Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Nitro Planes Starfire EDF

Old 03-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Nitro Planes Starfire EDF

Hi,

I've had a few requests to start a build thread on the [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/starfire-edf.html]Starfire EDF101[/link] plane now on sale for only $100 at [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/starfire-edf.html]Nitro Planes[/link]. This is a popular quality fiberglass painted EDF trainer that is an excellent value. Many people have build and flown this model with a range of 5s to 10s LiPo packs. It makes a great entry into higher power 90mm EDFs, so lets see your setups and modifications on this model as it is an excellent flyer with very stable characteristics!

Specifications:[ul][*] Wing span: 53.5 in / 1360 mm[*] Wing area: 419 sq in / 27 sq dm[*] Flying weight: 6.2lb / 2820g[*] Fuselage length: 49 in / 1245 mm[/ul]
Requirements:[ul][*] EDF : 101mm / 4.0 in x 1pcs[*] Radio Required: 4channels, 5servos[*] Brushless Motor : D36 x L 50 mm x 1pcs ; 2200 kv[*] Speed Controller : 22.2 v ; 85A[*] Li-poly Battery : 4000mAh ; 25 C[/ul]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85245.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	1579271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65694.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1579272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34014.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1579273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51663.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1579274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37222.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1579275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99965.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1579276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56013.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1579277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92939.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1579278  

Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Nitro Planes Starfire EDF

To power my Starfire, I'm using a Lander 90mm DF with a Wemotec Midi Pro rotor, a Castle Creations [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVJN2&P=ML]ICE 100[/link] ESC, an older HET Typhoon 600-42 motor, and two 4s 30C 4000mAh [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/83p-4000mah-4s1p-148-30c.html]Blue LiPo[/link] packs in series for 8s. The power system will provide about 2400 watts.

Notice how nicely the Lander DF fits into the Starfire opening and the ICE 100 ESC is directly in the air flow for cooling. I added some hardwood blocks to mount the clamshell that holds the Lander metal DF.

The intake ducts will be cleaned up further into the build.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ki19588.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1579284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63051.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1579285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19098.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1579286  
Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The horizontal stabilizer is mounted on the stock carbon rod and wooden alignment tabs. I deviated from the stock setup that uses long control rods from the elevators to the servos in the main cabin area. I decided to mount the E-flite S75 sub-micro servos to the wood support spars inside the fuselage and cut slots for the arms to protrude through the fiberglass wall.

In this manner, the linkage can be installed below the stabilizer with short control rods to the elevator. I used my own control rod, clevis, and keepers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zx71847.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1579290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24254.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1579291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87128.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1579292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79220.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1579293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57497.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1579294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy35467.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1579295  
Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For a clean looking vertical stabilizer, I mounted the S75 servo right inside the stab. This required a slight cutting of the bottom stab opening and a small balsa wedge to hold the servo in place.

The pull-pull elevator linkage is connected with short runs of Firewire fishing line to the Du-bro 2-56 Swivel Ball Links and a Sullivan 2-56 Steel Stud that runs through the rudder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ki20289.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1579300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62065.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1579301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31984.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1579302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22492.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1579303  
Old 03-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The completed tail section looks nice and clean.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fd91463.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1579744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77935.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1579745  
Old 03-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I replaced the stock fiberglass roll with my own Mylar for the thrust tube as it was a little short for where I mounted my Lander DF. I may use the fiberglass roll to smooth out the air intake area when I clean up the intake ducting.

My normal FSA was used from other projects as it is a good compromise between thrust and speed. The tube length of 12-1/2" was used to allow it to exit the tail. After taping the thrust tube to the DF, I sealed the opening for the motor wires with some Plumber's GOOP.

I added some black paint to the rear former to enhance the look.

The bottom hatch was held in place with some clear 3M Scotchcal strips.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Qo41263.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1580129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87379.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1580130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73265.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1580131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10324.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1580132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83307.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1580133  
Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 PM
maverickma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for starting this thread Greg. So the s75 servos are strong enough for this bird?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:26 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used the S75 servos in other E-flite fiberglass EDF applications that fly around 100mph. It's a fair compromise between cost, weight, and torque.

When mounting the servos in the tail, weight is a key issue. The control surface doesn't need much throw so you can take advantage of mechanical gain on the linkage.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:17 PM
maverickma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dupe
Old 03-18-2011, 04:45 PM
maverickma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dupe post
Old 03-18-2011, 04:47 PM
maverickma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Greg, couple questions. Did you have to pretty much re-epoxy every piece of ply and balsa in the fuselage? Mine was put together with some tacky type adhesive from the factory. I can actually pull each piece out. I think this is a good thing so I can line everything up nice and make room for the lipos with no cutting. Looks like the fuselage is mis-shapen in areas too. For example, the sides of the canopy are not flush with the fuselage. Looks like everything can be fixed by pulling it all out, removing the old adhesive and using good stuff and then clamping it all, but wanted to get your take on this. Also. the bottom hatch does not fit. Bottom side of fuse in rear is kind of smooshed, but I think I can fix it.

Is this what I should expect from NP? This is my 1st order from them or does this sound like I should pursue a replacement fuse?? From the pictures, your appears to be in pretty good shape.

Also, mine came with mylar and not a fiberglass thrust tube.

Doug
Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Doug,

My model was actually purchased from General Hobby through Richard Yan on the RCU Marketplace for about $125 plus shipping. It may be that the Nitro Planes version is made from a different factory after the initial batch sold out. I have seen this issue before with my larger Cessna Citation. I would call or e-mail Nitro Planes about your issues because they seem very good at making things right. As for a $100 fiberglass model, you should anticipate some issues but I have only seen them in the support hardware. Overall, my two Starfires were very good quality. I decided I didn't need the second one for spares so I sold it to a friend.

Let us know how you make out...
Old 03-20-2011, 04:05 AM
maverickma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I emailed them and posted in their support forum so we'll see how it goes. I'm not going to return the fuse since I'm not confident the next will be any better. I read another thread where someone else had the same issue, but just sent the whole thing back. I sent and posted pics for them and have asked that they just send another fuse. If they don't, I will deal with it. I have all but one former out of the fuse so I can modify. I think that will be necessary to fit the lipos nicely up front. One problem is removing the tacky adhesive they used. Its really a mess.

Removing the guts also allows me easy access to the inside of the fuse to glass, eopxy, and sand any sloppy glass work. Lemonade from lemons!! Let's just hope they send a replacement.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Greg Covey

Hi Doug,

My model was actually purchased from General Hobby through Richard Yan on the RCU Marketplace for about $125 plus shipping. It may be that the Nitro Planes version is made from a different factory after the initial batch sold out. I have seen this issue before with my larger Cessna Citation. I would call or e-mail Nitro Planes about your issues because they seem very good at making things right. As for a $100 fiberglass model, you should anticipate some issues but I have only seen them in the support hardware. Overall, my two Starfires were very good quality. I decided I didn't need the second one for spares so I sold it to a friend.

Let us know how you make out...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM
maverickma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kudos to Nitroplanes who put a replacement fuse in the mail today. Should be here on Friday. I just hope it has better glue in it this time and that the cuts were made better. The cutouts were poor including the intakes.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doug,

Sounds good. Let us know how the new fuse looks. In general, I check each former on these planes but my Starfires have been assembled well. I will typically add epoxy to key areas on these planes like the DF mounts and battery bay area.

It has been reported that many of these Starfires need extra glue on the gear mounts in the wing so be sure to cut away some of the covering to glue them properly. I haven't started my wings yet because I'm working on some crude intake ducting to improve the air flow. I didn't like the way the air would hit the formers on its way to the DF.

Regards.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 PM
maverickma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will do on the fuse...they said they checked this 2nd one before they sent it out so we'll hope for the best. Agreed on the epoxy, I like to use epoxy with milled fiberglass. Thanks for the tip on the gear mounts Greg. Looks like we can easily get to them from the top of the wing. I bet they will need some extra ply in there since it doesn't appear that there is much supporting the mounts other than 2 ribs from what I can tell. Yo stress that area less. I will either use the same spring gear you are going to use or there is another set from HK that may work....if it ever comes back in stock.

If your ever in the Eastern PA area, let me know. I fly with a club in Hamburg, PA called Farview Flyers. I'm one of the few electric guys. We host some good events including a giant scale event (will have the MX2 ready for that one....with smoke) and a jet event. The jet event is always large turbines...the plan is to step up the build and have it ready for that event in October. Imagine the looks when these turbine guys see the Starfire chasing their plane down. BVM does attend that one as well.

Quote:

Doug,

Sounds good. Let us know how the new fuse looks. In general, I check each former on these planes but my Starfires have been assembled well. I will typically add epoxy to key areas on these planes like the DF mounts and battery bay area.

It has been reported that many of these Starfires need extra glue on the gear mounts in the wing so be sure to cut away some of the covering to glue them properly. I haven't started my wings yet because I'm working on some crude intake ducting to improve the air flow. I didn't like the way the air would hit the formers on its way to the DF.

Regards.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 AM
maverickma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Greg, I think I might go with the Spektrum Super sub-micro digital DSP75 servos. I've never gone digital even in my giant scale stuff, but these are the same size as the S75s you are going with but have a little more torque. Thoughts??

Also, what if you have an issue with the rudder servo? Is there an easy way to access it once the rudder is on?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Doug,

I don't usually venture that far south for my R/C shows but I'll keep it in mind. Some of my buddies go to Titusville, PA to fly their turbines. Oddly, we have our own Hamburg event, south of Buffalo, which is my only paved runway event of the season. I usually save my smaller EDFs for that one and fly the bigger ones off grass. The Starfire should have no problems on grass take-offs.

The Spectrum DSP75 servos should work great! I haven't used them yet but they look like the digital versions of the E-flite S75. I used the S75s because I had a bunch of them lying around. I think everything that I am using on my Starfire has been "pre-enjoyed" except for the struts. The articulated-knee struts will allow for some rough landings on grass.

As for the rudder servo maintenance, if needed, I would cut right around it with a Dremel tool and slide the whole thing out for replacement. Typically, I dork the elevator servos but not the rudder servo.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 PM
maverickma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Heads up that I received fuse #2. Its in worse shape than the 1st. I will just deal with what I have. Just want those to be aware if they are ordering this particular airframe from NP. I still feel that its a pretty good deal for $121....unless I'm off my rocker!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doug,

That's too bad that the batch of Starfires from Nitro Planes appears to be different than the ones from General Hobby. On the positive side, Nitro sent you another one of what they had which is consistent with their good service.

I checked the RCU Marketplace and Richard Yan still sells the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=729786]Starfires here[/link] for about $130.

Check your fuselage with my photos to see how things compare. I would say it is an excellent value to buy a 90mm fiberglass model for only $100, even if the formers are loose. My external finish was very nice so I just have fun with the rest of it.

I'll post some photos of my intake duct mods soon...
Old 03-26-2011, 04:37 AM
maverickma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for your support Greg. Yep, still a good deal. I might leave the formers off in the middle until I figure out CG, and then modify/install them in a better location using them as a battery tray. I ordered the articulated gear from HK. They appear to be very nice..I will just need to drill them out to 4mm to fit on the stock landing wires.

Next time I'll check with you before buying an airframe. You like a lot of the same planes I do...bipes....etc. Will send you a pic of my giant MX2 when complete. Im about 50% done at this point. After maiden flight...will add remotely activated smoke system!! [X(]

Quote:

Doug,

That's too bad that the batch of Starfires from Nitro Planes appears to be different than the ones from General Hobby. On the positive side, Nitro sent you another one of what they had which is consistent with their good service.

I checked the RCU Marketplace and Richard Yan still sells the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=729786]Starfires here[/link] for about $130.

Check your fuselage with my photos to see how things compare. I would say it is an excellent value to buy a 90mm fiberglass model for only $100, even if the formers are loose. My external finish was very nice so I just have fun with the rest of it.

I'll post some photos of my intake duct mods soon...
Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds good, Doug. Can you post a link to the struts you ordered from HK?

I removed the center post of the intake former since I beefed up the surrounding area with angle stock and epoxy. I didn't spend much time smoothing it out but the air is now guided to the center opening instead of hitting the flat former. A little silver paint to cover the wood and some 3M strip tape seemed to match the stock covering well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bz77742.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1584293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52320.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1584294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93137.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1584295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19922.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1584296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35883.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1584297  
Old 03-26-2011, 08:36 AM
maverickma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Struts below.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11300

3m strip tape. Can u send a link to that?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The [link=http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/3m850.aspx]3M Scotchcal[/link] Striping Tape can be purchased at most Automotive detailing stores. I used #73305 silver 3/8" wide tape.

Thanks for the link!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A spare wing spar is supplied to mark the position of the holes for the alignment dowel and holding screw. For some reason, only the main wing tube hole comes pre-drilled. One extra hole needs to be drilled large enough for the aileron servo lead. By using a water-based marker, you can easily wipe off the outlines when finished. Once I had the wing halves fitted to the fuselage, I started working on the gear mains.

I replaced the stock screws that secure the wing to the fuselage with some equivalent metric hex head screws so it is easier to tighten with a small Allen wrench. The wing comes with the wooden alignment dowel and T-nut anchor pre-installed.

When you cut away the covering for the aileron servo plate, it also allows access to the other side of the gear mounting blocks. I added epoxy to both sides of the mount.

I discovered that some very well made struts I bought a few years ago at an R/C auction will work perfectly on the Starfire. The stock wheels spin nicely on the axles and the stock gear wires fit snugly into the strut. The struts are SS-1 OY (Offset Yoke) from Impact Engineering in Arlington Texas. They are meant for 5lb to 8lb planes.

The funny thing is that the guy who sold me the struts is also building a Starfire so I better install them quickly!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ec89818.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1584699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35034.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1584700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46904.jpg
Views:	27