Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Throttle control Q.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Throttle control Q.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle control Q.

Why not just put the throttle on a slider and have a simple pitch set up on the throttle stick as one condition? I have a 12Z 2.4 and a 7c 2.4. With the slider on the 12Z I could assign a throttle signal on a slider for one condition and make new conditions for using a pitch/throttle mix like normaly done on the throttle/pitch stick.. Not possible with the 7c I understand it would need to use the helli mixes. I would kinda like to make the 7c my helli radio eventually but start with the 12Z.
Since I'm new to helli's I thought it would be an easy way to start out learning. I could set the throttle rpm's high as it needed to be and leave it alone while using the stick to adjust pitch. then as I learn the helli I can start to mix the throttle/pitch to sequence together.
This would be for the Copterx Black Angel 450 size helli.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Throttle control Q.

As the pitch changes so does the load on the head. We strive, in most cases, for a constant head speed, as you increase pitch you have to increase throttle or the drag will overcome the lift and the blade will stall or the head will bog. This is the purpose of pitch and throttle curves, add throttle as you add pitch, take away throttle as you lower pitch.

You're trying to go back to the days of the Bell 47 where you had to twist the collective stick to add or reduce throttle as you moved it up and down to climb or descend
Old 12-15-2008, 06:36 PM
altavillan

Hey BH thanks, Here's what lead me to think along these lines. Forgive my ignorance, it will take weeks to get all that programing figured out as it is. But it would be fun to do some hovering as I do figure it out.
I thought the brushless motors try to achieve a certain rpm based on a certain amount of voltage. So the motor has a small amount of governing power already.
And I think I read somewhere that for 3D stuff some pilots set up a high throttle as a constant. Where it doesn't change during maneuvers.
So if the rpm's were set to be powerful enough for lifting the helli. It should be enough for hovering.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:46 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

You can program the switches on your Tx for this. For normal mode, as mentioned above, your throttle curve would be something like 0% at low stick, 25% at 1/4 stick 50% at mid stick 75% at 3/4 stick and 100% at high stick, and pitch curve , depending on the heli, would be something like -2 degrees at low stick, +5 at mid stick, and +9 or 10 at high stick. Then set the switch for stunt mode and set throttle something like 100%-95%-90%-95%-100% and pitch curve -10, -5, 0, +5, +10. This is how you are able to fly the heli inverted. Notice at 3/4 stick, you will have 95% throttle and +5 degrees pitch which would be around a normal hover, and with the heli inverted you would be at about 1/4 stick as this would be the same throttle only the negative pitch would be giving you the same "lift" only upside down. Just remember that while flying in stunt mode , with the heli upright, don't pull down to far on the stick or the negative pitch will bring it crashing to the planet faster than you can blink. These numbers are just an example to give you an idea. You will find that many people set these curves according to their own preferences, and the particular heli they are setting up.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 AM
altavillan

Thanks Jerry, I'm thinking along the lines of "Hold still you sob and don't go anywhere unless I tell you to".