Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Finally made the GWS A-10 fly

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Finally made the GWS A-10 fly

Old 08-21-2003, 12:48 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally made the GWS A-10 fly

After having 2 motors come apart in 5 flights, we gave up on the fans. I strapped a stock wingo motor and prop to the back of the A-10 right between the elevators. It is now twice as fast as it was before and has enough power to climb out at 45 degrees.

Our plane had been broke a few times due to various mistakes. The last landing on fan power the fuse snapped in half while making a flat landing in the soft grass. The first flight with the pusher ended up with the same result when the battery shifted on launch. OOPS. then the nose was crushed on a CG glide test. After all that i decided to cut the nacelles completely off to lessen the nose weight needed, and to cut down on drag. A new A-10 built as pusher would probably weigh the same and simply have a tad more drag than my set up.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:34 AM
realflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally made the GWS A-10 fly

Sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with your A10. My son has one and it flies great. We had made several tests to try to improve performance and finally came up with the right combination.

I used a 7 cell, 720 mah niMh with the stock motors and it flew fine - a simple toss (no running) and it flew around fine. I wanted more authority so I took some others advice and added another cell to get so more power - this ended up frying one of the motors. (I know of some using 10 cells - I guess it just depends if you get "good" motors or not). I ended up backing the pack down to 7 cells.

One other upgrade that I would recommend - stop by the local hobby shop (Debbie's RC World) and see Les about the 5 blade impellers - we flew the A10 tonight and it has more authority! This simple upgrade is well worth it. My son does some very cool low passes with the famous A10 bank and yank turn to add to the scale effects. My son (10 yrs old) is also flying choppers and gas ducted fans so although the A10 doesn't compare to performance of his other aircraft, it is still a blast to fly and causes alot of attention at the field (and no mess to clean up ;-)

We will be out at Fentress this weekend - bring your plane out so we can see it fly.

-robert and zak