RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/)
-   -   Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/4826535-falcon-40-exceed-heli-forum.html)

Agador Sparticus 12-08-2007 08:03 PM

RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Fellas,
Word to the wise - be careful when connecting your lipo charger to the 12v dc. I smoked or rather sparked my esky lipo charger when I accidentally reversed the polarity to my pc power supply charger. I will be sending another order to ushobby supply in the near future. The bird is grounded.

Kevin

USHobbySupply 12-08-2007 08:31 PM

Better the charger than the lipo going up in flames

Bones27 12-08-2007 09:01 PM

Trebo, welcome to the group. Check post 411 page 17 for a link to a metal rotor core. This is the only place I have ever seen any metal upgrade parts for this heli other than the titanium tail boom that Super Skids sells.

Agador Sparticus 12-09-2007 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: USHobbySupply

Better the charger than the lipo going up in flames
No Kidding - look on youtube for some great lipo battery meltdowns. Those things burn like magnesium flares when used / charged improperly.

mrasmm 12-09-2007 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Agador Sparticus

Fellas,
Word to the wise - be careful when connecting your lipo charger to the 12v dc. I smoked or rather sparked my esky lipo charger when I accidentally reversed the polarity to my pc power supply charger. I will be sending another order to ushobby supply in the near future. The bird is grounded.

Kevin

it does have reverse polarity protection.... so I wonder what it was that cause the problem with the charger to make it smoke.

hehe, yeah like everyone else said, you're pretty lucky nothing worse happened =)

TreBo: welcome to RCU =)

gpach 12-09-2007 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pictures of AL rotor core. I have ordered a couple of these but they have not come in. The only part I seem to break on a regular basis is the core. Especially when flying outside in the cold. If anyone is interest on the fit let me know. should be here next week.

Regards

Agador Sparticus 12-10-2007 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: mrasmm

Fellas,

Kevin

it does have reverse polarity protection.... so I wonder what it was that cause the problem with the charger to make it smoke.

hehe, yeah like everyone else said, you're pretty lucky nothing worse happened =)

TreBo: welcome to RCU =)
mrasmm, I will look at the esky charge unit again. When I hooked it up wrong to the pc power supply a spark came out of the green charge unit. I was hoping there would be a fuse inside but I did not see one.

crimsonrain22 12-10-2007 01:40 PM

gpach, How about a source on where you got the metal rotor head been looking for some metal parts for my falcon.

Rdrunner 12-10-2007 03:26 PM

I have the aluminum head, has never been used, $25.00 shipping included. PM me for details

KCinNC 12-11-2007 11:49 AM

please help me narrow this down....

my Falcon started getting all crazy all of a sudden...all the servos started jittering and the motor acted like it wanted to start spinning..all batteries are fresh....the reciever is suppose to blink rapidly while setting up...it just blinks slow and i don't get any response from TX to the RX now...I ordered a new reciever from Michael...does the same thing. i tried swapping out the crystals from another 72 mh radio....same thing

do the crystals have to be a special 72# for the Falcon TX/RX?
or maybe my TX is just out

i know it is something simple..i just don't want to buying up parts that aren't the problem

any tips ? KC

crimsonrain22 12-11-2007 01:06 PM

Anyone know a place to buy the m24 blades for a falcon. Looking for something better for forward flight. The stock blades tend to pitch up to much when going in fast forward. I have heard the m24 blades work good I just cant find anyone who carries them.

KCinNC 12-11-2007 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: crimsonrain22

Anyone know a place to buy the m24 blades for a falcon. Looking for something better for forward flight. The stock blades tend to pitch up to much when going in fast forward. I have heard the m24 blades work good I just cant find anyone who carries them.

UltimateHobbies

[link]http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=KYOCA1015!1012[/link]

you'll need a stronger motor to turn these ;)

soul 12-11-2007 08:10 PM

I am facing the same twitching problem on a brand new Falcon 40. The left/right cyclic controls operate okay, but the fore/aft cyclic has random twitches at the end of the stroke. This makes it very difficult to fly. Also the controls dont respond correctly, is there any manual or instructions to check if the controls are configured correctly?

crimsonrain22 12-11-2007 08:34 PM

KCinNC thanks for the link I will check them out.

five-string 12-12-2007 07:24 AM

Hi guys. I am considering one of these and have a question or two....

1. Can you upgrade these to a brushless motor(s) without replacing the 4in1 unit?

2. Can I run this heli with my Futaba 6EXH radio (72mhz)? I bought the radio a while ago as a backup for my planes.

Thanks for the help. This will be my first real heli, beyond the Havoc 2ch.

five-string 12-12-2007 07:48 AM

I built my battery charger from a PC power supply yesterday. Thanks for the link Bones. It's easy to do and fun if you like tinkering with stuff like that. I do have a question though. On the side of the PC power supply it says 12A at +12V. I should be getting a max 12A of DC power.
I connected a automotive light bulb to my leads and it immediately trips the power supply. It should be able to light a bulb right? This also happens if I turn on the power supply before plugging in the lipo charge unit. If I plug the charge unit in before turning on the pc power supply, all is well and it charges the battery. Just curious to know if this is normal. I assume it's a design to protect the power supply.

kevin
Agador, I happened across your post while researching this heli.

I have built 60+ of these power supplies fom pc units.

First, don't use it as a charger! You will be putting 12 amps into your poor little batteries, WAY too much current. Most chargers only put 100mA or 1/10 of 1 amp in during charge. You will damage your batteries this way.

Second, yes your power supply should run an auto bulb, or a dozen bulbs or more at a time. If you didn't install a power resistor in the unit when you converted it, it may not work properly. I can give you more guidance if you pm me on the subject.

By the way they do make excellent power supplies for running battery chargers, as a source for bench testing equipment, etc. I have sold a bunch of them on Ebay and 6 or so here on RCU recently.

Now, back to the show....

Wheelnut 12-12-2007 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: five-string

I built my battery charger from a PC power supply yesterday. Thanks for the link Bones. It's easy to do and fun if you like tinkering with stuff like that. I do have a question though. On the side of the PC power supply it says 12A at +12V. I should be getting a max 12A of DC power.
I connected a automotive light bulb to my leads and it immediately trips the power supply. It should be able to light a bulb right? This also happens if I turn on the power supply before plugging in the lipo charge unit. If I plug the charge unit in before turning on the pc power supply, all is well and it charges the battery. Just curious to know if this is normal. I assume it's a design to protect the power supply.

kevin

First, don't use it as a charger! You will be putting 12 amps into your poor little batteries, WAY too much current. Most chargers only put 100mA or 1/10 of 1 amp in during charge. You will damage your batteries this way.

Second, yes your power supply should run an auto bulb, or a dozen bulbs or more at a time. If you didn't install a power resistor in the unit when you converted it, it may not work properly. I can give you more guidance if you pm me on the subject.

By the way they do make excellent power supplies for running battery chargers, as a source for bench testing equipment, etc. I have sold a bunch of them on Ebay and 6 or so here on RCU recently.

five-string,
He said he was using the power supply with a lipo charger. I don't think he meant to say that he built a battery charger. I think he meant to say that he built a power supply for his battery charger.
Kevin, could you confirm what you meant?

Agador Sparticus 12-12-2007 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

kevin

five-string,
He said he was using the power supply with a lipo charger. I don't think he meant to say that he built a battery charger. I think he meant to say that he built a power supply for his battery charger.
Kevin, could you confirm what you meant?
Your right Wheelnut - I use the power supply I built to connect the lipo charge to. It works great. My earlier post about the light bulb has been resolved. It will power automotive bulbs super bright, you just have to make all the connections before turning it on or it will trip the power supply.
Thanks For the Responses

USHobbySupply 12-12-2007 01:10 PM

Hi guys. I am considering one of these and have a question or two....

1. Can you upgrade these to a brushless motor(s) without replacing the 4in1 unit?

2. Can I run this heli with my Futaba 6EXH radio (72mhz)? I bought the radio a while ago as a backup for my planes.

Thanks for the help. This will be my first real heli, beyond the Havoc 2ch.
The stock 4&1 will not drive a brushles motor. YOu need something like this:
http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...roducts_id=423
or
http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...roducts_id=386

In order to use your Futaba, you would have to get:
Separate RX
ESC (either brushed or brushless)
Mixer (for main to tail motor mix)
Gyro

Or you can get a 2&1 (mixer/ESC)
http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...products_id=91
YOu need a rx and gyro to complete

Or a 3&1 (eflite makes one, i'm out of stock)
That means all you need is a RX. I run one this way. Futaba RX and 3&1, works great

Michael

five-string 12-12-2007 01:52 PM

Thanks for the response, Michael. Glad to hear Kevin got his issue resolved.

I am not sure what to do yet. I was seriously considering a Honeybee King2 but I feel certain I will go through a time of replacing parts and less than ideal landings. I think I might be better off with this less expensive substitute. Any suggestions? I am not looking for a mega 3D machine, just something sturdy enough to cut my heli teeth on...

ChuckCanavi 12-12-2007 02:46 PM

The HBKII is going to be your best bet.

USHobbySupply 12-12-2007 02:57 PM

If you've ruled out the COAX birds, then a next step could be a FP bird. inexpensive and very cheap to fix (2for1 plastic parts). Also, about 50% of the crashes you can fly away from. Not so on a CP bird.

They are tough to fly, but if you can fly a FP, you can da** near fly anything. Its what I cut my teeth on. Would not have had it any other way.

Hi CC!!!

Michael

five-string 12-12-2007 03:12 PM

Ummm, I'm not up on the terminology, a coax would be a two channel, like the Havoc Heli? A Falcon is a fixed pitch, correct?

I am still thinking the HBK2 is above my needs/wallet. (for now)

From the 10 or so pages of this thread I've read, you all seem pretty happy with these little birds. It would appear a fellow could get a few flights in right out of the box.

I am reading Radd's pages now and have been flying FMS with my Futaba radio for several weeks now.

junginator 12-12-2007 03:22 PM

hi guys,
i purchased my first falcon 40 and this is the first rc heli i've ever owned so there's alot i do not know.
many questions comes to mind but ill start off with 1. on the remote control, i have accidently hit couple
servo reversing switches, and i do not know the default settings for them. can anyone give me a hand?

crimsonrain22 12-12-2007 04:49 PM

Five-string
A coaxal is a dual bladed heli like the cocolama or the blade cx that the blades spin in opposite directions and have no tail blade. Very stable to fly dont handle wind at all and a great starter if you want something to play with. The Falcon 40 is a fixed pitch and are the best starter heli's if you want to learn how to fly heli's and a great way to start before you move up to a full collective heli. Fixed pitch has about 1/2 the moving parts of a collective and very little setup in comparison. The havoc are considered 2 channel palm sized heli's more of a toy then a rc helicopter but they are fun to fly. All you have with them is up, down, and tail. Flying a rc heli eather fixed pitch or collective is like trying to balance a golf ball on a tooth pick but very rewarding when you learn the ins and outs of them.