Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rebuild HABU or try something new?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Rebuild HABU or try something new?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 AM
lojik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild HABU or try something new?

Hey guys,

are there any intermediate+ skill level EDF's out there that can take the HABU's power systems without major modification, Willing to look at all options.

I've been flying my HABU now for 6 Months and was thinking of getting another larger EDF for a bit more of a thrill, unfortunately last week I made a fatal error on my HABU and it hit the deck nose first at high speed, lipo caught on fire, ESC damaged (most likely a gonner) main fuse front smashed beyond repair, canopy damaged, wings look ok and tail unit looks ok.

So I have a choice, either rebuild the HABU (about NZ$350 odd including the ESC) or buy a new model and transplant the servo's, fan unit and RX into it.

Would be looking for a model that looks nice scale like or has a "Jet" profile, has good flight characteristics and can of course take the HABU EDF Unit without major modification?

I have been looking at the E-Flite Sabre and it looks like a great model to step up into but was wondering if there are any other models out there I should also look at.

Thanks for your time

Regards
Old 04-05-2011, 12:36 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Default RE: Rebuild HABU or try something new?

I'm flying an E-Flite Sabre and it is a nice step up from the PZ Habu. I put in the 3600Kv motor and it is flying very well. I only get a little over 3 minutes with a 3200 pack, but it's a great 3 minutes!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM
jetjky1

Not sure how fancy you want to get but look at the Sapac Viper.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 PM
lojik

ORIGINAL: TonyF

I'm flying an E-Flite Sabre and it is a nice step up from the PZ Habu. I put in the 3600Kv motor and it is flying very well. I only get a little over 3 minutes with a 3200 pack, but it's a great 3 minutes!
Thanks for the info, I was only getting 3:30 on the HABU to land with a safe % barrier just in case i needed one go around so flight time is not a major concern. Would have thought due to its smooth surfaces and smaller size it would have stretched a little longer though, the reviews I have been reading are saying only 1/2 to 2/3 of a packed used on a 4min flight.

Guess it depends how hard you push the model and what quality packs you use, what are you using?

Another Jet I am looking at is [link=http://www.tufflight.com/tiger.html]http://www.tufflight.com/tiger.html[/link] good price for an ARF, will need a little work but might be a good candidate for a Bungee (I hate hand launching)

The Sapac Viper looks very nice but I hear it is a little bit finicky on weight and you have to run them extremely light to get the best performance out of them, great Jet, I have seen one fly but a little out of my price range as its would be pretty expensive to get one shipped to NZ.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

As I said, I am running the 3600Kv motor, not the 3200Kv that comes with the Habu. Gives more power at the expense of more current draw, so shorter flight time. But it does speed things up! And I don't come off the throttle much.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
lojik

ORIGINAL: TonyF

As I said, I am running the 3600Kv motor, not the 3200Kv that comes with the Habu. Gives more power at the expense of more current draw, so shorter flight time. But it does speed things up! And I don't come off the throttle much.
Ahh kk bro, thanks, wasn't sure what the motor the HABU came with was.

also your running 3200 instead of the 3300, granted its only a drop of 3.125% though.

I'm pretty set on the Sabre, it looks like a nice kit and not a crazy amount of work to get it in the air with what I have.

Of course the other option is to get a new HABU fuse and maybe build it up for a bungee launch and try to get a longer flight time and better flight envelope out of her.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 PM
plane-addict

Someone suggested the Sapac jet, this ViperJet is a little cheaper but very similar, maybe you like it.