Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

HABU 32?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Tip22v

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HABU 32?

Yes, the receiver blinks indicating a loss of pwr from the BEC to the rx.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:09 PM
1bwana1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tip22v

Yes, the receiver blinks indicating a loss of pwr from the BEC to the rx.
Well, it looks like at least the BEC portion of the speed controler is not working properly. I know that Horizon is saying that the internal BEC is good enough for the stock setup, but I have never been comfortable running an internal BEC with this many servos. I will be using a Castle 110-HV ESC and a Castle BEC pro in mine. However, I am not running the recommended servos, I will be using some digitals I already had that are a little more powerfull, and lighter.

I guess you got a bad unit, you will need to send it back. The good news is that you discovered it on the ground, and it did not cost you the plane.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:11 PM
1bwana1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: edgeflyer

Crap, I just realized I should have programed the Ice 100. It was in outrunner mode. I hope it does 200 MPH tomorrow !
I'm guessing you will pick up some speed. If you get 200 MPH I'll be using your new ESC settings too. LOL!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Ted62
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I retract my statment on not flying as a first jet. This thing fly's so good i would dare say its a good trainer jet. No throttle management for landing. Put down flaps chop throttle BEFORE final turn and coast in. The RTF weight will have you cringing, but its not a factor.
That's a real endorsement! Now I'm really anxious to fly the Habu - I'm really taking my time building it - I'm just at the stabilizer stage now. I'll probably regret taking the time putting on gear doors on the mains - flying off grass may rip them right off. Oh well. Being retired has its advantages - lotsa time. The tinted canopy looked really nice on a previous post - I may go that route instead of adding the weight of a fake pilot. Also, is anyone using a 9303 with 8 channels - I'd be interested in knowing your programming as I'm no expert with the 9303.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 PM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 9303 is similar in programing to my 12X. Let me know what questions you have. I'll also see about posting a video of tomorrows flight off grass. I used the gear doors, so I'll also post that up.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:17 PM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am not using a bec, and haven't on any Ice 100 including my miss wind with 8711's in it. I feel comfortable now with that setup, but I don't blame you for being cautious. I'll get some amp readings from my castle link also.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Tip22v

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm using a 9503, with an 8ch receiver you will need two Y harneses. If
You use a 9ch Rx then you only need one Y harness. If
You go with a 9ch Rx you will need to inhibit your gear channel
And assign your Gear switch to Aux4. This will allow you to
Use your Gear port to mate with your other flap. Being
Able to use sub-trim on ailerons and flaps makes it easier
To get everything fine tuned.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Tip22v

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the help with the BEC. I've reconfigured my setup
To use a separate Castle BEC. After running servos and fan for
4+ minutes everything worked perfectly.

Now all I need is some decent wx for the maiden flight!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:08 AM
Ted62

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 9303 is similar in programing to my 12X. Let me know what questions you have. I'll also see about posting a video of tomorrows flight off grass. I used the gear doors, so I'll also post that up.
I should be ready to install the receiver later this week - doing the stabilizer and elevators today and tomorrow. Of course, I'm assuming the dang DF unit will arrive this week - been on BO for a good while now. I really get confused when we talk of inhibiting this and mixing that, etc etc. The 9303 is a great piece of equipment, it's just me. Good luck on the grass takeoff today - by the sound of things, it should go well, especially at the half flaps setting. Btw, did you balance the fan unit? Sounds like some of the guys are doing that.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:54 AM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes I dynamicaly balanced it. The way i do it is to mark the fan adapter with a sharpe, and also mark the fan for index marks. Hold the fan in my hand securly, and hook a 3s lipo up to it (NOT A 6S !!!!) and slowly run it up. Even if it feels good rotate the fan 1/3 turn do it again, take note of vibes, and rotate a third again. Figure the best spot and there's your balance. Obviously there are safer ways, but unless you spend $$$$$ on a dynamic balancer, just using a static balancer just leaves you guessing if its really as good as it can be. On 3S its not enough thrust to come out of your hand if you have a moderate grip and run it up slowly. New Creations rc has a fan and motor in stock. (936)856-4630. I'm going flying. See yall in a few hours.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:27 PM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well it flew it off grass and it came off in 350 feet. Use the higher rates recomended for takeoff. Plane is a great flyer, unfortunatly I got bit doing full throttle (40 feet) low passes, choping the throttle then banking hard (sounds and looks cool). I got a little carried away with the yank and it snap rolled and was too low to recover. The plane was amazingly in tact for going straight in at 50 plus. Its still fiberglass and will require a new fuse, but it will have to wait till the turbine gets finished.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:45 PM
1bwana1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

EdgeFlyer,
  Darn, sorry to hear about the crash.  Were you flying on high rates when you snapped it in?  The good news is that the complete fuse will only be $125.99 when HH gets replacement stock.  That is one of the great thing about HH.

How was the power after the ESC reprogramming?

I hate to say it, but you promised video of todays flights, can't wait to see it.  LOL!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Ted62

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dang - sorry to hear that, but, it duz happen. Very glad to hear it took off OK on grass. That's all I have here. I'll be careful of the snap rolls - intentional or otherwise.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:25 PM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You have to get pretty dang agressive for that to happen. The problem was I let the plane slow a little too much before turning and it bled too much speed in the turn for the relativly high wing loading of this plane. Nothing to be afraid of I just tend to take a lot of chances to satisfy my need for all things extreme. Hope to hear some fight reports next week !
Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 PM
1bwana1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good to hear it was caused by slow speed, rather than some design problem making the plane likely to high speed stall.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry for your mishap edgeflyer ..... that is the dark side of our hobby.

Also, did you re-program the ICE 100 out of outrunner mode ? Much of a difference ? (I am also going to use the Ice 100). Bob
Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 AM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ill post vid tonight. Not crash, just first flight. Settings didn't seem to affect much. I was told the ice 100 learns timing, so it may have self adjusted saturday which is why my speed increases every flight.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Ted62

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll be anxious to see the video! I'm still torn as to whether or not to include the pilot detail - do you think it would make a significant difference speed/weight wise? I'm tempted to order the fan from the source someone quoted on this site - but, Horizon has been pretty good about getting their back orders out and they don't charge additional shipping either - so, since flying weather is still out there somewhere, I guess I'll just wait. Everything else is installed now - just need the fan.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 PM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's the video link. A little background: This was the first grass takeoff, but I had been flying off concrete. I had the wheels tight on the axles to act as poorboy brakes. You'll notice the very long runout which was cut in half when I dremmeled the bushings out after that flight. Takeoff rolls after that were 350 feet instead of 600. My photographer was having a hard time filming so I told him he could stop filming. Its not long or good but it a video. This jet sounds more like a turbine than any electric I've ever heard. Audio dosn't do it justice.

[link]http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj233/edgeflyer/Habu/?action=view&current=Habu142.mp4[/link]
Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Ted62

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's the video link. A little background: This was the first grass takeoff, but I had been flying off concrete. I had the wheels tight on the axles to act as poorboy brakes. You'll notice the very long runout which was cut in half when I dremmeled the bushings out after that flight. Takeoff rolls after that were 350 feet instead of 600.
Thanks a bunch - the plane looked awesome. Speaking of the wheels, I also noticed that the bushings that fit the wheels were way too tight on the axles - I reamed out the bushings with a 3.7mm drill which provided a slop-free fit and the wheels act like they're in ball bearings now. I imagine the grass will slow the jet down if I make a good approach and set her down where I should. Now that you've had a chance to look at the damage, how bad is it? New fuselage or a repair? I played around with the JR9303 a bit this afternoon and have things the way I want them, I think. I have a Top Flite Staggerwing which lost power shortly after take off last year and I have yet to do the repair on it - the retracts broke their mounts in the fiberglass fuselage and it'll be a bear to repair, but, I'd better get to it. Horizon says their shipment of ducted fans should be here any day. Thanks again for the video and, hopefully, you'll get the Habu up again soon.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:12 PM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It'll be a bit since the stork is bringing me a little pilot in July I gotta get the turbine done, then its back to the Habu. Shouldn't have any problem slowing her down, roll out is not very long with those tiny wheels. Can't wait to hear about your flight. Don't forget to use take off and landing flaps, and don't grease it in, you can land it relativly slow for a jet. Definatly faster than a low wing prop jet, but it dosn't need to be super fast. I have hell remembering to put the flaps down after 20 plus years of flying without them, but it really makes a diference.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM
1bwana1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice video Edgeflyer, thanks for posting. The stock power system is certianly fast enough for a first EDF pilot like me. This will be a fun change from my big, slow IMAC planes.

Congratulations on the new baby!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Ted62

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, after much study and experimentation, I have finally figured out the 9303, I believe. It's one heckuva transmitter and I had a good time figuring it all out. The one thing that bothered me from the outset was the fact that the Habu uses a servo for the nose wheel and a separate servo for the rudder. What I ended up doing (please offer a better alternative if you have one) was putting the 2 servos on the 1st programmable mix channel. The rudder is still rudder and the nose wheel servo is Aux 3. Since I don't want the nose wheel to be very sensitive at high take off speeds, I am using exponential and keeping a relative dead band around the rudder neutral point while keeping the rudder at its normal sensitivity. There's also a position named #rudder and I haven't quite figured that one out yet, but, I will. I have the ailerons on the aileron channel and Aux 2. I am also using flight modes in order to have a better way to adjust dual rates in the 3 modes of T/O, cruise, and landing. What do you think - am I making this too hard? LOL
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM
edgeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your setup sounds fine. There's many diferent ways to accomplish the same goals with the new radios. I don't think you'll need expo on the nose gear. Mainly the seperate nose servo is to be able to adjust the steering trim independant of the rudder. I also use flight modes. I have a precision flight mode, a take off mode with a little more elevator than precision, and high rates for crashing Habu's. [sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Ted62

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes - the high rate settings are the ones I'll try to avoid - LOL. Being 65 years young, my reactions have slowed a little, but, I'm anxious to get this baby in the air. Thanks for all your help and advice - keep in touch too - congrats on the prospective arrival this summer. Our "boys" are both in their 30's - I am a retired chemistry instructor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service