Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Corona unstable??

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Corona unstable??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 02:26 PM
cmacclel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corona unstable??

I recently picked up a corona all ready assembled and it seems very unstable no matter what I can not hover it and it always needs constant stick input. I was looking and it seems the main shaft may not be 100% true would this cause this?? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Chris
Old 06-03-2003, 02:54 PM
spessx

Hey Chris,

Not likely. Corona shafts are made of spring steel and none of them are completely straight. The Corona is not a precision machine but somehow is an excellent flyer. Do the following and you should get it flying stable:

-Balance the main rotor
-Track the main blades - very important
-re set the trims on your radio

After that it should be flying smooth. Corona's are great helis - keep us posted and check ezonemag.com for more advice.

-Stephen
Old 06-03-2003, 03:37 PM
jeffs555

Chris,
Need to know about your flying experience to know if there is a problem with the heli, or if you are expecting too much stability from the Corona. If you are used to 60 sized helis, any small electric will seem less stable, but you should still be able to hover ok. If you have never flown a heli before, the corona is supposed to be one of the best electrics to learn on, but no heli is actually stable. They all require constant stick input to hover, especially when they are close to the ground. The smaller the heli, the less stable they are, and the more they are affected by rotorwash in ground effect.

Jeff
Old 06-03-2003, 04:06 PM
cmacclel

I really have no experience other than realflight G2. I have hundreds of hours on the Sim and can do pretty much all the 3d moves out and hover inverted endlessly. With my corona as i get it off the ground it just randomly goes in any direction it wants and I'm not over compensating. I will look for some web sites to try to understand blade tracking and try to balance the head tonight.

Thanks Chris

PS if you know of anysites on Blade tracking I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:45 PM
jeffs555

Here is a site on blade tracking setup. http://www.littlerotors.com/setup/tracking.asp

You should definately check the blade balance and tracking, but from my little experience with helis, they cause more of a vibration, than an instability. I had some blades that I repaired after crashing, that were way out of balance and track, so that the heli would shake like mad, but it still didn't keep it from hovering.

I don't have G2, so I don't know how well it models ground effects, but I haven't seen a simulator that did really well at that. Try taking the heli up to 4 or 5 feet and see if it becomes more stable. Close to the ground, the rotorwash will toss these small helis all over the place, especially when you are first learning to hover. Also, make sure if you are flying outside, that there is absolutely no wind when you are first learning.

Jeff
Old 06-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Wright Flyer

Originally posted by cmacclel
PS if you know of anysites on Blade tracking I'd appreciate it.
One of the best dscriptions of how to track blades is the bit in the Corona manual about the subject.

Cliff