, sheds some new light for this scout and my learning curve as money doesn't grow on any trees around here, and this may help to make it a better learning experience... Looks as if I may have to make some decisions here....

Thanks Vic,

~ Jeff
Just remember...they sell STOCK EXI-450 parts...and they WILL fit your T-Rex. So if you bruise up the T-Rex, you could get EXI-450 parts to replace them. Be advised....I have T-Rex skids on my MX-400...they're a lot sturdier than the stock EXI-450 skids. In about a week....I'll be ordering two more sets of align skids, one for each of the EXI-450's. If you do pick up an EXI-450, you'll have a T-Rex sitting next to it for comparison of quality of parts. In my opinion since I've bought T-Rex parts for my MX-400, the EXI-450 head parts aren't the best quality, but they're a lot better than the MX-400 or the HBKII head parts. That'll give you an idea of what you are dealing with. Like I said, the EXI-450 flies well as stock right out of the box....can't say that about the MX-400 or the HBKII.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:18 PM
noobflyer01

if you decide to upgrade to the trexv2 metal blade grips ...remember to pick up v2 dampners. the stock exi head does not have thrust bearings. any v2 parts will fit perfectly. i got em all. i did most of the upgrades after a crash of course. but the stock parts will work beatifully out of the box as stated above. the motor mount will only accept screws 2.5 mm or less through its slots. they can be widen by using a file. [:'(].
Old 09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
J-MICHAEL

I have T-Rex skids on my MX-400...they're a lot sturdier than the stock EXI-450 skids.
Noted......... You really got me thinking here about the EXI-450....

Noobflyer01 ~

I've seen some of your vids before, and you fly great ! I hope to be there someday.....

~ Jeff
Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 PM
J-MICHAEL

Also.... The Trueblood dampners have been noted to outperform and definately outlast the V2 dampners by others here on the Trex forum and over at Heli-Freak. I have yet to try them, but on my next replacement will be doing so. When I do, I'll report on my findings here.... And for the price could be a valuable cheap upgrade.

http://www.readyheli.com/TREX_V2_Hea...dampeners2.htm
Old 09-07-2008, 11:30 PM
noobflyer01

I have T-Rex skids on my MX-400...they're a lot sturdier than the stock EXI-450 skids.

Noobflyer01 ~

I've seen some of your vids before, and you fly great ! I hope to be there someday.....

~ Jeff
thanks! . you'll be there in no time buddy. i'm still a noobie. the more you fly the more it makes sense. I did my very first FFF loop 2 days ago.[8D]. very kewl. and for the first time today i did a tic toc. it was sloppy but it i pulled it off. i always thought that tic toc's were done with collective...its actually done with cyclic with alittle collective. half back flip to 2-oclock then half front flip to 10'oclock with collective management. its truly an amazing site and experience when done.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:30 PM
crashcrash

Also.... The Trueblood dampners have been noted to outperform and definately outlast the V2 dampners by others here on the Trex forum and over at Heli-Freak. I have yet to try them, but on my next replacement will be doing so. When I do, I'll report on my findings here.... And for the price could be a valuable cheap upgrade.

http://www.readyheli.com/TREX_V2_Hea...dampeners2.htm

AWSOME...those would work on my MX-400 too.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:33 PM
crashcrash

Noobflyer01 ~

~ Jeff
thanks! . you'll be there in no time buddy. i'm still a noobie. the more you fly the more it makes sense. I did my very first FFF loop 2 days ago.[8D]. very kewl. and for the first time today i did a tic toc. it was sloppy but it i pulled it off. i always thought that tic toc's were done with collective...its actually done with cyclic with alittle collective. half back flip to 2-oclock then half front flip to 10'oclock with collective management. its truly an amazing site and experience when done.

I love it when you guys put in discriptions for control management for stunts....NOBODY ever does that on the other threads.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:37 PM
J-MICHAEL

Noobflyer01 ~

Your welcome ! 2 days ago, I just did my first actual flying that didn't involve just small back and forth passes, and resulted in a crash at the end, but didn't phase me, as I'am so excited that its starting to come together now.... Finally ! This is why, I think a purchase of a EXI-450 might be turned into a 'stump-jumper' so to speak so I can just go out and fly it like I stole it...! And save some cash in the process, along with keeping the parts in the parts bin the same, then move onto a SE-V2, or Mini-Titan E325 SE..... Jay and Vic have seen it already of course....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r10D8KmJxUw

Have a good one,

~ Jeff
Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 PM
noobflyer01

nice vid michael! looks like you're doing great. dont let that crash bother you.

i fly like i dont care if i crash. lol that's the only way to learn. you gotta push the envelope. a good sim is really worth its weight in gold.

BTW i took the weights off the flybar and its rolls and flips alot faster with it off. when you get the handle on the bird and want to fly 3d than taking them off is gonna greatly increase cyclic response.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 AM
crashcrash

nice vid michael! looks like you're doing great. dont let that crash bother you.

i fly like i dont care if i crash. lol that's the only way to learn. you gotta push the envelope. a good sim is really worth its weight in gold.

BTW i took the weights off the flybar and its rolls and flips alot faster with it off. when you get the handle on the bird and want to fly 3d than taking them off is gonna greatly increase cyclic response.
Soooooo...whats removing the weights do for static hover/nose in??? Just wondering.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 AM
J-MICHAEL

noobflyer01 ~

I agree that a sim is a valuable tool for learning. I have the G4 and love it, although I find it very easy compared to the real thing. In the video ya saw above, I had taken my weights off the SA for the first time, and found it much more easier to fly than with the weights on. You'd think opposite, but in my situation made it much better...

Crash ~

I seem to not be able to locate the EXI-450 on Heli-Direct's website ? Could be I'am tired, or maybe I'am looking in the wrong place/area... I also did a search on there site, and it came up with nothing...? I'll go check again.....

Take care,

~ Jeff

Name:	Vt57375.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1028760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59640.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1028761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14065.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1028762  
Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 AM
crashcrash

noobflyer01 ~

I agree that a sim is a valuable tool for learning. I have the G4 and love it, although I find it very easy compared to the real thing. In the video ya saw above, I had taken my weights off the SA for the first time, and found it much more easier to fly than with the weights on. You'd think opposite, but in my situation made it much better...

Crash ~

I seem to not be able to locate the EXI-450 on Heli-Direct's website ? Could be I'am tired, or maybe I'am looking in the wrong place/area... I also did a search on there site, and it came up with nothing...? I'll go check again.....

Take care,

~ Jeff
Sorry guy...helidirect don't carry them (I must be tired too). I THINK I bought my first one from Raiden Tech or someone like that....I forgot (LOL).
Old 09-08-2008, 01:00 AM
J-MICHAEL

Crash ~

No prob... I'am drained and tired also.... Sleep ? What's that ?! This hobby is taking a toll on my sleeping habits ! I would love to see the expressions of these guys driving buy watching what I think to be a EXI-450 with all aluminum from X-HELI...Lol..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA7zz...eature=related

~ Jeff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.