Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Corona 120 Mods & Hop-ups

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Corona 120 Mods & Hop-ups

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 03:15 PM
jprechel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corona 120 Mods & Hop-ups

Mini boy also has a good point. I went through several "cheapo" soldering irons early in the game and ended up cussing them all. I ended up with a nice weller iron that has a neat base station and it gets nice and hot. I usually use the "4" setting. I think I got it at sears. Kirk at New Creations has some also and it is the iron they use to make all their battery packs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	103714_41972.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	52614  
Old 08-22-2003, 03:37 PM
BWRX

If you plan on doing a lot of soldering that Weller iron you mentioned is DEFINITELY the one to get. That's what we use in the Penn State electronics labs to solder circuit boards and stuff but it works very well for almost anything else you'd need to solder in the RC world.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Mini Boy

Yes, that's a nice rig! I have the same iron, but not the cool variable transformer.

Russ
Old 08-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Zflyer

Thanx Guys I'm using a 60 watt iron I should have thought about the forceps though good idea, but not for nothing in todays Tech society a Deans Ultra is the best we have? Seems some one would come up with a compact tamiya style connector or a variant that could handle the currents and voltages we use I know E-Power is some what new but it wasn't invented yesterday
Old 08-22-2003, 04:39 PM
Mini Boy

Well, I gotta tell ya, when I first laid eyes on one of them there Dean's connectors, I thought ... gee, how difficult would it have been to punch a hole for the wire with the same dies that punch out the pin??????

Russ
Old 08-23-2003, 06:56 AM
tocano

Where I live I can't even get Dean's antenna so I don't have problem with soldering it I quess Sounds like a difficult job to do. I just saw someone seliing an AZAAR antenna and it's 8" long. It doesn't look as nice or strong as Dean's antenna.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Zflyer

Default Antenna

Tocano check this link maybe they carry these down your way http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK820&P=7 The other option would be to utilize the mount holes on the right side of the VE gear for a plastic rod or tube and either insert or wrap around your RX wire just a thought
Old 08-24-2003, 03:07 AM
tocano

Zflyer: I can buy that here but is not as neat as the Dean's antenna. Just being stuborn. I will just use the receiver antenna and attach it to the tail until I find a better solution. I will make my own whip antenna in the future.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:37 PM
Zflyer

Default Helihobby LMH/Corona Stuff

Seems Somebody's listening out there HeliHobby is carrying LMH/Corona replacement parts, Now that's a good thing
Old 08-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Mini Boy

Yes ...

And if you look on the 10th page of HeliHobbies' LMH parts section, they have the Electro Fusion motor "on sale" for only $ 39.95 !! And a couple pages later, 4 Ty-wraps for $ 1.88. Why didn't I get into a racket like that??

Russ
Old 08-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Zflyer

I always wanted a $39.95 Paper weight ! It'll do till I order a replacement seems some like a 15 turn for a brushed. My connectors should be in today (I hope) went with some Team Associated for R/C cars and trucks I'll see how they work. But I've been good haven't rushed out for some Tamiya's or put it up in the wind we've been having So it's still in one piece waiting for the proper time and equipment.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Mini Boy

Hi Z man!

Well, the Atomic Force motor from Tower Hobbies that LOTS of folks have had very good luck with is only $ 20.00 if I recollect ... and I think I've heard comments that it will outlive an Electro fusion by many times, and with way less maintenance. 'Course, I suppose there are enough dudes out there that haven't found these forums, so LMH, HeliHobby and others can "keep kechin' fish" !? This is why Mike Roffee's operation is so great, he warns people about this up front, before they spend too much $$ on the wrong stuff.

Well, best to take it easy, and wait for the right weather and all ... it saves a lot of wasted time & $$ !! I haven't flown mine for almost two months ... with Harley trips, classic car shows, a few boat rides in between, yard stuff, a bit of R/C boating, etc., there just isn't enough time for everything!!

Got a second place at the Vernon CT Chrysler Convention last Sunday .... that was pretty exciting. My first show!!

Chat Later,

Russ
Old 08-27-2003, 09:58 PM
Zflyer

Congrats on the 2nd Place I know that 's not an easy thing to do with all the Details to cover. Got the connectors a little smaller than I thought but they work so I'll keep an eye on the contacts. I'm thinking about a Trinity Speed gems or Retro Monster for a replacement either is under $35 and have ball bearings and are adjustable and are made for todays NICADS/NHIMS in the 2600 to 3000 range. Put her up for a couple of small hops ditched the training gear after the first (it came off so) one had a nice 55 second slow arc to the right brought it back left and down a little hard then up again after battery adjustment another decent attempt at hover had to back it up from the porch. I think I've got to go up to the park, My front yard's just a little small at 30 X 50 for this until I get better but gaining more and more control each time up
Old 08-28-2003, 01:36 AM
Zflyer

Default Man This is GREAT!!!!!

Just came in from some more front yard Hops and I gotta tell Ya what a time, I had it up for about 3 Mins non-stop in about an 8' area when it went astray I eased the throttle down touched down placed it back on the side walk and spun up again WOW!!
I nailed the T/R down with the tip from Knimrod about pre-loaded T/R. at first it just wanted to drift right a little to much so I backed it off and now no more spin before lift off just a little wag and she's dead on can't wait till I can hover a full pack with no touch downs. THANX GUY'S this is great and to think this is only the 4th time I've had it out, even started adjusting the trim a little since it was in the air long enough to see what it was doing. This beats the heck out of the HummingBird as far as a trainer heck I'm even smiling and not cursing cause I broke something new like I did on the HBird after the first 5 minutes trying to hover
Old 08-28-2003, 01:50 AM
Mini Boy

Z!

Sounds GREAT!!!

I can almost see your ear to ear grin from here! It sure is a rush when you start to feel comfortable, and begin to gain a little confidence. Don't get cocky, though ... take your time, keep cool. Practice, practice, practice will improve your flights a little every time out.

Happy & Safe flying,

Russ
Old 08-28-2003, 03:07 AM
Zflyer

Thanx Mini Boy, the only other thing is now I've got to get the other pack up to snuff since I only had one connector set that came with the Corona I only used one of the packs, Tried another series of hops and pack #2 needs to be broke in, not nearly as much time so I've got to cycle that one, other than that nothing but good things happening now.

Frank
Old 08-28-2003, 09:36 AM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by Zflyer
Thanx Guys I'm using a 60 watt iron I should have thought about the forceps though good idea, but not for nothing in todays Tech society a Deans Ultra is the best we have? Seems some one would come up with a compact tamiya style connector or a variant that could handle the currents and voltages we use I know E-Power is some what new but it wasn't invented yesterday
Hey, check out the Astro Flight zero loss connectors, they slide on and off a lot easier than dean's ultra and offer low resistance. I use the 3 pin version for my brushless motor esc connection on my Logo 10 and also used it on my Ve and Corona with great success, they have the 2 pin version for batteries, they are kind a pricey though but really nice....

http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/wir...7_products.htm
Old 08-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Zflyer

Thanx Astronut30 I will look into replacing the ones I have with the Zero loss, from what I see that's what I should have ordered
Old 08-30-2003, 01:11 AM
Zflyer

Default Latest Flight Report

What can I say about the Corona that hasn't been said, Well from a Newbie's point of view what it's like to have a 41/2 minute flight with no touch downs after the second day of flights, Being able to show a select few that yes it dose fly and yes I can fly it.
Learning the soft touch on the throttle to handle ballooning in a light breeze, Heck to even know what ballooning is and not over compensate with the throttle, just the fact that I can keep it in the air long enough to actually learn something is a Big step forward to what I was doing before. The only other thing I can say and not nearly enough is Thanx Guys, thanx for all the help and suggestions and the Patience with a Newbie trying to get started in this Hobby. Hope to have some pic's real soon of it and me in the air and in control

Frank aka Zflyer
Old 08-30-2003, 08:10 AM
astronut30

Hey man, great to hear about your hover sessions, that's exciting. These heli's are so addicting aren't they?!
Old 08-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Mini Boy

Hey Z!

Congratulations again!!!

You'll find yourself gaining a bit more confidence with each flight, and soon you'll be as comfortable as can be ... just don't get too overconfident too fast! That's when you'll be grounded waiting for parts.

Astro's right, the heli addiction factor is incredible.

As for the help, we all enjoy helping newcomers, as we were helped by more experienced builders/pilots when we started out. You'll be doing the same for newer newbies than yourself!

Keep up the good practice, and Happy and SAFE hovering/flying.

Don't forget the RADD method,

Russ
Old 08-30-2003, 11:55 PM
astronut30

Yea, take your time, don't rush it, hehe, although the Corona is forgiving to mistakes...

The Logo 10 on the other hand isn't quite as forgiving, I got to confident a couple weeks ago, doing some high speed low passes and accidentally took one a little too steep, plus the angle I was at caused me to lose orientation and I slammed it into the ground costed me about $200 to repair... Luckily, I didn't damage any electronics or my battery pack, I was actually very lucky and greatful...

I just got it back up in the air a couple days ago and ran a few packs since, man the rust kicks in fast, just taking my time having fun, I been very gun shy but don't wanna make another stupid mistake Although it does give excuse to add more goodies, it always gets better after a crash, hehe

have fun!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2003, 12:38 PM
Zflyer

Thanx Mini Boy & Astronut30, Yeah it is addictive some times to the opposite of common sense , I put her up in less than favorable conditions yesterday not real bad but I was off on my throttle control and had 2 hard landings (not crashes) with 2 very hard boom strikes the good thing is the Carbon Boom is fine it takes a strike and keeps on ticking the bad thing is that since it dosen't give something else will, So now I'm missing about an inch off of one of my Main Rotor Blades, So I 've got some on the way. Other than that still very happy with the Corona and would recommend it to any and all beginners
Old 08-31-2003, 02:41 PM
Zflyer

Tocano how are you doing with your Corona haven't herd from ya lately wondering if you got her up or not
Old 09-01-2003, 02:20 AM
astronut30

Originally posted by Zflyer
Thanx Mini Boy & Astronut30, Yeah it is addictive some times to the opposite of common sense , I put her up in less than favorable conditions yesterday not real bad but I was off on my throttle control and had 2 hard landings (not crashes) with 2 very hard boom strikes the good thing is the Carbon Boom is fine it takes a strike and keeps on ticking the bad thing is that since it dosen't give something else will, So now I'm missing about an inch off of one of my Main Rotor Blades, So I 've got some on the way. Other than that still very happy with the Corona and would recommend it to any and all beginners
Hey, just to let you know, you can cut an inch off the other blade, smooth both of them out and you can still use it. You may even find that you get a little higher headspeed and little better stability....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.