Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

New doppler speedometer application for windows and android!

I recently created an app for Android smart phones that automatically finds airplane speeds and announces them while you are flying, and I wanted to start a thread on it for input, suggestions, etc.

Features:
    - Detects speeds for any electric plane that has a high RPM prop or fan, ie pretty much any pusher, pylon racer, or EDF.
    - Announces speeds through the phones navigation voice as they are detected.
    - Automatically detects the temperature of your local field using GPS and weather reports for maximum doppler accuracy.
    - Records last 10 speeds, and displays last speed and highest speed in big letters on the screen.

Here's a video of the app in action:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBTJT4Iqq1g[/youtube]
    I also decided to do the community a favor and port something that is basically the same as the android app onto the PC, so anyone with a windows computer can use my software to doppler their planes much easier. I'm hoping this will make everyone's life easier, especially those who don't know how to do doppler analysis using wave-o-scope. For the PC app all you'll need is a youtube video or an MP3 or WAV sound file of a plane making it's flight. The program will play the sound file back and will report any speeds it can find in it with the click of a button. This version definitely still needs a little work so check back for some updates, I'll announce them as they come in this thread.

I've made a simple site that describes both these apps a little better where you can also download the PC app: http://www.rcspeedo.info

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New doppler speedometer application for windows and android!

Wow that's awesome. I was just getting ready to start looking into the doppler technology that everyone talks about on these forums so I can get some speed data from my models. Can't wait to try it out. Looks real user friendly. Thanks for your efforts.
    -Jesse

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, one more question. How do you use your pc software for youtube vids?
    -Jesse

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! The site I posted has a quick how-to on using youtube videos with my PC program:
    http://www.rcspeedo.info/pc_manual.php

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

any chance you might port this to the symbian os?
    Bottom Feeder Brother #13
    when they outlaw R/C, only outlaws will have R/C
    13 of 27

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you much you are right on time with this as I now have a need for speed!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey neonbjb,
    Do you happen to know where I might be able to get a free"mpeg to wav/mp3" converter? Most of my previous videos are in mpeg.
    -Jesse

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any chance you will be developing the app for iPhone?
    \"Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

have tried this several times now on many different videos from youtube and some personal ones, all I get is 0.0 mph for all three modes. All were converted into WAV using AVS Video editer. Is there a prefered bitrate or something that I'm missing? Even tried on some videos from the Darkside Strykers Posts here on RC universe that they claimed to get Doppler speeds from. My personal speed checking method is to set up my camera on a tripod pointed at to objects that are a measured distance apart. Then I make a pass or two. Put the video in my video editor and advancing one frame at a time take note of the time it takes to go nose to tail between the two objects. For example my time trap objects are 30 feet apart. It takes my JumpJet .25 seconds to cover the distance. So it is traveling at 120 feet per second. So the formula would be 120x60x60/5280=81.8 mph of ground speed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry for the lack of responses;

I'm thinking of getting an iPhone version out in the future, I probably won't do symbian, blackberry or windows phone; mostly because the phones running those operating systems are in general not powerful enough to run this software.

This guide shows you how to strip sounds from most video formats: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/comp...iles-for-free/

Marcoeldragon: I'm downloading your videos right now to see if I can figure out why it doesn't detect the speeds of your planes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, so I think you're referring to this video, marcoeldragon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QwcazBBrGk

There aren't really any clean passes in this video for my program to pick up on. It will only really doppler speed runs where you start from some far point, point it directly at you, gun it to full throttle, and dont let off until it's passed right over head or nearby and has made some distance from you. You made a couple of passes that might have worked in the video, but you let off on the throttle right after making them or didnt hold it steady the whole time. A normal human using wave-o-scope might be able to pick some speeds out of these passes but because of the way my program works, it needs a good 1-2 seconds of approach time at full throttle and ~1 second of departure time. Maybe there is something else wrong though, if you'd like to send me one of the audio files you've been trying I'd be glad to try it out and fix it if there are any problems I'm not seeing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for quick reply maybe to prob is on my end then. Oh and I'm using the windows version. Uploading to my personal sight 2 WAV files I would have thought would work as they seem to meet the above info. will add the link below when it finishes the up load.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey neonbjb,
    Thanks for the link to the AoA Audio Extractor. However, I can't get the audio files to work in the RC Speedo program. I can listen to them in media player so I know there's audio in the extracted file but, when I load it into RC Speedo and press the "Run RC on file" button nothing happens. What do you think is going on? The program works perfect with the youtube/Dirpy stuff.
    -Jesse

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Never mind, after I played around with the bitrate and sample rate it worked fine. I compared the RC speedo with aradar gun video file taken from the e-jets international event here in Ohio and the result was 6mph slower than the actual radar reading. That's awesome consideringall of the variables.
    -Jesse

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hehe did you tweak the temperature?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tried a few more things still no go, below is the link to the page on my site with two WAV's I've been trying to use maybe I'm just stupid.

http://www.marxdragonlair.com/RCStuff.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope, you're definitely not stupid!

Whatever you are using to get your WAV files is putting some strange stuff in them which I didn't program my decoder to handle. I opened your WAV in audacity (an audio editor), and re-saved it to another wav file and it worked perfect, I got the following speeds: 140MPH for the first pass, 113MPH for the second. I'll make sure and figure out what it is about your WAV file my program doesn't like and fix it for the next version, thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info I have audicity also and will try that. I have the entire AVS video and audio suite and thought that would work ok. What codec, channels, bitrate and sample rate are you using? I really want to get this to work. Thanks also for taking the time to create this app.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That did the trick. Ran the files through Audacity 1.2.6 and exported as the Default WAV and got 142.5 mph and 113.4 mph. Thanks again and nice to know I'm not too STUPID.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The software should accept 22100Hz and 44200Hz, and should accept 8, 16, and 32 bit wav files. It will not work with 8000Hz; I could have technically put that in but at that sampling rate the audio files are so inexact that I was seeing +/- 15MPH inaccuracies so I just left it out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have figured out where I was having the problems with AVS audio editor. I was using way too high of quality. I can now do the conversion with out having to use audacity also. Thanks again for the App and helpful hints and other info.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What bitrate/sampling rate were you using?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was trying to save directly as a WAV. Sample rate 96000 Hz,samplesize 32, bitrate 6144 kbps, stereo. Works better if I save as a low quality mono MP3 and let the app convert to WAV.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh wow that's a beastly sample rate, that's probably the problem. I have good news though, I found a way to make the program to use pretty much any audio/video format that you can play on your PC. So you'll be able to doppler avi, wmv, wma, 3gp, pretty much everything. It should also fix that issue that you were having. I'll keep the thread updated when I release it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've finally put the finishing touches on a new version of the PC app. I've found a way to make it compatible with pretty much any sound or video format that you can play in windows media player - that is avi, wma, wmv, divx - almost anything! You can download the new version of the PC app from www.rcspeedo.info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast