Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Stevedots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Here is the new gear installed in the "Enterprise". I hope to maiden sometime during the real Space Shuttle mission! I only have to get one of my relatives with a video camera to be there for the maiden flight the same day that the weather and wind is co-operating.

I did have to remove two sets of wheels on each of the main gear.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59712.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1600722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60184.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1600723  
Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Stevedots

I finally have maidened the Space Shuttle. I gave up on getting a relative on scene with a video camera but I did get some stills. Sorry the in flight photos weren’t better but next time I’ll get some low flybys.

First I have to thank everyone involved, especially Carlos who without his help I never would have completed the Shuttle or gotten her off the ground. Also the original designer, Richard(I look forward to his next Shuttle Design) and EJF for selling me the parts. Also everyone else who has made suggestions.

Flight report as follows. The configuration of my Shuttle is difference than Carlos’s so I figured there would be changes to make and there are. My first attempt (off grass) she didn’t want to lift off. So like Carlos, I will have to extend the length of the nose wheel to bring the nose up a bit more and get the wings parallel with the runway. On the second run down the runway she hit a bump and that brought the nose up enough for her to catch some air under the wings. Once that happened she took off straight and very smoothly. With that 70 mm ducted fan roaring it sounded like something from NASA! Right after takeoff I noticed she was tail heavy (70 mm fan, larger ESC, metal main gear etc.) so I was flying most of the flight with full down elevator! I cut power to 50% and she was still climbing. Cut it back to 40% and with full down elevator I was able to level her out. I had 60% duel rates and 60% expo because I was paranoid of over control but she seemed rock solid in roll. I’ll probably change my duel rates and expo to have more control in roll and pitch next time. I only flew her twice around the field and brought her down. The landing was very smooth and better than a lot of my other fixed wing landings. The toughest part of the entire flight was keeping full down elevator. That forced me to land and change height with throttle, which is how I should be doing it with all my planes anyway!

So I will be changing my rates and expo, raising the nose and moving my center of gravity forward. Thanks again to Carlos and everyone else involved in this EDF Shuttle!

Here are the specs on the Shuttle, then some photos:

70mm Typhoon EDF 2W-20-75A drive set
High end R/C HET-75A ESC
Hyperion 2200 4S lipo 45C
Metal landing gear with suspension from Windrider #W78LGS (modified from four wheel mains to two wheel)
Weight of Shuttle with battery: 2 lbs 10 oz.
Weight of battery: 9.25 oz
Static ground test, battery at 100% = 895 Watts
80% = 874 Watts
My heart rate during flight….off the scale!!

Steve

Name:	Us52501.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1615268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21470.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1615269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89689.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1615270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15269.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1615271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gs94500.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1615272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj72207.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1615273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb60198.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1615274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yx80714.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	1615275  

Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve,

Just awesome flight report and I am still jealous of your model.

Yes indeed, I do hope someone would kit another one soon!

Thanks for sharing!
Carlos
Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 AM
guapoman2000

Good morning All!

Last night NASA rolled its last space shuttle stack and Atlantis out to Pad 39A for its STS-135 mission (Last one for Space Shuttle Program).

Of all the times I have been in the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) and on the launch pads, seeing the Orbiters up close, I never thought of a last time.

Last night was the last time.

From home we could see the roll out on TV and the west side of the VAB, it rolled out the VAB east side.

The last time a space shuttle will be on the launch pad…

Also, super early this morning, I witnessed Space Shuttle Endeavour’s last landing. It crossed the equator before landing! At 28 degrees north latitude, the equator is a long way from here in a jet aircraft! It was approaching at the speed of a rocket! The twin sonic booms sounded like my neighbors fired two large cannons in rapid fire and the sound rolled for a long time over the river such as loud thunder clap does.

Once Endeavour landed on the runway you could see the Auxiliary Power Units (APUs) still firing and this can be seen in the NASA Landing APU picture attached.

It was helpful in seeing Endeavour for my last time as a powered up space ship.

The next time we see Endeavour it will be a museum piece.

And it is another beautiful day to be alive!

Happy day to you all!
Carlos Marin

Space Shuttle Atlantis Roll-Out to Launch Pad for the Last Time!

[size=4]Space Shuttle Endeavour’s last landing[/size]

Old 06-02-2011, 05:05 AM
Stevedots

Thanks Carlos,

Fantastic photos of Atlantis, and Endeavour's landing. Like all the Shuttles, what impressive pieces of machinery! Once they are gone they will be really missed but I think avaition history will remember them for their great abilities. It is really too bad that they are being taken out of service before their time.

Thanks for the inspiration both with 'your' personal Space Shuttle and the work you have done a KSC!

Steve

P.S. My R/C club will be having an open house later this flying season. Maybe I can get someone to take a video for me of the Shuttle, if they do I will of course post it.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Stevedots

Had another flight today, I raised the height of the nose gear to help with take offs and tried the battery in a few different positions. Still having trouble getting liftoff even with the grass cut. So I'm going to move the main gear forward 1 inch. Hopefully that will help with lift off.

On my second take off attempt I hit a bump and that got the nose up. Once in the air I am still very tail heavy even with moving the 4S 2200 battery as far forward as I can. So I am going to use a larger battery. The only other 4S battery I have is a 5000 so It will be heavy but after a 2 minute flight (including one aborted take off attempt) I only had 20% left in the 2200. So I figured I need a lot more weight up front and I want to at least double my flight time.

Keep you all posted,

Steve
Old 07-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Stevedots

I got some video of the Shuttle, one of the members of our club, The 495th took this video. It was the 4th flight so my thumbs still shake a little bit! The grass sometimes makes it tough to get lift off, it is easy after it is cut but again a bump on the runway helped!

This is still with the 2200 pack, the 5000 would be way to heavy.

Enjoy and thanks again to everyone that helped make my Shuttle Fly!

Steve

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxUMhlA3zvw[/youtube]
Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Stevedots

Made a change to the Enterprise's landing gear. I have been 'beefing up' the scale gear to try to make it stronger to withstand the grass landings but it was getting heavier and heavier. I had a crash on final due to low voltage cut off! I was lined up perfect but lost power and she landed 10 feet short of the runway in heavy grass and ripped off the scale gear. As it was I had my timer set to 2 minutes and I would have to land. I guess that the extra weight of the beefed up scale gear and because I might have been heavy on the throttle is the cause of my crash.

So I decided to go in the other direction. I put on a light set of typical r/c wire landing gear at a savings of about 4.75 oz. The plus is lighter weight but also the larger wheels (they don't look as good) will make it roll better on the grass runway. In an effort to get more than 2 minutes run time I am also going to go from the 4S 2200 to a 4S 3300. The weight increase going to the 3300 vs the 2200 is less than the 4.75 oz savings by changing the gear so I'm hoping the performance will be about the same but with more lipo capacity.

I hope to get more than 2 minutes run time but if not I hope to get 2 minutes with more throttle and maybe have enough left for an extra 'go-around'!

Steve

Name:	Ol31222.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1639826  
Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 AM
guapoman2000

Steve,

Nice work with the Main Landing Gear and weight savings!

No, the 3300mAH cells will provide you with much more performance than the 2200's!

It should be noticeable now that you reduced the weight from gear mods.

Carlos
Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 AM
guapoman2000

Space Shuttle Atlantis comes home for the last time!

Took a few pictures of Space Shuttle Atlantis coming home for the very last time and this also represents the last Space Shuttle event period!

I am pleased that I and a few others like Steve took up this project during the last reminding Space Shuttle missions as we can say that we have our own!

Here is the super early morning landing of Space Shuttle Atlantis right pass 6:00am on that Thursday morning 07-21-2011.

Tow back from the Shuttle Landing Facility:

Celebration after Tow Back!

Regards,
Carlos[8D]
Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 AM
guapoman2000

Oh, I almost forgot!

Here is a closeup of Space Shuttle Atlantis and me in front of it while being towed back across State Road 3 on the Space Center!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Stevedots

Hi Carlos

Great, and emotional photos! Nice to see you with Atlantis. I know this question isn't about r/c and I hope it isn't too personal if so you don't have to answer but what is up next for you? Will you be staying with NASA? I know I have said this before but thanks for the inspiration with all your work on the fullsized and r/c sized Space Shuttle.

One thing I always do while working on the r/c Shuttle is to have NASA TV on my computer the entire time I work on her.

Steve
Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 AM
guapoman2000

Steve,

Yes indeed, I will be staying here with NASA for a few more years, the Lord willing and who blesses me with good health to keep on going!

There is Commercial entities coming, Heavy Lift, J2X rocket engines to test, facilities that need modifications and many many other things to do before we end up launching again.

Stay tuned at NASA web site for additional info.

Carlos[8D]
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
guapoman2000

Check out this Video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II7QB...layer_embedded

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II7QBLt36xo&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Old 07-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Stevedots

The new (cheapo non-scale) landing gear are working great. Now I have no trouble at all taking off from grass. I have increased the control throws a little bit and with the new Hyperion 4S3300 Lipo I have a little bit more piece of mind when it comes to flight time. I still have my timer set for two minutes but I think I can increase that a bit and still have a good safety margin. After 5 more flights it is becoming a "Spacecraft" I want to bring the the r/c field everytime I go!

Steve

Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 AM
guapoman2000

After countless months in the Hangar, I finally participated in an Electric Fly-In event known as WATTSFEST at the Tampa RC Airplane Club (TRAC) near Tampa, Florida.

Took the model as they have a fantastic smooth Asphalt Runway.

Here is some pictures from our Photographer, David Hart and a Video that someone else took during the event.

I arrived at 7:30am and Left at 3:10pm at WATTFEST and hosted by Tampa Radio Control Aircraft Club.

http://www.wattfest.com/

Since this RC Club has smooth Asphalt Runway, I brought my Electric Ducted Fan powered SPACE SHUTTLE and everyone had a blast. Someone even picked up their Video camcorder and Video recorded most of the flight but, did not record the take-off.

However, just watch the Landing!!!

Just like the Real Thing!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll2HRhYByW8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Old 10-03-2011, 12:39 PM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Enjoyed watching your sopace shuttle, good job building and flying it. David sure got some great pictures of it too. Thanks for bringing it to the event.
Denny
Old 10-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Stevedots

Great flight, and I loved the holding the nose off landing! Brought mine to the local R/C club's annual cookout and everyone enjoyed seeing it,they are crowed pleasers!

Steve
Old 02-15-2012, 02:04 PM
RocketScientist2.0

Can you please tell me how to build one? Or e-mail me? ([email protected])
Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 PM
guapoman2000

Richard,

I flew my Space Shuttle (Your Design & Kitted by EJF) in your honor my friend.

I hope you are doing okay and wish you keep in touch.

Here is a short Video that Gerry Took with my new Nikon S9100, 12.1 Mega-Pixels, 18X Zoom, Digital Camera.

What a wonderful morning! As you can see for yourselves, it is finally time to buy new Li-POLY packs for it. These Esprit SPORT 2200 Cells have been in service since I finished my Space Shuttle and they have seen lots of abuse during the early days of experimentation.

The landing was great on the short grass portion of the field right in front of the Taxi way. No damage as the Video gets pretty blurry since Ron was on the riding mower and Gerry had to dive out of the way right when I was landing.

Enjoy!
[link]http://vimeo.com/39424036[/link]
Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: RocketScientist2.0

Can you please tell me how to build one? Or e-mail me? ([email protected])
I am sorry for the delayed response.

Should you be still interested, the place where my model came from is called EJF in California USA.
[link]http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71[/link]

I do not know if they are still selling this model in any version and you would need to call.

Hope this helps!
Carlos
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
guapoman2000

Guys,

For those that may have forgotten about the Space Shuttle Program, here is a super Video with enhanced Sound from the actual Solid Rocket (Metal, APU, and Parachute Deployment)!

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/2aCOyOvOw5c
Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM
guapoman2000

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is my great sorrow to see Space Shuttle Discovery (Tail Number: OV-103) to leave Kennedy Space Center for the last time and never to return.

Honestly, I had to force a smile on my face. I was thinking what the hell are we all in a mood to celebrate about???

I just hope D.C. takes good care of Discovery so, everyone can enjoy coming up close to a real live Space Craft.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 AM
guapoman2000

Space Shuttle Discovery (Retired) at her new home!

a few pictures of the Space Shuttle Discovery (Retired) flying in around Udvar-Hazy and around the US Capitol !!!opcorn:

Landing at Sterling, VA.

At her new Home and arrived safely!!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 AM
spaceshuttle1

I too am sorry to see the end of our leadership in manned space flight
Started aerospace career in April of 1960.
To see and hear the roar of the engines and to see it slowly lift off the pad. There are not words to describe the pride feeling. It was "AMERICA's DREAM".
I wish every person could see a launch, if they did public opinion would have never let our leadership slip
After 150 million miles it will finally have a deserved rest.
Carlos you are going to keep this "dream alive".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.