RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/)
-   -   Recommendations on Outdoor Heli (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/8433360-recommendations-outdoor-heli.html)

ZManGT 02-03-2009 09:14 AM

Recommendations on Outdoor Heli

I've been flying electric airplanes and driving electric monster trucks for 3-4 years. I'm now looking into a helicopter but no matter how much I read I keep flip flopping on what one to get.

I would like to spend less than 250 for a RTF heli, and I want one that can fly outside. I'm not looking for something that flies in high winds but one that can handle a light breeze without crashing. Also one that would grow with me and is capable of 3D flight would be great.

I've been looking at:

HeliMax CPv3 but it looks really small, and the reviews are mixed
E-Flite Blade CP+, again it looks small and possibly could crash
E-Flight Blade CP Pro 2, this looks like it might be difficult to fly

Is there anything else I should be looking at. Any advice would be much appreciated.

-ZMan

noobflyer01 02-03-2009 09:48 AM

RE: Recommendations on Outdoor Heli

well i wouldnt pick any of the ones you listed. all three have tail motors for tail control. which is bad. 1.they burn out real quick. and they are a pain to replace. 2. does not give good tail control.

you could get the belt cp for $155 and REPLACE the dangerous stock esc that catches fire for 30-40 bucks more and your set. the electronics is not the greatest. its cheap but they will be more than what you can do with it during early learning stages. the stock fm radio also suck and will sometimes glitch. you can always replace the radio for a spectrum 2.4g radio that will eliminate the glitches. i have the dx6i which i bought for $170. great radio for the price.

there are of course lots of other choices also. but get a belt driven tail for a helicopter. alot of people went for a co-axial heli to start with. cp helis are difficult to fly. but you can defintely learn on one . also look for a good sim. it will save you money.

DumbDawg 02-03-2009 01:16 PM

Have to agree with noob...

The co-ax heli's are ok if you just want something to fly without a lot of skill.. they aren't so good outside tho unless theres NO wind at all... Plus they are good for teching orientation and thats about it.. NO 3D fly'n with them at all... For that you'll need a collective heli...

For collective heli's there are a lot of choices and still an RTF isn't something you will take it from the box and go fly'n... there is still work you should do before you ever get to that stage... especially a CP heli... Like proper setup and going over the heli entirely and loctiting screws... The RTF really means you have everything necessary to fly the heli, not one thats setup from the start... You can buy rtf's like the K2 for about $150.00 which needs a few 'upgrades' out of the box as well... like motor and esc for starters... The stock Tx is limited and glitchy after a few uses...

The other way is to get a kit... arf... and drop in the components you want to put in them... can be done for under $200.00 not including a Tx... This is the route I'd go if doing it again... Probably most arf's will do 3D but they are a challenge to fly if ur up to it... Bottom line might be to get a K2 to see if the heli habit is for you... not a lot of cash outlay if you discover its not ur thing... Plus they will do 3D... they are great trainer heli's... cheap to buy and cheap to fly... cheaper... :) lol... Very quick nimble little heli's which makes them a challenge to fly but once you can fly a K2 you can fly pretty much anything else...

The other size for more stable learning platform is the 450 sized heli's... many of us have jumped on the EXI bandwagon and they are a good learning heli as well...

hope this helps some...

happy heli'n and welcome to the habit... :)

Skarn 02-04-2009 01:20 PM

Yep, the least heli I would recommend as far as RTF are concerned is a Blade 400. ANY small micro heli is going to be VERY hard to learn on and aren't very good in the wind at all. I would definintely stay away from a motor driven tail heli like those you mentioned.

Skarn

ZManGT 02-06-2009 11:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I might go for a Blade 400. It seems like a good value for the price, and I just have to be careful and realize I'll probably spend more in repairs when I crash :(

I mean *if* I crash... haha right.

DumbDawg 02-06-2009 11:52 AM

When heli pilots talk about crash'n burn... usually its in references to their bank acct... When you call the bank or use the ATM to withdraw money or get a balance and all you hear is maniacal laughter... everyone will know you are into the heli habit... best to flee now while you are still able and have money in your acct.... ) lol

happy heli'n... btw... welcome to the habit

scorp27 02-06-2009 07:37 PM

oh yes its a very addicitve habit, thank god for these heli addiction peer groups...lol

DumbDawg 02-07-2009 10:46 AM

These are addiction 'help' groups or support systems... To 'help' you deal and to cope with your growing addiction troubles... We offer therapeutic suggestions on how best to overcome any troubles you currently endure... If you live anywhere but the USA its free... if you live in the USA then you have to send me, the financial comptroller, a cheque for $12,675 to cover the start of your treatments... Which btw is assuming you have your referal coupon... if not then add an additional $8,500 to the toal... have a happy day... :)

happy heli'n

jrizzle 02-09-2009 12:06 AM

With your price range I would seriously consider an Esky Belt CP V2 in 2.4 Ghz. It is probably the best heli for what you want in you price range. Check out Jaghobbies.com

stringcheese 03-03-2009 02:34 AM

ORIGINAL: DumbDawg

These are addiction 'help' groups or support systems... To 'help' you deal and to cope with your growing addiction troubles... We offer therapeutic suggestions on how best to overcome any troubles you currently endure... If you live anywhere but the USA its free... if you live in the USA then you have to send me, the financial comptroller, a cheque for $12,675 to cover the start of your treatments... Which btw is assuming you have your referal coupon... if not then add an additional $8,500 to the toal... have a happy day... :)

happy heli'n
This guy's offered services will be much cheaper than flying heli's. You should go see him before buying your bird.

DumbDawg 03-03-2009 10:35 AM

This is the "Heli Discounted" rates because I understand the expenses needed to maintain this hobby... err habit... It is roughly the same cost as having a finger sewn back on.... so if your bird accidentally lop's off a finger... Just send it to me and I'll give you a 50% discount for 3 months... Just trying to do my small part in helping others to cope with this debilitating habit.

happy fly'n