Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Turnigy Lipos

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 04:31 PM
gazza3535

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnigy Lipos

Hi guys,

how good are the Turnigy LiPo's
I have the chance to buy a new Turnigy nano-tech 2.2mAh 4 cell 25-50c high discharge lipo at a good price which i would intend to use in my new phase three squall with vt, would anyone reccomend them or are they no good

thanks

Gary
Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 PM
PhilLin

Default RE: Turnigy Lipos

I'm new to using Turnigy cells. Have 2 x 6s5000 nanoTechs (25c/50c) since summer. Have over a dozen flights on them & found they have boosted wattage from 4kW to 4.5kWs as they maintain higher volts. Does not seem to want to balance w/ my TP210v, which does not light up initially when hooked up. I'm sample size of one, so eager to hear other inputs.

Phil
Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 PM
BEAR-AvHistory

Been using them for almost two years. Have had one DOA & 20+ still in service.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

I have made direct comparisons between the 30~40C Turnigy and 20C Zippy Flightmax.

Both batteries are used in the same F89 (Avatar) under the same conditions, flight durations, etc., etc.

The Turnigy's are a distant second place to the lower C Zippy packs. The Turnigy's go flat after 2~2.5 minutes, the Zippers are good for 5 minutes easy.

Perhaps my Turnigy's were mis-labled.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eb86758.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	1525274  
Old 11-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

I have many of the three cell and four cell "Nano" packs. I have the black/dark blue ones and I think they are really terrific. I use some 4S 2650 35-70C and 4S 2650 25-50C in my vectored Squall!, a Siren sailplane, and a 48" Edge 540, and they have been outstanding performers. I fly 5-6 minute flights, and I'd estimate full power for about 1/2 the flight. The battery is only slightly warm to the touch at the end of the flight. I like the Squall! so much I ordered a backup for $99 on sale. Can't beat it. The Siren goes up like someone shot it from a bow.

I use the three cell 2200 Nanos in helicopters (harsh environment), and in a Projeti with a 2700 Turnigy EDF motor spinning a 5 inch APC prop. My buddy Troy clocked the Projeti at 114. Same thing, no puff, hardly warm at the end of the flight. I haven't tried them in my new Phase 3 F-16 or F-35 yet, but expect the same great results.

On the flip side, the blue 2200s lasted about 10 flights in my helis. All six were badly puffed in my Raptor mini-Titan. Other battery brands, no problem. I might have pushed them I doubt it but I'd never buy the blue ones again. Maybe it is a crap shoot.

I will say from observation at our field that some guys beat the hell out of batteries, and some don't. Pushing batteries to 8-9 minutes will create problems. The smart electric fliers modulate throttle and fly 5-6 minutes tops. Treat them well, and they will last a long time. The charging and storing regimens are very important too. I think Hobby King is a great on line store if you study the products and order wisely.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:05 AM
ACES&8s

Turnigy lipos I have tried puff and give up early on in life. Compared to Zippy Flightmax, you pay more, get 1/4 the life/performance. I use the batteries to max limits, but charge no faster than 2 hour, after cooling them. My Zippy Flightmax last a full season. Rhino don't last. Turnigy don't last. They 'C' rating understood, Turnigy cannot sustain the C level it represents.

I've tried 3amphour and 2.2amphour. Wasted money. By the way...balance charge. Charger with balance mode, or use a Astro Blinky. With the blinky you have to set up a slow charge rate.

Pick is of 30-40c 3 amp/hour
Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
PhilLin

Hi, Aces! Sorry to hear your pack puffed with a short life.

Can't determine from your pix which type you have. The gold letter seems to come with nanotechs, but the rest of the label don't quite match. Pls confirm?

My 6s5000's nantechs seem to be holding so far (fingers crossed); but our outdoor e-flight season is pretty much over. These were on ly lukewarm after flights draining to 500ma of rating at up to 22C rate, so did not bother to check temp with IR gauge (I have not drained my packs this low before. Usually only to 80% capacity).

So will be watching for more feedbacks.

Phil
Old 11-16-2010, 07:35 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

I don't have personal experience with them but, everyone I talk to says they are excellent and worth the few extra bucks they cost. I'm looking forward to trying them myself.

RJ

ORIGINAL: gazza3535

Hi guys,

how good are the Turnigy LiPo's
I have the chance to buy a new Turnigy nano-tech 2.2mAh 4 cell 25-50c high discharge lipo at a good price which i would intend to use in my new phase three squall with vt, would anyone reccomend them or are they no good

thanks

Gary
Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 PM
ACES&8s

that's the ordinary turnigy, not a nano. I have no experience with the nano
Old 11-18-2010, 04:06 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

good performing packs, better than TP. just know you are gambling on getting good packs or bad packs upon arrival.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 PM
opjose

The Nano's are WONDERFUL!!!!

I've been using them for my higher draw EDF's too.

They can sustain higher draws and operating temperatures WITHOUT puffing, and stable voltage levels until discharged.

They are a couple of dollars more, but they are far better than the Zippies IMHO.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 AM
wpotter6

I have two of the regular (not Nano) packs 3300mAh 4s 30-40C that I use in my Habu. These packs puff up very badly during flight. I have had one flight where I had a brown out, enigne shut down and no response, resulting in a crash because I was at low altitiude. These are the only packs that I have that I have seen puff up. They are both about 6 months old. I have several Thunder Power and Eflite batteries that are over a year old and they never puff up and have not lost any capacity. I believe in the expression that "you get what you pay for".
Old 11-22-2010, 12:19 PM
opjose

The OP was asking about the Nano packs.

However you didn't tell us the capacities of the other packs you are comparing against.

A battery normally puffs up because too much is demanded of it.

Did you measure the draw on your Habu?

If one puffed up, you could ascribe this to a bad cell or pack.

Two in a row tends to indicate much more draw than is being assumed, which could be due to a myriad of reasons.

A lot of our heli guys have switched AWAY from the Thunder Power packs to the Blue Turnigy because of much better performance.

I have close to a HUNDRED Turnigy, Nano, Zippy, Rhino packs now.

I've only have had one failure with a bad solder joint.

I got what I paid for... instead of paying more than what is necessary.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 PM
wpotter6

I have measured the current draw in my Habu and it is 55amps at full power. That is under 20C for a 3300mAh pack, which is supposed to be rated at 30-40C. If these packs are both being over worked, then it is due to them not meeting the claimed rating, not because I am exceeding the rating. I have used the same motor in a smaller jet (Wingsmaker J10B) using two THP2600 3S 20C batteries, and neither one puffed up. The motor drew 42 amps on that setup.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Extreme_RC

Actually puffing is a byproduct (oxygen) from the lithium being deposited onto the anode, this happens a lot in cheaper grade cells where they are using a mix of lithium manganese and iron cobalt as the cell is not of high enough material and design quality to withstand the demands placed on it. These grade 2 cells cannot tolerate full discharge either and will 'puff' if run below 15-20% capacity. Once this happens the cell is permanently damaged and death is only a matter of time.

Pure iron cobalt cells are expensive, often more costly to buy the cells than HK sells complete packs for. Iron cobalt is 50K a ton, manganese is 6K a ton, you do the math You get what you pay for is alive and well in battery world, despite what one might think. I have a 4000mah nanotech pack in my box, bought it to run against my regular 25c 4000mah packs, brand new it performed no better than my packs with 70 cycles on them, sure its probably better than other HK batteries, but against the genuine grade 1 cells from China its just another battery.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:03 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: wpotter6

I have measured the current draw in my Habu and it is 55amps at full power. That is under 20C for a 3300mAh pack, which is supposed to be rated at 30-40C. If these packs are both being over worked, then it is due to them not meeting the claimed rating, not because I am exceeding the rating.
That may be.

We find that the packs tend to be somewhat UNDER rated... e.g. that some of the 20C packs are capable of sustaining 25C, etc.

But there is some variation in their nomenclatures that can make things a bit hit and miss.

e.g. I find the Rhino's to be ABOUT equal to their advertized rating or a bit lower.... and the Nanos tend to do much better than their ratings.

The no-name "blue" packs they sell seem to be over-rated as well. I keep those running to no more than 18c if they have a 20C rating, etc.

In practice I never push my packs to their rated capacities, but our heli guys do tend to, and they love the Turnigy packs, often replacing Thunder Power packs with them.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Freddy!

Hyperions all i use, one year of good service with these packs.Still hold full charge.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Extreme_RC

The Hyperion packs are good, they get their cells from one of the premium suppliers in China. My Batt' engineer is busy slamming the new 65c cells in a life cycle run to see how they fare..

To give you an idea of what we do to our particular cells, the last 2200 25c cell that wetested was put into the tester and set to 22c discharge, 5c recharge, and a cutoff of 2.85v per cell. It was then slammed like this 140 cycles with a 10 minute breather between charges, and at the end of 140 cycles the capacity was 11% down on the original 2265mah. This is exceptional when you take into consideration 5c recharge and discharging until 2.85v which we all know is terminal on the average quality cell.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:44 AM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

I have experienced "puffed" batteries caused by a couple of things:

1) running the battery too long ...not necessarily to LVC but, near it. Cutting the "run-time" by 30 sec. or so, pretty much cured that issue.

2) bad ESCs. Cheap ESCs can cause batteries to overheat (???). I don't know how it happens but, I do know that on 2 occassions I replaced "factory" ESCs with decent after-market units and the batteries stopped overheating ...and the "brown outs" stopped too. I've also found that an external switching BEC (if your ESC doesn't have a switcher in it) will help the overheating and brown-out issue .

Don't want to throw any junk in the conversation. I would like to hear from you knowledgeable folks whether or not my observations are accurate.

Thanks,
RJ
Old 11-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Woody 51

Got my 1st 2 packs (3S1P 20C 2200Ma/H) 2 years ago.... Still using them regularly. I have bought more since. Also identically sized Zippy's, since the price difference between the 2 is only a $1 or so. I can't complain about either. Non have "died" yet.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:25 PM
capt_todd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I have close to a HUNDRED Turnigy, Nano, Zippy, Rhino packs now."
If you have that many, please tell us which of these have worked the best. I have tried a couple of each of these but the 2 nano I bought both puffed up bad within 2 flights each and I don't know if I just received a bad batch or what. Which of all those are the best? What about Gens ace?
Thanks....
Old 09-03-2012, 07:56 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: capt_todd

''I have close to a HUNDRED Turnigy, Nano, Zippy, Rhino packs now.''
If you have that many, please tell us which of these have worked the best. I have tried a couple of each of these but the 2 nano I bought both puffed up bad within 2 flights each and I don't know if I just received a bad batch or what. Which of all those are the best? What about Gens ace?
Thanks....

I have a friend, primarily a heli flyer, who dislikes the Nano's and loves the Zippy & Turnigy packs. He had two of the Nano's puff up on him.

I think he was pushing the packs, but maybe he just had some bad luck with his electronics ( ESC? )

I've replaced a new Rhino pack that had just puffed up, with another new Nano and pushed the latter even harder.... I knew I was running the batteries close to the edge when I did this... The Nano seemed to me to hold up better and seemed to suffer less ill effects with the extra draw....

I've never had a Nano puff up, though I've had Zippy packs puff up seemingly more easily than the former.

The Turnigy packs seem to be more uniform, particularly if you stick to the higher "C" rated packs. So far no puffed Turnigy packs for me.

I only have a few Gen Ace packs so my experience with them is not that extensive... but they are well liked by our Heli Flyers, and that is a good sign.

-

I've also taken these mildly puffed packs (squishy feeling where the packs look a bit "rounded" due to puffing ) and used a heat gun to re-shrink the covering. After that they seemed no different than new packs physically.

They've tested fine and I've flown them over a hundred times on other planes.

There was an article not too long ago, I believe in the AMA, where the author tried to look into what was going on with the chemistry of puffed packs and the effects on the batteries.
He concluded that as long as the packs were not severely puffed up, the outgassing had no dramatic effect on performance. He was erring on the side of caution with his suggestion/conclusion.

I've found this true as well.

-

I also agree with rowdyjoe.

ESC's set to wrong values ( not necessarily just cheap ones too ) also come into play as do other factors.... e.g. LVC detection not being accurate.

Castle ESC's a great for their logging, in that you can actually see what is going on. Often the logs can be surprising... ( hint: if even if you believe your puffed battery occured because you believe it does/did not meet it's rated "C" capacity, you may be amazed at what the logs show ).

Old 09-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Bill G

ORIGINAL: Larry Dudeck

I have made direct comparisons between the 30~40C Turnigy and 20C Zippy Flightmax.

Both batteries are used in the same F89 (Avatar) under the same conditions, flight durations, etc., etc.

The Turnigy's are a distant second place to the lower C Zippy packs. The Turnigy's go flat after 2~2.5 minutes, the Zippers are good for 5 minutes easy.

Perhaps my Turnigy's were mis-labled.

ORIGINAL: ACES&8s

Turnigy lipos I have tried puff and give up early on in life. Compared to Zippy Flightmax, you pay more, get 1/4 the life/performance. I use the batteries to max limits, but charge no faster than 2 hour, after cooling them. My Zippy Flightmax last a full season. Rhino don't last. Turnigy don't last. They 'C' rating understood, Turnigy cannot sustain the C level it represents.

I've tried 3amphour and 2.2amphour. Wasted money. By the way...balance charge. Charger with balance mode, or use a Astro Blinky. With the blinky you have to set up a slow charge rate.

Pick is of 30-40c 3 amp/hour
Those reports are why I'm speculative about lipos, where all the brands are most likely labeled in-house. There are various marketing philosophies:
One is to price accordingly, based on performance and quality, and hope that the mix of customers will buy all your product.
A second is to make sure you sell all your stock, which can create a dilemma when using the first method. When I hear of the lower priced brand outperforming the higher priced brand, which I've heard more than once, I question the consistency of the labeling method, and that it may be inconsistent due to efforts to sell out all the stock.
I personally prefer consistency. Charge a bit more for the good performing cells and don't even sell the poor performing ones at all, or sell them very cheap and honestly rated. Overall marketing strategy can sometimes explain why some places must charge more than others for lipos of equal performance.