Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

HABU 32?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Ted62
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HABU 32?

Sounds good, Tony - do you fly off grass or blacktop? Looking forward to finishing mine as soon as the DF comes through - hope it's not made in Japan - gulp. I downloaded an F-14 panel and have it sized just right. Need to add a little something to the cockpit floor yet and maybe a glareshield.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 PM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm flying off asphalt sat, and grass sunday if all goes well. I will post grass results.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:57 PM
efflux RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's our slightly hotter than stock MEGA motor upgrade for the Habu 32.
MEGA 16/40/1.5RC http://www.effluxrc.com/MEGA-16-40-1...16-40-15RC.htm

Tested in the E-Flite fan specs: (with a 4000mAh lipo) Results will be higher with a 5000mAh lipo.
Watts: 1973
Amps: 89
RPMs: 48780

We suggest a Castle ICE 100 (or equiv) ESC

Gary

Old 03-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Ted62

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd love to hear your grass results as that's all we have here in south central PA - we do keep it well trimmed and I suspect it will be fine.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:34 AM
172amd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

edgeflyer, any tips on how you removed the decals without damaging the finnish? Did they come off easy? What did you use to remove any glue residue? I am also interested in your results on grass.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 AM
dirtydingus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I removed mine by just slightly warming the surface with a hair dryer, they came right of with no glue residue at all.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 AM
172amd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dirtydingus, I used your hair dryer method. Worked great, and my Habu looks much better.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 AM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I actually pulled mine off without heat. I was afraid if the stickers were junk they would melt easily. The stickers did lift the covering, but is not is barely noticable. One tip is to pull parallel to the wing, not up, so your not pulling the covering up off the wing. You could use a heat gun to heat the area where the sticker was then remove the heat and brush the covering down with your hand to reattach it. The wood on the wings is super soft so the iron will dent it when its 1/4" away.[:@] With all that being said if others have had luck with heat that is the best way to go. It looks waaayyyy better without the stickers. Plus i think it saved a gram !
Old 03-17-2011, 10:13 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any problems/issues with the stock/recommended 80 Amp ESC from E-Flight ? The ESC is the only thing I need to complete mine. Thanks. Bob
Old 03-17-2011, 11:13 AM
dirtydingus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The nice clean look.
I think they did a nice job with the decals I just don't like having the same plane as everyone else.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96414.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	1580071  
Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Ted62

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good - did you leave out the cockpit detail to save weight? I also wonder if anyone will try to do a front landing gear door? That might clean up the airflow at the front.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 PM
GeeBee-RCU
My Feedback: (324)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am confused about the servo placement......shouldn't the metal gear servo be on the steering not the rudder?I really see no need for metal gears on a rudder that is not connected to the steering front wheel?? Can somebody explain it ?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:06 AM
BalsaBob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rudder 'flutter' can destroy an aircraft in an instant ..... so I think Horizon is recommending that servo to guarantee that from happening. I (personally) think the servo they recommended is a bit of overkill so I went with a Hitec 5085. It is digital and metal gear and cost about $ 42. For the nosewheel steering, I am using a Hitec non-digital metal gear servo. Bob
Old 03-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Ted62

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BalsaBob

Rudder 'flutter' can destroy an aircraft in an instant ..... so I think Horizon is recommending that servo to guarantee that from happening. I (personally) think the servo they recommended is a bit of overkill so I went with a Hitec 5085. It is digital and metal gear and cost about $ 42. For the nosewheel steering, I am using a Hitec non-digital metal gear servo. Bob
Hi Bob,

I'm still in the construction phase here ready to install my retracts. May I ask which transmitter you plan to use. Also, are you planning on doing anything with the cockpit interior? I'd like to paint mine, but, I hate to add any weight the plane. Your thoughts are appreciated. This is my first EDF or first jet, actually.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:26 AM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Going back to making the plane look " more expensive" I left the cockpit out because it kinda made it look somewhat toyish, but when i took it out with the well above average build quality it almost seems more like a small bandit than a cheap EDF. I used MC 35's on ail, flap, and steering. The rudder was the hitec equivelant to the JR recomendation, although it was a bear to fit in. I would recomend a HS85MG for all surfaces if I had to do it again. They actually fit in with no mods. I will change the steering to a HS55MG later, and do away with the servo saver springs since it seemed to hunt while taxiing (?) last night. I used a AR7000 reciever which allowed me to mix the steering and rudder and not have to buy an 8 channel reciever. Ailerons, and flaps are Y'd, I see no need to run seperate channels unless you want to crow. As i was typing my Kirk massey called from New Creatons Rc in willis Texas. He has a HABU, motor, and fan IN STOCK !!!!!!!!!!! Tell him Brian told you to call. (936)856-4630
Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 AM
BalsaBob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ted62, Since you mentioned this is youir first EDF/first jet ...... my suggestion is to make it your second jet ! The Habu 32 is too nice to learn on (as far as learning how EDFs fly/handle). Pick up a foam Habu ..... or better yet, the Meteor from Nitro Planes. The Meteor is a Habu copy/clone. For $ 150 you get everything including a battery and a transmitter. I have one, I primarily bought it just to have something to bang around during the winter months ..... and I was surprised to see how good it flies. Practice/learn on the Meteor or foam Habu ...... the Habu 32 is really too nice to ding up. Bob
Old 03-18-2011, 09:34 AM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with BalsaBob i figured the wingloading compared to my starfire turbine im building and its the same. Jets land diferently than prop planes, so atleast get someone to walk you through the landing procedure and most importantly throttle management. Good luck with whatever you do. Jets are so freaking addicting.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 AM
BalsaBob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ted62, Here is the link to the Meteor ..... learn on this. Everything is included for $ 150. Bob

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...r-edf-24g.html
Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 AM
GeeBee-RCU
My Feedback: (324)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man that meteor looks JUST like the "used" Habu I bought for $175 and it even comes with a battery.....what a DEAL!!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 AM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good - did you leave out the cockpit detail to save weight? I also wonder if anyone will try to do a front landing gear door? That might clean up the airflow at the front
I thought about doing that but I am worried about esc cooling, and figured the hole in the stock gear door will let enough ventilation through.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:07 PM
1bwana1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dirtydingus,

I also like the "nice clean look" for the Habu.  I am planning in removing the decals, and not having the canopy floor on mine.  Yours looks just like I envision mine will.  How did you tint the canopy?  I really like it, and would like to do mine that way.

Steve
Old 03-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Tip22v

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got mine setup with all recommened gear, except I am using a Turnigy 6S 5000 30-40c.
I am using a JR/Spektrum 9th receiver. Everytime I run the throttle up to full speed the BEC
Cuts out. I confirmed this by powering the receiver with a separate battery and everything was fine.
Anyone else experiencing this, is my ESC bad?

Thanks for the help.

Tip
Old 03-19-2011, 08:27 AM
1bwana1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does your receiver start blinking after the shut-offindicating a lossof power from the BEC to the receiver?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:29 PM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just got done flying off concrete. Wow, what a *****cat. This thing floats like an extra. I retract my statment on not flying as a first jet. This thing fly's so good i would dare say its a good trainer jet. No throttle management for landing. Put down flaps chop throttle BEFORE final turn and coast in. The RTF weight will have you cringing, but its not a factor. My jet also was a turd on speed wise, but by the second flight it was 30 MPH faster and rotated much quicker. I used low rate for takeoff, as opposed to mid rate that the manual says to and it took full up eleator and 400 feet the first take off, so use the mid rate setting on takeoff. Also I started with a mid range CG, but ended up with it at the tail heavy end of the spektrum. GPS showed 125 on the 3rd flight with a 35C 5000 hyperion. The batt was pretty warm, so I expedt better performance from the 50C. Only issue was the ball on the end of the hatch latch vibrated loose, even with a balanced fan. It does have a lot of proverse roll in knife edge though. Thumbs way up to horizon.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:03 PM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crap, I just realized I should have programed the Ice 100. It was in outrunner mode. I hope it does 200 MPH tomorrow !

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service