Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

HABU 32?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Snake Eyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HABU 32?

Checked out the new Habu at the WRAM show. Looks pretty nice. Saw some vids with a p-20 in it, pretty cool. Thinking about getting one but of course no one seems to have them in stock. Was just looking for some input from any of you guys that are flying one already. What do you think and where did you purchase it? Thanks for any info....
Old 03-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: HABU 32?

They are not available yet.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Ted62

I have pre-ordered one directly from Horizon and it should arrive sometime this month. I downloaded the assembly manual and it looks like a very nice assembly project with most of the structural work already completed. I'm hoping to eventually get into turbine power, but, need to get my reactions tuned to this kind of speed first. I did see one of the new Habus fly with P20 power at Florida Jets this week and it looked very fast. I also saw it fly with EDF power and it was almost as impressive! No need to put a turbine in the Habu, imho. Hope we can keep this thread going since all of us can help each other out when it comes time for setting mixes, etc. I'll be using my JR9303 to use with an 8 channel setup and will hope I can get everything working properly without much help, but, the 9303 isn't the easiest transmitter to program.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:43 PM
efflux RC

The Habus are shipping now. We will have our test and demo unit soon.
For those looking for more power, we will be offering 8s Mega motors with 5mm shafts to fit the stock, E-Flite fan.
We'll also be looking at altenative higher power setups.

Gary - www.effluxrc.com
[email protected]
Old 03-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Ted62

They are, unfortunately, back ordered. I believe they will be wildly popular and are being released at a very opportune time for Horizon. I hope one of the forum's JR 9303 experts will be around if I need help setting the Habu up. :-)
Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Snake Eyes

I hope they will be readily available soon. Was hoping to be able to get one before the nice weather gets here. Cause once it does I'd rather be flying than building. Focusing on getting my turbine waiver this spring. Had my Elan all checked out and test flown in the fall, so every free minute I get this spring I wanna be flying my Elan and hopefully get my waiver this summer. As for the Habu my plan is to keep it electric and just enjoy it as is for a while. I think it will be a nice way to warm up in the morning for the first couple of flights of the day. It's been a long winter here in the Big Apple, looking forward to some good flying weather.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 AM
wpotter6

On RCGroups some people have recieved theirs already, there are even pictures available. I pre-ordered mine back on Nov 19th, and have been worried that I may not get in on the first shipment, but my bank account is indicating today a charge pending from HH. If it ships out of CA, then I should have it by the end of the week. I already have my reciever, batteries, servos and retracts ready to install.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Ted62

That's great news - I very recently ordered mine, so, the wait may be a long one. Oh well, more time to get the bench cleared off!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Ted62

I received word from Horizon today that mine might not be shipped for 6-8 weeks. Oh well, less wind at the end of the summer anyway - lol. Even the fans and motors are on B/O.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Snake Eyes

I just received an e-mail from Horizon yesterday stating that they should get their next shipment by the end of the month. But I'm sure there are plenty of people that have them on back order. Guess I'll just wait and see...
Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 AM
Ted62

Looks like the guys in England have their eyes on the Habu for a turbine setup - the performance of the Habu with EDF power, however, is very nice although the advantages of turbine power are there (better sound, smell, less weight when landing, etc). Where I live, it's next to impossible to get a waiver to legally fly a turbine. Even if it were easier, I still choke at the thought of putting >$2600 into a power plant for a miniature airplane. Some of the jets at the Florida Jet Fly last week must have been in the $10-15K group if not more. I still have to wonder why the asking price for a model turbine has not come down over the years. Are they really that expensive to build?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Ted62

Habu has arrived as of today! Only ordered it last week so they are getting caught up !!! Pictures attached. Btw, the kitty in picture 3 wasn't included! LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86245.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	1576413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77530.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	1576414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32953.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1576415  
Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
dirtydingus

I picked up my Habu 32 on Tuesday and flew it this morning and was a bit disappointed in the speed. We put the radar gun on it and saw 111mph and 124 in a dive, not what the factory quotes. Im running 6s 5000 30c batteries and the stock equipment.
The plane flies nice and is very stable, so other than the not so blistering speeds all is well.

Jim
Old 03-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Hellcat716

My local hobby shop told me mine would be in on Tuesday and would call when it arrived. I called them today and asked if they were in and was told they were sold out. He sold it out from under me. What a rip off. Had it on backorder for a couple months. He finally admitted mistakes happen. Have all the components but the airframe. He said I should be able to get one by the 20th. Will wait and see.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Ted62

Do you fly off blacktop or grass? Our field is grass although we keep it well manicured. Sorry it seems a little slow for you - anything over 100 mph is great in my book, but, I'm not that used to jets yet. Perhaps a turbine is in the future.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Ted62

"Construction" (better named completion) of the Habu has begun. So far, no surprises - fit and finish of the wings, stabs, fuselage are all first class or "platinum" as the Horizon advertising says. I forsee a question which I will ask now hoping someone out there will read it and comment. I am using a JR9303 which at least for me is a bit complicated. I know all the basics but when it comes time to do a mix, I am pretty pathetic. Could someone out there let me know how to set up a rudder>nosewheel mix? Also, is there a way with the 9303 to inhibit the steering of the nosewheel while retracted? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:09 AM
efflux RC

We have Tam's Strut upgrade for the E-flite 15-25 retracts (HABU 32 !!) coming in this week.
We will also be supplying MEGA 6s and 8s motors to fit the stock E-flite 80mm EDF. The 6s motor isa slightly hotter kv than the E-flite motor. but the resistance is less and the motor is longer (cooler operation)
For you So Cal guys, you can save some $ by picking up locally in Valencia, or when I come down to the basin. (Apollo Field)
We have a HABU and two fan units for testing.

Thanks, Gary

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36630.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1577530   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42628.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	1577531  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 AM
1bwana1

ORIGINAL: Ted62

"Construction" (better named completion) of the Habu has begun. So far, no surprises - fit and finish of the wings, stabs, fuselage are all first class or "platinum" as the Horizon advertising says. I forsee a question which I will ask now hoping someone out there will read it and comment. I am using a JR9303 which at least for me is a bit complicated. I know all the basics but when it comes time to do a mix, I am pretty pathetic. Could someone out there let me know how to set up a rudder>nosewheel mix? Also, is there a way with the 9303 to inhibit the steering of the nosewheel while retracted? Thanks in advance.
When you set up your rudder to nosewheel mix just select the mix switch to be the same switch you are using for the retracts (normally the Gear Switch). Have the mix active in the gear down position, and inactive in the gear up position.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 PM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

I picked up my Habu 32 on Tuesday and flew it this morning and was a bit disappointed in the speed. We put the radar gun on it and saw 111mph and 124 in a dive, not what the factory quotes. Im running 6s 5000 30c batteries and the stock equipment.
The plane flies nice and is very stable, so other than the not so blistering speeds all is well.

Jim
I started my Habu tonight and plan on flying Sat morning. My evader at 115 is super fast flown in tight, but out 100 feet or so it seems slow. If you're flyiong far enough out for the bigger habu to seem slow, maybe the radar gun is inacurate. Also a 30C batt is at the low end of the scale. There is a 50C batt option. I suspect they are flying on 50C. Also a China 30C battery could possibly be closer to 20-25C in reality. There is a reason there cheaper. Did you use the bigger rudder servo ? I had to do quite a bit of work to fit mine in. Beautiful plane, and I'm very pleased. Problems I've seen are the rudder servo, the duct work dosn't fit the motor very well (deformed and too small for motor), and the scribe lines the refer to to cut the cockpit floor out aren't there. Can't wait to fly it. Poor evader it was a good run.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 PM
friedclutch

ORIGINAL: dirtydingus

I picked up my Habu 32 on Tuesday and flew it this morning and was a bit disappointed in the speed..........

Jim
Maybe try a different battery and/or balance the fan. I ordered the Nano-tech 45-90c 6s 5000 mah pack. Should have mine in the air this weekend if my retracts and battery get here in time.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 AM
dirtydingus

The Habu seems a little faster now that I have flown it 20 times. I've been told the batteries have to be charged a few times before they come to life. We are now getting speeds around 136 mph ( strange )
I don't think with the stock set up a 45c battery is going to make a difference. I'm pulling 1700 watts and 74.5 amps and after a hard flight my battery is cool as a cucumber.
Jim
Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 AM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Cool, I've heard about the batteries needing cycles for a while too. I can see that being the case. Glad its performing for you. I removed the habu and snake decals, and it really made it look like a more expensive plane. Atleast it made it look like the amount it cost
Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
friedclutch

That makes sense. Another guy is getting 138mph with a high rate lipo on the other thread. I can tell you that my 4s nano lipos took 4 to 5 cycles before they came alive. And ALIVE they came. my foam f-16 is considerably faster on the high discharge packs.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Ted62

Good thread so, far, guys. I received my back-ordered ESC today - now I'm just missing the DF. Has anyone looked into detailing the cockpit a little more and, if so, comment on what you did. I would at least like to simulate a couple instruments on the small "dash" area and perhaps do some line art on the floor deck. Gotta see what I can print out and reduce in size to make it look good. Also, has anyone flown off of grass yet - maybe I'll be the first.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:12 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Just flew the first 4 flights on my Habu 32. Completely stock setup including the recommended E-Flite packs. Flies extremely well! I don't have radar but it seems to be around 130 to 140. Very good power with quick climbs and big loops. Flies like a little Bandit. Very smooth and tracks like it's on rails. Landings are easy but it doesn't float.

I think this is the best model from Horizon I have ever assembled and flown. The quality is very high. Took about 10 to 12 hours to assemble and set up. I'm looking forward to a lot more flights with this!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.