Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Feda Pitch Problems

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Feda Pitch Problems

Old 07-23-2003, 09:48 PM
jdwannam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feda Pitch Problems

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the board. There is so much great information here I have been reading and searching through this board for all my problems.

I have a Feda Dragonfly and have gone through about 25 packs on it, crashed it a few times and bought some replacement blades. I've also added the shaft collar modification and an aluminum swashplate. The heli seems alot more responsive and gets longer battery life with the mods.

My problem is this: The heli is spinning clockwise, no matter how I adjust the trim on the TX. Unfortunately with the latest incarnation of the Dragonfly there is no onboard adjustment for the gain on the gyro. Aparently it has a factory default setting. What I have been doing is setting the TX trim all the way to the right, hoping that the reciever would think that was center when I plugged in the battery. Once the red light comes on I'll move the trim all the way to the left. This lessens the problem, but at full throttle it still requires quite a bit of compensation to keep it from pitching to the right. I can hold the heli in my hand and spin the rotor up to full throttle, and it's aparent that heli spins/pitches harder to the right the more throttle it gets, such that at full throttle the heli would spin very quickly clockwise. The tail rotor just seems to turn too fast.

Has anyone had this problem, and have you found the cause/solution?

I'm thinking maybe bending less pitch into the tail rotor blade but I wanted to ask here before I did anything I can't undo.

I did originally adjust the pot on the dragonfly board but from what I've read thats just a freqency adjustment for the reviever. Since I messed with it I can't seem to find the right setting to eliminate the jitters and singal loss. Has anyone found an easy way to re-calibrate this?

Thanks for the help!

Fedadfnewbie

PS: I have a miniDV cam I can take a few photos and clips of the setup if that would help diagnose the problem.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:34 PM
kenru

It almost sounds like you have the gyro on upside-down...
Old 07-24-2003, 08:30 PM
jdwannam

Default Gyro Mount

I don't think that would be the problem because all the electronics are factory installed and on one board. The board only fits one way into the mount also.

I am able to hover but to keep the heli pointing one direction I have to hold the rudder halfway to the left all the time to counteract the spin. At full throttle I have to hold the rudder almost all the way to the left. When it's at low speed and light on the ground the rudder works correctly and I can move the heli right or left easily.

I'm begining to think this is just crappy electronics to blame and I should upgrade to a picoboard or multi-component system. I just feel bad doing that considering it will cost me more than the entire heli kit just to buy new electronics.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:14 PM
kenru

Well, full left stick should stop the tail motor (with the tail pointing toward you). Left stick allows the tail boom to swing to the right turning the canopy to the left. Something sounds odd with your setup.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:35 PM
jdwannam

Default Any ideas?

Anyone have any ideas or experienced similar problems? The heli is still spinning clockwise even with the rudder pitch trim all the way to the left.

Is it bad electronics? Should I send it back to rc-expert or buy another controller board. Or invest in a piccoboard?

Thanks,

fedadfnewbie
Old 11-11-2003, 04:01 PM
hpcre

Default RE: Any ideas?

ok I may be suggesting the obvious here,

but it would not hurt to recheck all the wiring, especially to the Gyro. Also, the gyro should have a LED on it that will turn red (or yellow or orange) when it is still adjusting.. then turn GREEN when it has adjusted and ready. check that when you are hovering that the gyro LED is green. Also take back the trim to its center position and watch the tail rotor blade .. if its spining FAST then its wrong. it should spin just about half throttle. Also check the tail rotor blades are not too much bent.. it should only about 30 degrees..

I'm still a newbie too, but hope this helps
Old 11-11-2003, 06:26 PM
avance_x

Try to replace the tail motor!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:39 PM
MTDV
My Feedback: (58)

For the tail blade: I used the GWS EP-6050 to replace the original tail blade, and it worked just fine (require a little work for the tail shaft enlargement.)
For the combo board readjustment without using any meter: there are two coils. Look for the one nearest to the antenna, and this is used to match the impedance. Carry the transmitter with a colapsed antenna around the receiver (30 feet or more in all directions), and tune it until you get the best distance (be sure not touching the coil while doing the range test). The other coil is used for frequency selectivety. Trim the coil in both way (clockwise and counter clockwise) until you lost the signal, and place the coil in the mid trim. This does not guarantee the best solution for glitchless, but it does some recovery for your receiver. Twist it around to get the least glitch. I hope this would help a little. Godd luck and happy hovering.

MTDV
Old 02-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Rayan

FYI: The Feda Dragonfly has only one red led. It blinks at calibration for about 5 secs. and then it stays lit during flight...
Old 02-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Super-Hornet

Default RE: Feda Pitch Problems

Hi fedadfnewbie and all

I think fedadfnewbie is refering to all in one board. Am I right fedadfnewbie?

If you can't find anything to tune in your All in One board or there is nothing to tune, maybe we need to play around your tail motor instead.

I got 3 possible solution for u:
1 - maybe to try to bend your tail rotor blade to have less pitch.
2 - Add one or more Diode to your tail motor (In series). Each Diode (I'm refering to Silicon Type. Not Germanium) has a voltage drop of 0.7Volt. This will reduce the voltage to your tail rotor.
3 - Replace your All-in-One board to separate type and a gyro.

Super-Hornet
Old 02-29-2004, 05:34 PM
gshoaf

I have the same problem with mine. I've shortened the tail rotor length and trimmed off some of the pitch. I helped a little. If you find a solution, let me know.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:29 AM
briguy27

FEDA Dragonfly
ball in swash
ms hornet fp carbon blades w/14 tooth pinion
all-in-one board (red light only) Zhen transmitter
direct drive gws tail
370 mabushi main
1320 thunderpower lipo
15 minutes of hard fast flight
There are several solutions to this problem,either increase the pitch of your main blades or increase your pinion size to make your main motor draw more which would help compensate for the extra voltage at the tail,you can also try to fool the gyro by slowly spinning your heli clockwise during start-up(light flashing transmitter OFF) after the light goes off turn on your transmitter and cycle the tail channel fully in both directions (fly at your own risk at this point)then reset by disconnecting your heli batt. and going through the normal startup with your transmitter on.See if the helps ,you may have to do this several times to get the gyro to !QUOT!remember!QUOT! its new position. This does work if done correctly.
Worst case you may have to open up your transmitter and break the plastic weld on the rear of the trim arm which you can see very easily was melted at the factory.A file works or it can be easily cut through with a razor blade.Change its position until your problem is solved an super glue back together.This works very well also
Old 03-02-2004, 02:42 AM
briguy27

"Correction" for the last post, turn slowly counter clockwise for too much tail thrust or clockwise for too little!!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:49 PM
blueprints

COuld Anyone here recommend a good CF blade for e DragonFly. Everything i hv now is stock parts. I hope to change to CF blades for better control n forward flying. Thanx guys.