Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Which motor for my 450? And what Type of heli is it lol

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Which motor for my 450? And what Type of heli is it lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Aus_Panther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which motor for my 450? And what Type of heli is it lol

Easy question for all you experts, I need a new motor and speed controller for my 450 class heli (wanna be a t-rex clone crap thing lol) and as I only use it for a bit of a sacrificial trial thrash about thing and use my nitro's for evryday flying I am looking at cheap and nasty off e-bay. The motors and esc I am looking at are mystery brand but the problem is I don't know the differance when it comes to "Rpm(Kv): 3000Rpm/V" I am looking at either a 3000 or 5000. Following is the advertised specs. Being a dumb nitro guy I would have thought the 500 was a better choice but the specs say it is smaller in size so now I am totally confused. oh and Here is a link to the e-bay listing
Thanks in advance

Rpm(Kv): 3000Rpm/V
Max Currect: 25A
Recommended Input Voltage: 6 - 18 Volt
Max Eff: 96%
Weight: 51g (Motor only)
Total Length: 45.6mm (Motor and Shaft)
Motor Body Diameter: 25.9mm
Shaft Diameter: 2.26mm(Front)
Shaft Length: 13.3mm

Rpm(Kv): 5000Rpm/V
Weight: 35g (Motor only)
Total Length: 40.1mm (Motor and Shaft)
Motor Body Diameter: 27.8mm
Shaft Length: 13.9mm

1700 (just for comparision as well)
Rpm(Kv): 1700Rpm/V
Max Currect: 28A
Recommended Input Voltage: 6 -20 Volt
Weight: 73g (Motor only)
Total Length: 54mm (Motor and Shaft)
Shaft Diameter: 3.98mm(Front)
Shaft Length: 15.1
Old 11-02-2009, 11:26 PM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which motor for my 450? And what Type of heli is it lol

ORIGINAL: Aus_Panther

Easy question for all you experts, I need a new motor and speed controller for my 450 class heli (wanna be a t-rex clone crap thing lol) and as I only use it for a bit of a sacrificial trial thrash about thing and use my nitro's for evryday flying I am looking at cheap and nasty off e-bay. The motors and esc I am looking at are mystery brand but the problem is I don't know the differance when it comes to ''Rpm(Kv): 3000Rpm/V'' I am looking at either a 3000 or 5000. Following is the advertised specs. Being a dumb nitro guy I would have thought the 500 was a better choice but the specs say it is smaller in size so now I am totally confused. oh and Here is a link to the e-bay listing
Thanks in advance

Rpm(Kv): 3000Rpm/V
Weight: 51g (Motor only)
Total Length: 45.6mm (Motor and Shaft)
Motor Body Diameter: 25.9mm
Shaft Length: 13.3mm

Rpm(Kv): 5000Rpm/V
Weight: 35g (Motor only)
Total Length: 40.1mm (Motor and Shaft)
Shaft Length: 13.9mm

1700 (just for comparision as well)
Rpm(Kv): 1700Rpm/V
Max Currect: 28A
Recommended Input Voltage: 6 -20 Volt
Weight: 73g (Motor only)
Total Length: 54mm (Motor and Shaft)
Shaft Diameter: 3.98mm(Front)
Shaft Length: 15.1

Depend on you, but you should get a good brushless so it can grow with you. I got the scorpion 2221-6 and running on 9 teeth pinion because its a very powerful motor.
Also I run 2500mah lipo battery and gives me around 7 min. I got it so i can grow with it and add a higher pinion once i'm ready to jump. You maybe want a 2221-8
you get longer flight with it then 2221-6. Scorpion motor gets 2 year warranty. I only paid less then 60 dollar for my brushless motor and it run on a 40 amp speed
control. Don't go for cheap brushless cheap brushless motor will poop on you anytime and sometime ruin the speed control with it and plus lipo.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 AM
Aus_Panther

Whilst this is obviously great advise as this is just a sacrificial heli maby I should re-phrase the question and ask which of the cheap 'mystery' one's I listed would suit lol
Old 11-03-2009, 04:20 AM
jcervantes11

I say none will suit you're need and reliability w/e it is spelled. Ok, lets talks cheap. If you're going to put a cheap motor, skip mystery motor and go for a Turnigy E500 6T 4000Kv 200W Heli Motor. But its out of stack. How much money do you plan to spend for motor and esc? Heres the info i think is good for cheap price.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6316
TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OYKO0MGYsg[/youtube]
Old 11-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Aus_Panther

Ok so I am no-where near that good at flying lol and I figure for $20.00 au for both motor and esc and seem's how it is more than likely still going to outlast the heli (prob wreck it every half battery lol)the cheaper the better.
The following vid of me flying my Pantera shows what stage I am at with my learning to fly heli's. I am self taught (and yes it shows lol) with the exception of what I have read on forum's such as this one and of course a bit of time on realflight g4. 19 years of flying plank's has helped a bit but I think after watching heaps of stickcam vids I will probably never be an extremely good 3d pilot as I fly mode 1 and I think that mode 2 with both cyclic controls on the same stick ease's thing like piroflips ect. I have no intention of flying comp with any heli (except maby scale when I get a Bell 222 fuse for the Pantera) more of just a weekend hack out with a few mates who fly planks. (they hate it when the mudflats we fly at are damp and they have trouble getting up enough airspeed to take off and I tell them to buy a heli lol)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqADozTSiYg[/youtube]
Old 11-03-2009, 12:10 PM
noobflyer01

Hey Aus,  that's not bad flying at all buddy.  Great job.   nice and steady flying mate.  I see 3D in your future.

As far as answering your question:   out of the two choices you listed I would recommend the 3000kv motor with either the 14T or 15T pinion.
The 5000kv motor is a bit high for a 450. 

Have you heard of the hobbymate motor?   they are very inexpensive but perform great.     this one:   http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20082       just another option.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:45 PM
jcervantes11

3000kv is a weenie, i have a 3000kv well it is meant for noobs.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:34 PM
jcervantes11

So you think that a cheap brushless would last longer then you're helicopter? Bull ****, i've seen heli catch on fire with using cheap esc and brushless motor.
Nice rolls and stuff, you are ready, spend a bit more. Why buy a 20-30 dollar on esc and motor and l8ter pay another 50-80 dollars. You're skill and mind lasting
20 years flying airplanes yet haven't learn?? I fly airplanes since i was a mama boy and flying my own ucontrol cox plane that my dad gave me. Technology is
getting better and a scorpion motor is cheap now, low end of their brushless to highend cost around what 50 something. Infact their own low end brushless motor
cost the same as their powerful 2221-6 motor. You're skill and stuff get a better motor, have a jewl in you're life, get a cheap esc like turnigy for the scorpion and
you would admire. I've flown airplanes like if there was no tomarrow. Helicopter is something different. Spend more on heli, spend less on airplane. Never spend less
on motor on a plane. Why? Have you went through a bad nitro motor for going cheap? Same crap. I've been flying airplanes since 20 years ago. I learned my mistake.
I have a mystery motor. It's a piece of ****. Hell, I'll give you with esc, want it? It still work, its no close to a power house, even my os 32 sx-h has more power on my raptor 30 then mystery. Give me 10 american dollar for shipping. Message me and i'll give you my email of pay pal. Oh hey i like you're flying skill. Thumbs up.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:52 PM
jcervantes11

Hey panther do you want this combo? Just pay shipping, no profit here. And you can buy a more tooth pinion and probably give you more head spin if you want or just use the pinion it comes with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35114.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1307674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29453.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1307675  
Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Aus_Panther

ORIGINAL: jcervantes11

Spend more on heli, spend less on airplane. Never spend less
on motor on a plane. Why? Have you went through a bad nitro motor for going cheap?
Already ahead of ya there. After stopping flying for 3 years and starting back into the hobby I bought a CM-Pro Giles 202 and a Titan 50. Spent almost $6000au to get back into it. Wrecked the giles and now only fly heli's. As for going cheap with the nitro's. Bought a Hyper for the raptor and after blowing it twice replaced it with a Redline and won't look back. in this case the cheeper motor is way better lol
Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
jcervantes11

ORIGINAL: Aus_Panther

ORIGINAL: jcervantes11

Spend more on heli, spend less on airplane. Never spend less
on motor on a plane. Why? Have you went through a bad nitro motor for going cheap?
Already ahead of ya there. After stopping flying for 3 years and starting back into the hobby I bought a CM-Pro Giles 202 and a Titan 50. Spent almost $6000au to get back into it. Wrecked the giles and now only fly heli's. As for going cheap with the nitro's. Bought a Hyper for the raptor and after blowing it twice replaced it with a Redline and won't look back. in this case the cheeper motor is way better lol

But thunder tiger engine isn't cheap . Their 39 engine is very cheap and people have issue but still thunder tiger is a huge great company that offer grea support.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Aus_Panther

Woo Hoo. got the original motor re-maunted (holes need to be re-tepped and bigger screws used) and a mate lent me one of his surplus ESC's and test flight seems all ok. Now I just have to find out what sort of heli it is lol. Thanks for all the advise
Oh and please no comments about it being a cheap piece of crap and I should have bought this, that or the other I already know this lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85308.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1313866