RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/)
-   -   Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/4826535-falcon-40-exceed-heli-forum.html)

UTM 05-12-2008 09:59 AM

RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

ORIGINAL: kawgomoo

hey everyone, i come seeking some words of wisdom...and/or encouragement :)

right now i own a blade cp which i absolutely CAN NOT fly. ive had it for, well years really. i crash alot and dink around but nothing i could even remotely consider a real flight. i fly my planes fine, but this heli thing is killing me. i got into the e-heli so i could have something to do in the house. the blade seems a bit too large, and completely uncontrollable for a living room flyer.

so my question is.... for something in the cheap living room flyer catergory, how does the falcon 40 stack up? is it stable? durable? how big is it in all honesty?

im kinda of stuck beteween this heli, a walkera 4#3, HBFP, or maybe even a coax heli.

id like something cheap, around 100 bucks. any more than that and i know ill just end up getting a trex 450sa arf. which isnt what i really need.. but you know how boys with there toys are.

so basically i need cost effective, STABLE, good trainer for pilot with absolutely no skills.

i already own spektrum, lipo's, chargers, brushless esc's and motors from all my plane crap.. so upgrades shouldnt be too costly. but i would like it to fly decent right out the box!!!!

as always i appreciate the help, ive tried to find the answer im looking for but in 230 pages of posts im just lost.
Kaw - Welcome! The Falcon is a 300 class heli just like the blade CP. It is about the same size. It works fine as a livingroom flyer. The headspeed for a FP is not as high as the CP's and the blades are plastic so it will not cause too much damage in the event of furniture jumping out and hitting the heli:D With a little setup you can get the Falcon to be pretty stable. Check out my most recent hover training vid. You can see that stability is achievable. http://youtube.com/watch?v=qj1ahVQta_g
It is certainly not as stable as coax but then again you'll not find a single rotor heli of any size that is. Coax are just designed to be stable thus making them very tame but also very limited in preformance. I do own a CX2 and it's a blast to fly inside but they are outgrown very quickly and you'll want to pick up something else shortly after buying it. The Falcon is very similar to the HBFP and pretty much the same as the Walkera 4#1. I fly my falcon pretty much stock. I did put superskids on it. I swear by them . I have crashed my heli so badly that it was basically destroyed and have not had to replace the superskids at all. They also add weight which increased headspeed and provides a more stable hover. You are on a thread which has some biased opinions on FP helis but I'm sure anybody here would recomend the Falcon as a good low cost trainer.

Good luck!

UTM 05-12-2008 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Great_life

I like to share the way I did the boom support and retained the stock battery tray on Superskid at the same time. So far the rigid structure has been strong enough to withstand hard crashes. Knock on woods. The tension from the 2 curved carbon rods reinforce the boom structure like a curved carbon tennis racket head.
Like the support. Looks cool too. I'm sure it provides great support. Maybe next time I break one of mine I will give that a try. Right now I run mine with a modified SuperSkids support. I straightened out the loops at the back of the support pulled the vinyl off and put CF tubing on it their place. Works pretty well and gives very solid support to the boom. It'd be nice to loose the heavy SuperSkids fin though. Might have to give it a go.

Nice Mod!:D

I didn't get the oppertunity to give my FFF another go this weekend as it was raining, blowing, and thundering here in good ole central Indiana all weekend. Today is sunny but the wind is blowing. I did get plenty of packs in my garage though. Good hover training. I'm getting more confident with my side-in both right and left and also with doing piros. I can now regularly pull off the piro in a fairly tight space. Just have to make sure the heli is very level and stable before I go. Any drift at the start of the manuver just gets amplified by spinning and I end up loosing it. I am really enjoying the tail authority of my new lengthened tail boom. I would've never thought that 1.5" could make such a big difference. This just may be the answer to all my tail issues. The motor spins at noticably less RPMs which can only improve the life span and I have plenty of umph in reserve for tail manipulation. As a matter of fact I can now spin the heli faster CW than with the rotational torque CCW and that was never been the case before the mod. It does look a little lankey now though:D and it will no longer fit into the box. I need to pick up another carring vessel now. I don't like carring it all exposed like. I'll post a couple of pics later. I also took some video of my piro practice last night which I am going to try to get posted this evening. Stupid editing software held me up yesterday.[:'(]

Hope you all have a good day!

broggyr 05-12-2008 10:50 AM

I had thought about using a longer boom, too. Glad to see it works out. Can't wait for the pictures!

UTM 05-12-2008 12:06 PM

I'll definately get the pics up tonight. We'll see about the video. I usually don't use my wife's Ulead 10 editing software other than to convert file types but last night I got brave and tried to edit some clips together with some fades in between and it just fell apart. I guess I'll have to ask her for help[:@] For me it's like stopping to ask for directions. Usually don't do it unless I have too:D

Has anyone found a clear or monotone canopy that will fit the Falcon? I'd like to do a custom canopy but can't find one that will fit. I've seen a couple of people put HBK2 canopies onto the falcon but it's so large it seems to look funny. Every place I look seem to only have stock canopies for the FP helis. If I wanted a HBFP, #4, sabre canopy I'd be in buisness:)

broggyr 05-12-2008 12:20 PM

Do you want small scale heli fuselages? There is a fellow who sells them under the name Xelltronics - has several styles available made for the Falcon40 or similar helis. He has a Bell Jet Ranger, UH-1 Huey, UH60 Blackhawk, Apache, and more. If you don't see the one you want listed, send him an email. $25+7.50 s/h.

Here's one for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCALE-HUEY-U...QQcmdZViewItem

UTM 05-12-2008 12:35 PM

Those are pretty cool. I might have to pick up one of the heuy's when my skills get a little better. I'd just destroy it right now:D I was really thinking more along the lines of a sport canopy similar to the stock canopy but paintable. I suppose I could paint my stock but sanding priming etc I'd rather purchase one clear and go from there.

Bones27 05-12-2008 04:06 PM

UTM, I painted one of my stock canopies with Krylon Fusion plastic paint. I just peeled the stickers off cleaned it good with alcohol, taped off the windshield and sprayed away. It looks good and no sanding or priming.

UTM 05-12-2008 04:23 PM

I didn't even think that the fusion paint would stick to the stock canopy. I'll give that a go. My wife is qute the artist she does all sorts of media including auto pinstriping and has done some pinup style art on some collectors cars. She's also done some motorcycle tanks. She has agreed to do a flame job for me which has me pumped. I'm in charge of base color and I want it to look nice. I was going to break out my airbrush but didn't think I would have a shot at painting over the stock canopy thus the search for a clear lexan one. I did manage to locate one for the BCP but am not sure if it will fit. It is a 300 class so it should. I'm thinking sunset orange base with purple and green flames!:D

broggyr 05-12-2008 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You said 'motorcycle tanks' - the first thing I thought of was a Kettenkraftrad, not a fuel tank...

Bones27 05-12-2008 04:44 PM

UTM, sounds cool, the only problem is the limited colors of the Fusion paint. You might have to buy some FASKOLOR for the airbrush. It should stick to the canopy. It's made for Lexan. You might have to lightly scuff the canopy with some 1000 grit though.

Bones27 05-12-2008 04:48 PM

Broggyr, That too funny! Don't quit your day job. LOL!!!!

UTM 05-12-2008 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some pics of my baby with lankey tail boom. I'll have some video up tomorrow. I have it finished and now youtube is preforming maintenance and I can't upload[>:] I also put a couple of my wifes last works on there. One is a show car that she did pinup on and the other is the last bike tank she did.

monet 05-12-2008 11:29 PM

i need help anyone please? i have a falcon 40. is it normal that the controls are reverse? like throttle is pushing the stick from top downwards and to move forward is by pushing the stick down and backwards up.

kawgomoo 05-12-2008 11:43 PM

Disnay and UTM thanks for the quick reply! i know lots of people hate on the fixed pitch heli's, but these guys can probably already fly! i already own a cp so im kind of working backwards. if my skill ever progresses i already have a pretty well dialed in BCP to step up to. fortunately im a MUCH better mechanic than pilot ;)

lower head speed sounds nice, and the thin plastic blades seem promising. i have the "indestructo" plastic blades on my BCP. holy cow are those things dangerous. ive literally stuck the heli in the wall, flew into my sons rocking chair and destroyed the CHAIR! lol but not the heli. those blades are very heavy and just destroy anything that crosses there path.

i was looking at the 4#3 because its so small... but i fear it will be even more difficult to fly because of its size.

does the falcon use standard electronics, or the god awful 3n1? i cant imagine the tail of the blade ever being as stable as the falcon in your video. i might just have to try one out :)

Great_life 05-13-2008 01:04 AM

I fully agree with UTM. The Falcon is one of the best trainers thou the 4#3 is the best indoor flyer but it's not for beginners. 4#3 is the hardest of all helis I have flawn. Unless you have an oversized living room, I like to suggest that you fly the Falcon outdoor when there is no wind or in a 3 car garage otherwise you will break a lot of blades. After you have mastered the Falcon then the 4#3 is a must have. It is very funiture and wall friendly and pratically indestructable. Like UTM said coax will get boring very fast since it is very limited on what it can do. Oh, don't ever fly the high headspeed CP indoor, it is not worth the risk. From the damages you have described, they are clearly warnings. The Falcon uses a 4in1. It really isn't that bad and it's more than enough for training.

Great_life 05-13-2008 01:19 AM

On the back of your Tx, there is a set of dip switch which control normal or reverse. I forgot exactly which one does what but you can try it one at a time. For safety, make sure you remove the blades while you are testing.

kawgomoo 05-13-2008 07:04 AM

my living room is pretty large, and the garage is only a 2 car. but because of my welders and tools id rather crash a heli into the wall or my worthless tv than my tig machine ;) the blade is crazy, i was cruising around tonight and had to make a dash for the couch while it tried to cut my feet off. i have a knee wall im going to start standing behind when i fly in the living room, just to give me extra space and a good place to "duck and cover"

the little 5g6 looks cool, but i dont feel like you are getting much for your money.... maybe ill just have to get a couple new toys and see which one i like! ;)

where do you get replacement parts for the falcon? buying online kinda sucks.... 5 bucks shipping on 2 dollar parts adds up.

Disney1 05-13-2008 07:19 AM

Morning Kaw:
I agree that those on this thread that do not like a FP heli have probably mastered the FP, that dose not mean that flying a FP is not fun any more. It just becomes more relaxing.
The F-40/Walkera,HB-FP all use a 4 in 1. But don't fret, it actually works fairly well. It will also help you to learn to use the rudder controll side of the throttle stick. What ever you buy be sure to put the fuse mod on the 4 in 1. It is in a previous post. See thread page 198, post 4941, for a picture of the mod and a little more info. You only need to fuse the Main Motor, this will protect your 4 in 1 from a toasting. I agree with UTM the 4#3 is a little too small. The F-40/Walkera#4 is a better choice as a trained. I just purchase a Belt CP with a DX6i. I will continue to fly my F-40 as a learning tool and then translate what I leard to the Belt. It is cheaper to learn this way and I can fly the F-40 in safely the house. I spun the Belt CP up in the living room and the speed or the rotor head is very scary, I won't do that again.
Good Luck with your F-40
Ask and someone will answer.
Have A Great Day
R[8D]N Sr.

kawgomoo 05-13-2008 07:33 AM

relaxing flight is what im after! my planes are all about slow flight. i just cruise around like 3 feet off the deck, buzzing my brother and hosting make believe safari hunts in my head.. lol i just fly to decompress and get away from everything for a while. if i ever gain any heli skill i plan to get the trex 450sa arf. for 199 you cant beat it. all i need to add is 4 servos, a gyro, lipo and receiver..all of which i have laying around with the exception of the gyro.

Disney1 05-13-2008 07:52 AM

Mornig again Kaw:
As I said in an earlier post most of us buy from [link=http://www.ushobbysupply.com/index.php]US Hobb Supply[/link]. When I order I always buy several parts that way it makes the shipping less painful. However at almost $4 a gallon for gas shipping becomes cheap when compaired to a drive to the LHS for a part that they might not have. at least when you order from Michael you know he has it. Also he runs 2 for 1 specials occasionaly. so that makes it even better.
Just a note of experience I and others have had major problems buying from X-heli, Raidentech and Nitroplanes, these are all the same company under the different names. They will sell you an item that says in stock but is actually is out of stock, and then you have to wait forever to get it, and they have customer NO service.
I just orderd from US hobby supply, shipped the order Friday evening, got it last night. DC to Orlando in 3 days via pority mail. and saved gas to boot.

Have A Great Day
R[8D]N Sr.

UTM 05-13-2008 07:54 AM

Kaw - I find that the Falcon can be relaxing to fly but it can also be a rush. I've recentaly started to get outside and do some Fast Forward passes and stall turns. Man what a rush.:D I do mostly hover training in my garage though. Also not all that relaxing as I am always pushing myself to improve by going side-in and now doing piros in my small space which can be kinda stressful. I'll post a video that I just got online yesterday. It does show some on the edge flying for me but still the falcon is a fairly stable platform to learn on. I think it's best attribute is it's durability. Most of the time I can crash it and straighten the blades and go again. Sometimes it requires fixin but even then I can put a whole new frame on it in less than 1.5 hours. Not so with your CP I'm sure. Setting up the head probably takes that long:eek:

At any rate here is my most recent vid. It's of the falcon in my garage doing some side-in training some piros and just generally goofing off!:D This vid is with the lengthened tail boom. The Falcon looks a bit spindly as the tail seems longer than it should but it's a trade-off I'll accept for the tail stability it provides me.
Enjoy!:D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ENgo48rH3uc

Monet - There are a series of dip switches on the back of the Tx. Only the first 4 are used (4ch heli) I think that 1 is the throttle channel. Reverse it and see if that solves your problem. If it dosent than maybe the throttle is on channel 4. I'm pretty sure that 2,3 are the servo channels. Just tinker with those switches until your control is proper.

I like the motorcycle tank:D I bet my wife would like to paint on that too!

broggyr 05-13-2008 02:31 PM

Thanks, Ron, now you did it. :D

I was congratulating myself on not needing a new rotor core for 3 weeks, then I noticed that one 'ear' was cracked. No wonder why my blades wouldn't' balance out. I placed an order on Monday and should get it tomorrow when I get home :D

I also bought a 2nd E-Sky charger so I don't have to wait for one battery to be done charging before the next one can charge. I am even going to try an 11T pinion on the brushless - hopefully this will increase my headspeed without creating too much heat or strain... We shall see!

Great_life 05-13-2008 06:24 PM

Falcon parts are the same as Walkera Dragon Fly 4#1 and Sabre. Sabre is available at Hobby People stores and DF 4#1 parts are online.

dknovick 05-13-2008 11:17 PM

my living room is pretty large, and the garage is only a 2 car.
I fly my Falcon 40 in my 17'x17' living room, and have gotten to where I can keep in a 9'x9' square.

helojerry 05-13-2008 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: dknovick

my living room is pretty large, and the garage is only a 2 car.
I fly my Falcon 40 in my 17'x17' living room, and have gotten to where I can keep in a 9'x9' square.

Very cool!

I have to wait until I have calm air which can be a couple of days. Before you got to where you could keep it in a 9x9, how many times did you hit the wall!!!:D

Jerry