RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/)
-   -   Mini Titan thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/5974113-mini-titan-thread.html)

Guizmo17 06-11-2007 04:18 PM

Mini Titan thread

Hi,

I'll order a Mini Titan in few days, and I wanna know what do you think about this heli. I read a lot on this heli, like in [link=http://rchelimag.com/pages/reviews.php?review=12&page=1]Rchelimag.com[/link]Some photos, problems, like, dislike, where you bought it and all. I'll join my voice when I'll receive it. What I want to order is a RTF combo that I found on ebay. From flying-hobby. Your turn.!

Planehutch888 06-13-2007 12:43 PM

RE: Mini Titan thread

I have a Mini Titan---had it about 3 weeks-- love it!! I also have a Trex, and by comparison the Mini Titan is much more docile. Stability in hover is very good. All Ive done is fast forward flight so I cant speak to aerobatic ability, I assume that it will not be as agile as the Trex. I do like the stability, the deign is good also. Im sure some issues will evidence themselves but they will be addressed by users/aftermarket suppliers. I think it is an excellent value and a better choice for the pilot of limited experience. I dont know about getting an ARF, too often low quality sub components are in them. Be sure to get at a minimum, a Futaba 401 gyro, Tower Pro 9G servos or better, JRs are better. Im using a JGF 450th motor and love it. An align 430L or XL would also probably work well. Use a helicopter specific 35 amp ESC 40 amp or so would also be good, the Align is what Im using ( had it), and a decent 1800 to 2100mah lipo. (Thunder Power, Electrifly, or others). Most importantly, Have Fun!!

eduardosousa 06-25-2007 02:32 AM

Hi i have 1 to and it's very stabel and soft to hover iam very apy withe the e235, i have 1 DF37 and the stability conpers it enormus.

noguy 06-30-2007 01:25 AM

Hey just bought a MT and I am almost finished puttin' her togeather. Components all seem quality and precise. I like the tail design(slideout bulkhead with tail gear).
I went with:
gy401
short on cash so no digital tail servo yet. I decided to try the waypoint W-092SH very fast analog servo for <$20. (.09sec @ 4.8v; fastest analog servo to my knowledge) The tourqe is less than half that of the S-9254 but I also have a bit of curiousity to test this servo out. also I no stick banger so hopefully the tourqe will not be any issue.
hs-65(mg) for swash
ace 40a SC & TT obl outrunner (stock from TT kit)
ar6100

I have ordered one cheapo 3s pack to try with the stock power train & am going to get a 4s pack and a z-pow' 450th outrunner. I have been reading up about 4s setups and I want to see what kind of flight times the 450th/4s combo will yeald, as I have heard many reports of short flight times with the stock MT.
I will report my progress as it unfolds.

Also I have heard this heli is very capable of all 3d. I keep hearing the word "smooth" when people describe the Mini Titans' flight character. I am so excited to fly this thing. I hope to get first test flight by the end of the weekend. :):):):):)

Guizmo17 , I purchased mine from [link]http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/10640[/link] best price I could find $199 for kit/motor/esc. They also carry all parts.

Happy flying!
, Noah

noguy 06-30-2007 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I am comming along in my build. Here are some pics. No electronics installed. I am hopeing to finish that tomaro and begin bench testing and Tx programming. :D:D:D

Guizmo17 07-01-2007 08:06 AM

Cool photos man. Mine coming for next week. Can't wait !

noguy 07-03-2007 01:19 PM

Well,
I havent even had my MT in the air yet and its broke! [:@] I was soooo close.
Yesterday I programmed the esc and that went smooth. Spooled up a few times and then went on to setting up my gy401. well I went to plug in the pack after making some adjustments to the tail servo & ....
No tones from the esc. I checked and rechecked everything. tried to go into the programming mode, Nothing. the thing is dead. Well so I went to LHS and tested and confirmed that the esc was dead, so I bought a cstle creations Pheonix 35. I just finished programming the Pheonix and ererrrr errerrr. The motor doesnt spin up. It just tuns a bit and crys. [:@] So it looks like the TT obl brushless motor that came in my kit is bad and that it fried my esc. [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

So I think I have decided that I am going to with a totally different power train. I will run the CC Pheonix 35, a medusa 3a external bec, 4s 14.8v packs, justgoFly 450th 3000kv outrunner.
I will be sending the TT obl motor and ace esc back for a replacement and will sell them both when the new ones arrive. (anyone interested in the motor and esc can PM me)

Well I will give an update when my motor comes in the mail.

Guizmo17 07-03-2007 08:16 PM

Wow ! I'm not a programing guy, i have a blade cp and the program is all set IN the Tx. So i never program or never saw a real program in action, thats why my mini Titan is RTF from [link=http://flying-hobby.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_116_117&products_id=1467]flying-hobby.com[/link]. I will check note and recheck every time i do my own program. I'm just hoping i dong crash it right the first time i fly.[&:]

noguy 07-03-2007 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Guizmo17

Wow ! I'm not a programing guy, i have a blade cp and the program is all set IN the Tx. So i never program or never saw a real program in action, thats why my mini Titan is RTF from [link=http://flying-hobby.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_116_117&products_id=1467]flying-hobby.com[/link]. I will check note and recheck every time i do my own program. I'm just hoping i dong crash it right the first time i fly.[&:]
Guizmo1,
Yea I have a bcpp and you will really appriciate that futaba radio when you get your heli. There is more than a lot to be said for a programmable radio. and folks around the forums are always willing to offer help. Hopefully flying-hobby has really set the heli up well for you. I would suggest watching all of finless bob's videos on helifreak.com in order to familiarize yourself with this class heli better and help get a better understanding of the Tx & gyro programming. Even though this stuff will be setup for you; knowing what to change if you dont like something about how the heli flies is very important. Tx programming is not that complicated. It is just foreign and takes a little time to "get it". I really learned the most by disconnecting the motor and then making changes and then observing what changed with the servo movements. Play around with the settings and observ very closely and soon you will totally realize how each setting will affect flight.
Anyways congrats on your mini titan and lets us know when you get your first flight in. If you can fly a Blade heli you will fly this heli just fine. It is much bigger heavier and more stable. MUCH

Noah

Guizmo17 07-04-2007 08:27 AM

Sure i can fly my Blade Cp While i wait my MT I continuing to do small 3d on it. I'm just hopping to receive it this week. He didn't gave me a good tracking number so I don't know exactly where is my shipment. But its Ups express so maybe this week. I have Realflight too and guy made a 3d model of the mini titan in the sim. Pretty cool, i'm praticing in this too. I'm so exited to have this heli, on CPU and in real life (well not yet). I will keep you inform.

Where can i find the videos you talking? Can't find them.

url plz

noguy 07-08-2007 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here is an update.
I am finished with my build now.

Final equipment:
-HS-65mg for swash
-Ar6100 spectrum Rx
-justgofly 450th outrunner 3000KV
-CC Pheonix 35 esc
-Medusa 3mp BEC
-Futaba GY401 gyro
-Waypoint 092SH analog servo (low on funds and decided to take a gamble)
-Stock blades for now, I will probably put some radixs' on there before to long.
Every thing else is stock TT mini titan for now also. I will probably look to get a few certian al head parts when they are avaliable.

I will be flying a couple of hextronik 14.8v 4s 2200mAh 20c lipo's for now to see how I like the high volt setup. Then, if I do, I will lighten her up with some 4s TP prolites (which @ 160grams are lighter than most of the high C-rated 3s packs many guys are using) Also flightpower is supposed to comming out with the evo lite series @ 18C soon.

Here's some pics

Please any input, Opinions, advice, ect. about my build are well appriciated. Thanks, Noah

noguy 07-09-2007 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I have my first 4s bench test complete. This is with the CC esc in fixed endpoint mode so that I could verify my gearing is ideal for the target headspeed. all @ zero degree pitch.

- at 75% throttle I was getting about 2400rpm @ this headspeed volts were ~14.6v & amps were ~7.4amps
- at 85% throttle I was getting about 2600rpm. @ this headspeed volts were ~14.5v & amps were ~8.3amps
These are headspeeds that seem plenty fast for my flying. Actually this is my first heli that will even turn these kind of HS's and it was a little unnerving at first spooloing things up this fast. I kept waiting for some part of the heli to fly off and embed into my wall. I did run it up to 2800rpm (peak amps= ~11amps) but this would require a step up to a 11t pinion to allow ample headroom for the governer. Also There was some sort of noise(squeky grind sorta sound) at this headspeed. I dont know where the sound was comming from but after the inspection of the heli there were no signs of damage or wear anywhere????????? [:o]

Here is the chart from the eagle tree.

noguy 07-09-2007 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK so I ran out the rest of the same pack I was using for the fixed endpoint calibration. This time in high governer mode. It took 69% throt to hold 2400rpms; 71% to hold 2500rpm; & 73% to hold 2600rpm
The pack fell of while I was playing with the headspeed and I already over discharged this pack on its first discharge. :( I didnt realize that the ccP35's auto lipo setting cuts a 4s @ 12v. Thats too low so I will have to set this manually to 12.8v or maybe 13v for pack care. The cheapo hextronik pack stayed moderatly balanced imo for being over discharged. c1-3.1v c2-3.1v c3-3.1v c4-3.0v. Well all I can really say is oops. Anyways I got 6 more minutes out of this pack after running 3-5 minutes prior with zero pitch in the FE test. This was from a starting charge of 3.71v per cell (ie the pack nominal voltage).
So I am pretty sure that when starting from a full 16.8v I should be well in the 10+ minute flight time range.

So 75% fixed endpoint = 69% high gov
----85% fixed endpoint = 73% high gov

So I will run my norm curve at 70-71% and my idle curve at 73% flat across the board. I thought the gov worked excellent. @ 2600 rpm with +-10deg pitch the headspeed fluctuated

I thought that the esc did very well at maintaining the headspeed in this range. seemed to never fluctuate more than 25-30rpms with cyclic inputs and +-10degree pitch inputs.
I am new to all of this stuff and this esc is just plain cool. And the eagle tree recorder rocks! Anyways I am going to do some esc adjusting and try to run the next new pack (@14.8v) down from start to finish with different inputs to see a better straight runtime estimate and get long-run temps off everything.
Here's some more ET from the gov mode calibrations:

noguy 07-09-2007 08:31 PM

I noticed that rcu is compressing the pics in a way that makes them hard to read. for ref the first highest rpm (pink) range is @ 2600, then it drops to 2500 around 1.5min mark and holds @2500 then down to 2400 & back up to 2600. The peak amps were 19.4amps and the ave. amps was 7.5

noguy 07-09-2007 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Back again,

I ran out another of the 3 hextronik 4s 2200 pack I recieved today.
Started with a nominal charge @ 14.8v (amount of charge they arrived in mailbox with) esc cutoff was set at 13v (I think I will be bumping this up a bit more as final volts were 12.5v)
Governed at 2500rpm, I held 2-4 degree of pitch most of the time with a few 10degree held periods and some ramdom pitch pumping.
Max draw was 16.8amps and average was 8.8amps
rmps held well all of the way through. ESC WITH GOV'S RULE!!! :D:D:D
I had 9.5 minutes of run time before cutoff (with a nominally charged pack)
Something is wrong with the cum mAh on my ET recorder. It displayed while I was recording but data isnt there now??????

Temps were as follows:
battery 118F
esc 130F (on mosfet side) 140F (on other side)
uBEC 98F
motor 130F
and ET recorder was 110F

This was in 95F ambient temp... (my heatbox upstairs bonus room ) I dont know alot about proper temps but I think everything is well within limits except maybe the lipo. idk??? It only felt warm to touch and didnt feel soft at all. So I think its a good temp.

I think I am even gonna get away with these $35 lipo's for a while. We'll see how many cycles they get though. [sm=72_72.gif]

Well after I get this 3rd pack rundown and brought to a full charge I will take the 3 out to the field for the mini Titan maiden flight, & final tuning. So far my tracking is holding perfect. might be my lower headspeeds but many have had trouble with this so I am watching it closely.

DarkHorse 07-10-2007 05:35 PM

Good data logs and info [8D]. Still digging through the major numbers, comparing to various models with limited success. having some trouble with the chart details getting compressed, looks interesting though. Thanks ;).

What's the heli's flying weight on what pack?

noguy 07-10-2007 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: DarkHorse

Good data logs and info [8D]. Still digging through the major numbers, comparing to various models with limited success. having some trouble with the chart details getting compressed, looks interesting though. Thanks ;).

What's the heli's flying weight on what pack?
Thanks, I dont know fly weight. My scale only goes to 50g. I need to get a 1000g scale. If you would like PM me and I can email you the eagletree files or uncompressed jpeg's, if your interested
I still havent been able to run a fully charged pack out yet. When I get home this weekend I plan to do that and then a maiden flight and gather some actual inflight data.

I am not sure how these esc's governers function but I have noticed some interesting things. Mainly, in one run I held full 10deg pitch for 30seconds and then the governer did not return to the original HS. It was holding @ ~2480 and then at the full pitch it droped to ~2450 and held there for the rest of the pack????? Never recovered that ~30rpms????

Thanks again for your calculator and the previous advice.....

Noah

noguy 07-11-2007 04:17 AM

DARKHORSE, I also posted a couple of graphs in this [link=http://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=42049]THREAD[/link] They are not compressed there and are very legible.

Guizmo17 07-12-2007 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey ! Just received it ! Too cool. I'm now try to put a good logo on it . The only thing I don't like is the charger. I can't put in on the AC! the battery is a 2200 mah so how can I plug it in? The radio curves N-Th p1: 0 p2: 28 p3: 54 p4:78 p5: 100 and N-Pi are well I don't know (i'll update in few hours). Now i want to set it for 3d. Idle up was off when he shipped but i need some good advice to have good setups. I'll keep you informed after the first motor start (maybe a small video)

Plz do not copy my logo. I put lot of effort on it. Thanks.

noguy 07-12-2007 11:05 PM

HEY Guizmo17, Congrats....

1st thing I see with our heli is they didnt do anything with the canopy. There are several cutouts you need to cut before flying. 2 on bootom, 2 in front, 1 on either side and 1 in the canopy window. The components need the ventalation.
I would strongly advise you to read every word in both the heli and radio manuals, maybe 2 or 3 times. Double check blade balance/pitch, paddle pitch, swash level, and general overall setup.
I probably read my heli manual 25 times rhtoughout my build. Checking and rechecking. One of my customers has a grat saying posted on all their job sites "check & recheck your work! Do it right the first time and only have to do it once."

Also I bought the eagle tree data recorder. I would recomend one to anyone with an electric heli. Also you may want to concider moving the gyro down inside the rear of the frame. If you fiddle with it you will see that the flybar can easily whack the gyro in a crash with it mounted on top.

I am not sure why the throt curve is 0:28:54:78:100. They must not have setup the esc in gov mode. A gov mode curve would be more like 0:80:80:80:80 The manual has good setup info. It will guide your through setup for 3d. & feel free to ask questions here. I will help with what I can.

And keep an eye on your batt temps at first. I hear that the stock motor/esc combo are a power hungry bunch.

Again Congrats and happy flying, Noah

noguy 07-12-2007 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh and for the charger. Go to raadio shack & buy a 12v power supply. One like this:

Guizmo17 07-17-2007 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So this is my mini titan. It fly beauti ''fly'' I've check all the settings, the balance of the blades was a bit off set but its the only thing. I've bought a car battery charger of 5 amps to charge my bateries (thx noguy) and I've flew 4 times. REALLY SMOOTH ! Have program a slow idle up (70%). Hover, FF and fast FF, WoW ! Its no capare to the blade cp. I will ask 1 of my friend to buy 1. But i'm trying to find spare parts WHEN I WILL crash, and the only place i find in stock (only 1 for both parts(skids and blades)) is on [link=https://www.helikraft.com/index.php]HeliKraft[/link]. On the site of Tunder Tiger there is no note of The e325. They don't want to know it on sale ?!?. Well Its still a great heli.

noguy 07-18-2007 12:20 AM

try amainhobbies.com, alienrc.com, helihobby.com, rchover.com, heliproz.com, ect.... There are parts online. I buy from amain because there wharehouse is 20 min from my house and I can do local a pickup and pay no shipping, Not the best prices there though but they do have every last TT part. I havent put CF blades on mine yet but I hear that they make a big difference. I guess the stock wood blades eat up a lot of power. As far as the TT web site I was surprised to find the same thing.

Glad to hear your heli is flying great. This mini titan is really smooth and stable for a small heli.

Guizmo17 07-21-2007 04:47 PM

Ok. Just broke my main blades. :'( I've change the modulation of my remote control and the gyro was off. I've landed but on the side, so the blades are lost. But i will order new. What is the dif between 325mm main blades and 315 mm main blades ? if i want to Fast FF and hovers.

noguy 07-21-2007 07:06 PM

I am no expert on this stuff but I would think that a smaller rotor diameter should:
-create less lift
-need to OR be able to spin faster
-create a quicker roll rate
-be a little less stable

This is just my guess but I am sure that they are close enough in size that they will work.

Noah