Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have a "good" review for BH?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Does anyone have a "good" review for BH?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Flyin_Low

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Does anyone have a "good" review for BH?

I have been flyingplane andhelisfor years. Now I am thinking about an EDF. I don't want to spend a lot of money cause I am not sure if I will get to spend a lot of timeflying. Banana Hobbyhas a lessthan stellar reputationfrom what I have read. My question is, has anyone had good experiences with the product purchased from Banana Hobby?
Thanks guys (and girls if you are out there). I look forward to the replys....
Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 PM
k12rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone have a

try hobby king usa warehouse or nitro modles
Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 PM
kodiak536

I am actually a recent customer of banana hobby.
Due to the bad reputation for the poor quality of their RTF EDF jets, I ordered a ART airframe only 7 CH BZ-16 with thrust vectoring and retracts.
Everything went smooth as far as I can tell you and item received as advertised.
Day after I placed my order, I e-mailed them and chatted online to verify EXACTLY what I oredered to make sure there will be no "mistakes" on my order.
Yes, I've read practically all the bad reviews of banana hobby but, they had the only jet I wanted.
I ordered the internal parts to try and complete this jet from nitroplanes.
I'm now in process of assembly but still likes few more parts.
Be forewarned, their EDF kit comes from Chinese manufacturer and their idea of "instructions" is very vague and mostly photos with little in a way of instructions.
Would I recommend them? Yes, with extreme caution.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:56 AM
Flyin_Low

I appreciate your responses...
Old 03-11-2011, 04:29 AM
rcmiket

I too am a recent first time buyer with BH. After hearing all the horror stories I stayed away. Then when LX released the large A-10 I really wanted to pick one up. I tried all my normal vendors and short of ordering from overseas BH was my only source. I took a chance. Shipping took 4 working days to my door. It arrived intact, undamaged and everything was included. I bench tested everything and it all worked. I'm in the process of assembly and see no reason why I should have any problems. I did replace the stock BEC with my own set up due to personal preference and experience with EDF's I can't say that your transaction will go smooth but be sure the item you want is in stock. Pay with Pay Pal or a CC so you have recourse. Would I order from them again chances are yes but it would have to be something that I have no other source for. Hope this helps.
Mike
Old 03-11-2011, 08:17 PM
mctague

i've ordered 3 models from BH and have had issues with everyone of them. i have now missing parts( forgot a radio) damage to one big p-51 f-16 has two left horizontal stabs ECT. they allways need pictures of the problems.i just want to fly them not worry about when i'll get the problem solved. JERRY
Old 03-11-2011, 09:09 PM
mctague

and forgot about the F-16 with vectoring. the fan was not secured to the fuse, just laying inside. they do have quality control issues. this is the last straw. made in china they need to assemble in the (usa) i had to send pictures of all the issues i'm having. so it'll be a long wait to resolve thie problem.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:11 AM
rcmiket

Try this. Direct E mail to their CS rep.
Mike

[email protected]
Old 03-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Flyin_Low

Thanks guys...
Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 PM
lnelson

I just made my first and more than likely last purchase from BH. Their advertising and website promise quite a bit, but so far, nothing as described.
I purchased the BlitzRcworks F16 edf and while it was packed well, it was missing some needed parts, such as the control horns and backing plates. No amount of calls would get me in touch with anyone and their live support decided to cut me off when I had a question about cost and refunds.
This is, admittedly, a low cost item, and being a newbe, I should have expected it. It will not, however, discourage me from being interested in this hobby.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:42 AM
heavy metal thunder

I have a BlitzRC P-38 from BH. As Nitroplanes did not have a similar one I got my from BH. As far as the plane went it looks good and flies nice. The retracts are something else as the nose gear (nose and main gear are made from cheap plastic) broke on the initial take off and the gear doors didn't close. Their customer service could do anything for me, so I just made a new nose gear. A few flights later one of the main gear retract gear broke. As long as you don't receive a return from someone else and don't need to customer service you probably be OK. What kind of EDF are you looking for as I've flow and owned many of them, I might be able to help you.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:51 AM
Flyin_Low

I'm looking at the F-5 for $169
Old 03-20-2011, 03:57 PM
heavy metal thunder

The BH F-5 is good flying plane, but the retracts are made from a low quality plastic. You might want to check utube for videos of guys flying that plane. I don't know if Pete has done a video for it. Currently, you fly planes and Helis, what kind of radio do you have and if you fly electrics what kind of batteries do you have? Look at the specs for the BH 70mm F-5, it takes a 2200 mah 4 cell battery. Some of the performance specs are pure hog wash. Nitroplanes has a smaller 64 mm F-5 that is receiver ready for $109 and I use 2200 mah 3 cell batteries in it. Its smaller and I think that Tony has done a video on it. I aquired the original plane Tony flew in the video for continual testing and it is still flying, though a bit beat. Both planes can fly for 4 to 4.5 minutes on one battery charge. So both airplanes are good fliers, it comes down to what you currently have and how much you can afford to spend on batteries.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:36 PM
rcmiket

Here's a video of a stock LX A-10 from BH. No issues what so ever.
Mike

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDanny.../5/hSCjHhriF98
Old 03-20-2011, 05:33 PM
fossoman

Ive Dealt with them twice I know there is basically no tech support but I received both planes Ive ordered undamaged except for a bad Steering servo which I just replaced isnt worth the hassle to send it back. The first plane was an F18 Hornet 70mm edf jet which flew fine crashed due to pilot error still using the esc in another plane. the Second was the LX F22 Raptor with retracts plane flys great even though the elevator and rudder controls are linked. Only complaint the Retract landing gear bends too easy when making grass landings. At least the parts are available for the F22 though it was quite a pain to find the website page for the parts. They seem to have the planes everyone wants and the customer service no one wants to deal with. lifetime tech support what a joke though I hear they are improving somewhat
Old 03-21-2011, 08:44 AM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Their airframes are OK while their electrics are junk! I've been burned by their crappy electronics twice and won't buy anything RTF or PNP from them again. IF I buy from them, it's airframe only.

RJ
Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Flyin_Low

thank guys.I took a chance and went ahead with the order.... It's supposed to be here this week (from CA to GA). I will keep you posted..... So far so good, I will say they shipped it pretty quickly.... More to come.....
Old 03-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Flyin_Low

Update on my Banana Hobby experience....

Received the plane today.  Almost all of the parts were there (missing retract pushrods and screws , luckily I have enough stuff around to take care of that).  So over all I think I got a $169 edf jet for $169.  My expectation were not too high so I am not dissapointed.  Now I gotta get this bird in the air....

Old 03-28-2011, 04:06 AM
Flyin_Low

There was a break in the rain this weekend so I got out to the field and took my F5 for it's maiden flight.  Sweet.....................  Took it off and only had to make a few trim adjustments to have it flying level.  The retracts worked flawlessly and the fan sounded great (this is the only one I have ever heard).  I really only have one thing I was not impressed with.  As far as the "90 mph" in the discription....  Well maybe with a 30 mph tail wind or in a straight dive but level flight.....  NOT.....  I will put a radar gun on it next time I go out and find out exactly how fast it's going. 

I can't wait to do it again.....  I'm hooked......

Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 PM
lnelson

Glad to see the purchase was relatively easy.
I still have had no reply to the letter I sent 9 days ago regarding my missing parts (their address is only 20 minutes from me).
I did attach photo's of the missing parts, so I hope it helps, but I have no confidence I will ever get them. I guess I will adapt another type of control horn (need 3, with backing plates and screws).
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I have had great success, they are trying to fix things now and have hired some help. RCgroups has a rep there for any issues you may have
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 AM
rcmiket

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I have had great success, they are trying to fix things now and have hired some help. RCgroups has a rep there for any issues you may have
My one and only order went smooth. I hope there do get their issues resolved they often are the only vendor for some items.
Mike
Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 PM
lnelson

"RCgroups has a rep there"....How or where do I find the link to there?

I really would like to have the original parts.  Thanks for your help.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:27 PM
mobaddawg

I have ordered 2 50mm F-16 from there and both flew flawlessly. Too bad I didnt catch that tree in time ( and the control horn came off). I will be buying another airframe soon.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Flyin_Low

OK, Now I bought a servo rate reduce to slow down the retracts on my F5.....  Cool.......  I can get into this.... 

I just watch some of the foam jets crash on youtube and thought boy, there ain't much left when these puppies hit the ground.  And then I thought about it....  There ain't much left when balsa and monocote plane hits the ground and for that matter when a fiberglass and plastic heli hits the ground.  So now I have a new goal....  Don't 'hit' the ground and it is all good......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.