Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

HABU 32?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Ted62
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HABU 32?

ORIGINAL: splinter

Ted

[8D] I just turned 62 so I know how you feel. The 800 feet (50 feet wide) of course is being put in for the turbine guys, They are paying for it approx 6 guys with $10,000 + planes

I wanted to put the retracts in that Horizon sells ??? Not a good idea ??? Better struts ????

I also thought using 2 5000 mah 3 cells( in series) made more sense than 6S ???

I was going to use a Phoenix 80 NON- BEC controller and a small battery pack for the servos ???

The tclaridge story has me a little apprehensive Thoughts ???
[:-]
The Eflite 15-25 retracts are very good units - it's the wire gear that keep bending for me, even though they are the units that come with the kit (not the wires that come with the retracts, if that makes sense). Here's what I bought and put in place of the wires that Eflite recommends>http://www.effluxrc.com/Tamjets-E-Fl...ade-TJEUTS.htm Although they add a bit of weight and require some minor wing modification, they are wonderful! Since I put so much $$ into the initial plane and accessories, I justified the expense. The Phoenix 80 amp unit would be my choice too - although I opted for HH's 80 amp unit with BEC - of course, since then, HH has warned against using their BEC with their ESC since some were experiencing brown outs at full throttle. I bought an inexpensive 500 mah lipo (I think it cost around $10) and the Castle 10 amp regulator to take care of everything but the motor. It has worked out extremely well and doesn't add much weight. I put a miniature toggle switch in series with the + lead and it's nice to be able to check everything without putting that huge 6S battery inside the plane. 2X3Sx5000mah batteries makes a lot of sense - I didn't go that route, but, if I want another backup battery, that's what I'll do. PM me for my phone number if you'd like to talk - being retired, I usually have plenty of time.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM
efflux RC

Ted,

What is the Amp and Voltage rating of the rx switch you installed. Just checking.

Gary
Old 05-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Ted62

ORIGINAL: efflux RC

Ted,

What is the Amp and Voltage rating of the rx switch you installed. Just checking.

Gary
Contacts are rated at 3A, 125 VAC.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:22 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

I went with the Ice 100, disabled the BEC, and just put a JR switch and 800ma Nimh rx battery in. Done, no worries.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM
tclaridge

Splinter,
Don't shy away from the Habu because of my crash. I have a replacement, and will fly again. But use higher expo than the manual, and don't cruise around on high rates. Then for insurance to avoid tip stall, "twist" the wing per my post. It will then be rock solid following all these tips.

However, the Habu is a very fast mover. I would not have been ready for such speed unless I had flown the Stryker at 90-100mph. You might try the new Stryker or the Parkzone Habu to get use to going faster than the standard RC. It might help train you for the speed.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
rcpollo
My Feedback: (6)

I have the foam Habu from Parkzone. I really enjoy it with the stock setup. I'm intrigued by the new Habu32 for several reasons. First is the finish (fiberglass) vs the foam. Second like the challenge of flying with retracts and flaps. Third, LHS is going out of business and having a 25% off sale, so I couldn't resist!

First question is since I can fly the foam Habu great, will it be much of a step up to fly the Habu 32? Second, I'm not good at deviating my building from the manual or from the suggested power plant setups. Thus, if I install what is suggested, what will I be missing out on? I'm not looking to maximize speed. If I can get over 100 mph, that'll be enough "pucker factor" for me. Plus, I'll be taking off and landing from/on asphalt; although, my roll out on landing may involve some grass. Will the E-flite retracts be OK?

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM
1bwana1

rcpollo,
  If you will be happy flying over 100mph you will be very happy with the stock setup on the Habu-32, it is much faster than that.  Honestly, I find no snapping tendency with the Habu.  It is a very well mannered airframe.  A friend of mine and I were doing slow rolling circles with it this weekend.  I think this would have shown any bad handling.  The E-Flight retracts work great.  Just build it exactly as the manual says, and you will be all good.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:45 PM
rcpollo
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks. By the way, I read a review by Frank Tiano in FlyRC Magazine. I think he said that assembly time was over 30 hours. Could that be accurate??
Old 05-31-2011, 05:16 PM
1bwana1

30 hours seems a bit long to me.  I'm guessing I spent about 1/2 that, and I'm not a fast builder.  Maybe 30 hours if you sat around and watched the glue dry. LOL!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Ted62

ORIGINAL: rcpollo

Thanks. By the way, I read a review by Frank Tiano in FlyRC Magazine. I think he said that assembly time was over 30 hours. Could that be accurate??
Actually, it might have taken me that long - having never built an EDF before, I was extra careful and really took my time. It made little sense rushing the project in March either. I did see that someone built it in 1 day, so, I suppose it depends on the builder and how much time you have.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont be afraid of the speed, I clocked mine stock at 122MPH sounds alot faster than it looks. The Kit supplied gear are pretty stout my first few landing were pretty rough but it handled them fine, just rebend the strut
Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 AM
splinter
My Feedback: (64)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[size=4]Gentleman

I can now offically join the conversation I purchased a Habu 32 from our local hobby store I also purchased the HH motor, fan unit and retracts.

Now since I am not a JR guy ( you know I fly that other brand that starts with a F )

Servos ??

Speed controller ??

Struts ??

Battery ??

Splinter[/size][:-]
Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 AM
1bwana1

Splinter,

Welcome to the Habu-32 club, you will like this jet. I don't think that which radio you are flying should impact any of the other choices of equipment.

People are having good results with the Hitec servos

Castle creation speed controler, and separate 10amp BEC

Stock struts work fine for most

High C rated batter for motor

You may want to change the color scheme to Orange however. LOL!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 AM
50mph

ORIGINAL: rcpollo

30 minute epxoy take 24 hrs to cure. I believe this is why they state the 30 hours build time.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Hellcat716

I have just finished putting the Habu 32 together and I am concerned about the fit of the wing to the fuselage. I can wiggle the tip of the wing back and forth about 1/32". The fit is tight at the spar but has a bit of gap at the front of the wing where it meets the fuselage. Both sides are this way. Is this normal on the model and if so any problems when flying? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 AM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

ORIGINAL: Hellcat716

I have just finished putting the Habu 32 together and I am concerned about the fit of the wing to the fuselage. I can wiggle the tip of the wing back and forth about 1/32''. The fit is tight at the spar but has a bit of gap at the front of the wing where it meets the fuselage. Both sides are this way. Is this normal on the model and if so any problems when flying? Thanks for any info.
Just put a shim on the rear pin until it feels tight. Very common thing on these Habu's
Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Snake Eyes

Well, I started this thread back in March, ordered the Habu from Horrizon in April and it finally showed up today. I forgot all about it so it was kind of a nice surprise to come home to. What servo recommendations do u guys have if any. The JR's that E-flite recommends are out of stock and I'd hate to have to wait three more months to get everything I need to get this baby in the air. Thanks for any info.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM
efflux RC

ORIGINAL: Snake Eyes

Well, I started this thread back in March, ordered the Habu from Horrizon in April and it finally showed up today. I forgot all about it so it was kind of a nice surprise to come home to. What servo recommendations do u guys have if any. The JR's that E-flite recommends are out of stock and I'd hate to have to wait three more months to get everything I need to get this baby in the air. Thanks for any info.
Most guys are using the HS82MG for the rudder and nose wheel steering. HS 85BB fo everything else.

Here's a tip. use a cut length of a nylon tie wrap to attach the gear doors. (insted of the wood blocks) I made my own doors but the screw locations are the stock ones. The nose door is a ponytail hair bungy and nylon dubro hinges. No servo required.
Our 8s MEGA motor set up does 150 mph max (RADARED)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90194.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1621323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51937.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1621324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67003.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1621325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92923.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1621326   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10559.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1621327  
Old 06-10-2011, 03:19 AM
tclaridge

I used a Hitec 5085 on the rudder. Just remove a little of the plastic flange web, and it drops right in. Eflite recommends a digital in the rudder, and I notice the Parkzone Habu went digital on the rudder too. Not sure why, but it must need the extra torque. I used Hitec 82mg on the nose and elevators, and HS85mg on the wing.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:50 AM
Ted62

Hi Guys - I had a real close call last week - I was ready to land and was doing my pass over the field to drop the gear - my flap/flight mode switch is on the right side (I have since moved that switch to the flap position on my 9303) of the transmitter -I went to lower the flaps and bumped the aileron stick - plane did a 90 degree turn and went inverted at about 25' under some wires - thought I had bought the farm but somehow got it back to the field (right side up) - upon landing (I was still shook up) - the left wingtip hit some high grass and spun the plane into the ground causing the battery tray to break loose - nothing all that severe - scraped a little paint off the nose, but, everything else was OK - scared the bejeebers out of me!!! And, Snake-eyes - good to hear you got the kit - have fun building the jet - it was a fun project and well worth the time and effort. Btw, it's amazing how density altitude affects a jet - these hot Pennsylvania days extend T/O roll and also increase the landing speeds significantly. Jets are a very different breed of aircraft!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 AM
Ted62

What and how do you shim a dowel - or do you mean add a shim the rear of the wing/fuse joint - I have a similar problem fit-wise. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM
bigbaggy

Just got the first two flights on my Habu 32. I have to say it flys very very well. It reminded me of the old ducted fan days of BMV Vipers and Aggressors. I love it.
Servos Jr 368 BB on rudder and elevators, Jr 378s on flaps and ailerons. This is over kill but I plan on this bird being around a long time.
Flew for 6 mins on TP 5000 6s stock set up. I limit full throttle to show center passes and overhead manuervers when I get to altitude the power comes to idle.
CG foward of the 4. 5 a little nose heavy. Separate rx batt eneloop 6 cell 900 mah.
A great airplane. If you have time on the foamie Habu this is a high perfromance version. It will land a little faster but not much.
Double Thumbs up!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Super Kupfer

Efflux,

How soon the Mega's are back in stock?????? I want the Mega for the 8s setup.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:12 PM
efflux RC

I've stopped allowing backorders on the website, as we are backed up about 2 months on the Mega's for the Habu, and don't wan't unhappy, paid customers waiting for them . I'll post when they become available.

Gary
ORIGINAL: Super Kupfer

Efflux,

How soon the Mega's are backin stock?????? I want the Mega for the 8s setup.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Super Kupfer

My personal opinion so far:

I think that the aircrafts quality is great, I'm pretty sure I would love flying it (Maybe not so much with the 6s setup but from the videos I have seen, the aircraft really comes to life on a 8s setup).

From reading this thread and some of the other ones, I think that E-flite should have market it with a Sport power systemoption and a Hot power system option (A 6s motor option and a 8s motor option, Or produce a motor that can handle 6sor 8s batteries).

How hard is that to do, Companies like Hanger 9 do it all the time with some of there planes, How could they have missed on this opportunity??????

I guess that's where people like "efflox rc" and "tam jet" come along.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.