Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

EDF newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:25 AM
Rhilluk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF newbie

Hello all, I was browsing youtube as you do and came across EDF Jetsand couldn't believe the perforance you're getting from them.

Anyhow whats the comparison like towards GT, what kind of thrust can you get from the units. Or is it still small scale?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 08:20 AM
VentureRC

Default RE: EDF newbie

The performance really is tailored to what you want.  My F-16 70mm is an entry level EDF and can do upwards of 90mph full throttle, but its just the factory setup, and you can switch motors, batteries, and speed controllers to get just about any kind of performance you want.  Ducted fan units come in all sorts of sizes and depending on your setup and your budget, you can power anything from a small park flyer to some of the larger scale jets. my flying weight is 1000g and I nearly have a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. It's not quite there but i;m up at 4500 ft.  its running on  a 45 Amp Brushless Speed Control with a 14.8V 2200mah 20CLi-Polymer battery. 
Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Rhilluk

just watched the Tamjets A4 skyhawk video where there is an EDF flying alongside a Turbine and can't really see a difference.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:40 AM
VentureRC

Yeah, EDF's are a good way to go if you are looking for something simple to fly and looks good.  By that I mean no props.  I have nothing against props, I have prop planes, its just that they don't belong on jets in my opinion. Check out my EDF F-16 here.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Rhilluk

Why is there a big price difference between fans. Found this website but they appear to be cheap.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type"/>http://www.giantcod.co.uk/spare-fans...t=2a&showAll=1
Old 12-23-2010, 01:04 PM
VentureRC

Is is that you are wondering why the fans on that page are different prices? They are different sizes, ranging from 89mm 7 blade, to 51mm 7 blade.
Bigger fans cost more.  Was this what you were referring to?