Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

RE: New Change Sun 70mm 10 blade fans

OK, Heres my C/S 10 blade fans mounted in my Super Airliner ready to go. Hope to get her up in the air this week.

Keep em flying
    raido56/ Herb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf98357.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	1694032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je99360.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	1694033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yd83186.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	1694034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Au56307.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	1694035  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: raido56

OK, Heres my C/S 10 blade fans mounted in my Super Airliner ready to go. Hope to get her up in the air this week.

Keep em flying
    raido56/ Herb
    This is the best use of these fans for me cause with two of them going at least you can hear them.

They're quite, very quite relative to other fans and I like to hear how my jets sound

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keep em flying
    raido56/ Herb

Looks great Herb, good luck, I'm sure it will sound and look great in the air!

I still am looking for the best motor to buy for this fan, using a 2800kv motor and 4s 3300 30c pack with an 80amp ESC I run out of throttle at about 75 percent, but my Venom F-86 flies great at half throttle. My question is, why does my throttle have nothing after 75 percent, what is missing? I'm new to this so I would really appreciate some advice, I don't want to spend a fortune buying motors and batteries to test in this thing. So any advice from real world experience would be great.

Luke
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet"
    --Abraham Lincoln

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Luke,

Did you calibrate your ESC to the Xmeter's Channel 3?
    Gary Taber

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gary41

Luke,

Did you calibrate your ESC to the Xmeter's Channel 3?
    No I did not, what exactly do I need to do? I wanted to order the programming card for my ESC but they are sold out, the beep thing just does not work for me!
    --Abraham Lincoln

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Others may correct me.......but, as I recall:

Throttle full up, turn on transmitter

Apply power to ESC and receiver

ESC will emit a tone

Move throttle to minimum

ESC will emit another tone

Remove power from ESC and receiver

Turn off transmitter

You're done.
    Gary Taber

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Gary, I'll give it a try and see what happens!
    --Abraham Lincoln

ORIGINAL: erh7771

Keep em flying
    raido56/ Herb
    This is the best use of these fans for me cause with two of them going at least you can hear them.

They're quite, very quite relative to other fans and I like to hear how my jets sound
    Hi all, I had her maiden flight on Sat with the C/S 10 blade fans. She took off real nice from our grass field. Full power on take off than down to half power for most of the flight. Rolls, loops even knife edge no problem. She has real good power way better than the 3 or 6 blade stock fans. Ran the motors on 2- 3s 2650 40C packs and getting 4 min on the packs. After I get the retracts in it I will be able to use some 3000 or 3300 packs and get about 4 1/4 to 5 min out of her. I have to say the sound from these fans are better than the stock fans. I don't get the woosh sound like other have gotten in a long ducted jet. I think it's because of the short nacelles and lower RPM's from the 3s packs. But it does look real neat with all them blades in the fan. Had a few flights today also. My buddy took a video of one of her flights today so as soon as I get it from him I'll post it.

Keep em flying
    raido56/ Herb

Hi all, My buddy shot this video of her maiden flight. This flight was on 2-3s 2650 40C packs. I like the take off from grass on the stock wheels. (NOTE) The rate she climbed at after take off I like it for sure .. Plus the winds were about 10 MPH with the stock fans I would not fly her when it was windy as she would get pushed all over the place. With these fans no problem at all. I hope to get a better video this week with my HD cam. After that I will try to get the retracts on her and new paint job sometime later.

Keep em flying
    raido56/ Herb

http://youtu.be/l4b8UtZQ7Qc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Video was hard to watch, seemed jerky, but I could hear the fans. The motors have just as much to do with the sound as the blade count I've found. The motors with the open back are much louder than the ones with an aerodynamic shroud, and yours seem very loud because you have no tail pipe. I know this because I experimented with a few different configurations and the Turnigy motors produced the least noise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75222.gif 
Views:	17 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	1697019  
    --Abraham Lincoln

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Philip Workshop RC sells both the new 70mm and 90mm CS DFs. The 120mm DF should also show up shortly. The registered Air Mail option is very low cost and only takes about a week.
    Visit my Web Hangar at www.gregcovey.com/rc.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi. I'm really excited to get my 70 mm now for my windrider 737-700!! My question for you is what motors do you think would produce the most scale sound and power...in runner or out? If so, what kv would you suggest for a 4s 3850 setup? I have two E-Flight power 15 3600 kv in runners, but I think the amp draw will be far greater than my het 75 amp esc's could handle. I am trying to stay with my 75 amp esc's if I can. The all in weight of the 737 is around 6.5 lbs. I also live in Colorado at an elevation of 5280 ft.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for the great posts.
    Jeff
    Warmin the Globe 2 Turbines at a time!
    Jeff

Quality inrunners will always be superior in sound and efficiency, most outrunners whine when running, and ruin the sound of the fan. A good inrunner in an alloy housing with the 10 blade rotor is still the best sounding setup so far imho.

Oh an no offense Herb but that airliner sounded awful, could hear rubbing at certain points in the rpm range and the fans sound sick, like there is something wrong.

Extreme RC AUSTRALIA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jetjky1

Hi. I'm really excited to get my 70 mm now for my windrider 737-700!! My question for you is what motors do you think would produce the most scale sound and power...in runner or out? If so, what kv would you suggest for a 4s 3850 setup? I have two E-Flight power 15 3600 kv in runners, but I think the amp draw will be far greater than my het 75 amp esc's could handle. I am trying to stay with my 75 amp esc's if I can. The all in weight of the 737 is around 6.5 lbs. I also live in Colorado at an elevation of 5280 ft.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for the great posts.
    Jeff

This is a video of a completely stock ChangeSun 70mm fan and a $13 2800kv outrunner Turnigy motor. Sorry about the wind noise, it was pretty gusty last weekend.

There are some on this site that use it to promote there products and will never give anyone any assistance or any usable information, but from what little I know I would say to go with a lower kv motor for these fans.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlJChzxAn38&context=C38f5b66ADOEgsToPDskJyzUxbsAEIs-4INUN1WjLi[/youtube]
    --Abraham Lincoln

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seems like people are happy with this fan. Not sure why mine does not work well. I have a RC Lander Cougar that has scale intakes, fiberglassed and retracts. It's a little over 4 pounds. I flew it all year with a Jetscreamer/ Wemo setup on 4s. Takes 300 feet or so to get off the ground and flies fairly well once up to speed. This past week, I switched the Wemo out for the CS 10 blade. Watts are about the same as the wemo (1400), but the airplane can not get enough speed to take off. Holding the tail, it's obvious there is no where near the thrust compared to the wemo. Could this fan need more intake than the wemo?

Any opinions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fred what are the kv specs of the motor. You went from what a 3 or 5 blade unit to a 10 so it could be the motor is now the weak point. Not enough grunt to effectively spin the fan or a pack that can't deliver the amps needed.
    If the watts stayed the same, I'd be looking at a motor or pack for a problem. I would think if it was pulling 1400 watts on the lower count fan, it should have gone much higher on a 10 blade.

I would think just like a prop job, the more blades you have the higher the amp draw, and watts produced, if the pack and motor are up to it.

Just for S&G's I used Motocalc and plugged in one of my P-38 specs. Went from a 3 blade to a 10 blade, amps doubled, and watts went up by 50%. Thrust doubled, and prop speed dropped roughly 30%.
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.
    P-38 Lightning Brotherhood #75

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Luke, nice video!

Seems like from what I've been gathering over on RCG, where there is a big thread running on this fan, lower kv units and higher cell counts seem to be the trick.

I'm leaning towards a 2100 kv motor set up, on a twin. Can run it on 4/5/6S set ups, and go from 450 watts per unit to over 1200 with just swapping out pack counts.
    Even at 1200 watts they are only pulling 50 amps.

Funny it's like my old Stryker days, where I used low kv motors on high volts to spin up a big prop fast. Go the best of both worlds that way, had tons of thrust and speed, and low amp draws.
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.
    P-38 Lightning Brotherhood #75

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

Video was hard to watch, seemed jerky, but I could hear the fans. The motors have just as much to do with the sound as the blade count I've found. The motors with the open back are much louder than the ones with an aerodynamic shroud, and yours seem very loud because you have no tail pipe. I know this because I experimented with a few different configurations and the Turnigy motors produced the least noise.
    dionysusbacchus,

I am looking to use 2 of the 10 blades fan, suitable turnigy motor, 70 Amp Turnigy ESC and 2 x 4S batteries for the Settrust A330 2 x 2 meters and 4.5 kgs (which uses 70mm fans). The required thrust is around 1.1/1.2 Kgs per power plant. A little more would not hurt as long as i come up with a reliable setup. Will the recomended turnigy 2855-2100 (450W) or alternatively Turnigy 2855-2800 (631W) be a good choice or do you suggest some other motor.

Thanks much for the help.
    Best regards,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

double post....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Turnigy 2855-2100 is rated at up to 6s, the 2855-2800 is up to 4s, two 3s packs and the 2100kv motor will be more than enough for your requirements in my opinion. I recently converted my ChangeSun 70mm F-86 to a 6s set up using the Turnigy 2100kv motor and it runs great! I will post a video of the flight test as soon as the weather is favorable. At full throttle it stabilizes at 60 amps and 1495 watts. The motor runs smooth and the fan and motor were well balanced right out of the box. I would definitely go with a lower kv motor.

ORIGINAL: extra 300
    ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

dionysusbacchus,

I am looking to use 2 of the 10 blades fan, suitable turnigy motor, 70 Amp Turnigy ESC and 2 x 4S batteries for the Settrust A330 2 x 2 meters and 4.5 kgs (which uses 70mm fans). The required thrust is around 1.1/1.2 Kgs per power plant. A little more would not hurt as long as i come up with a reliable setup. Will the recomended turnigy 2855-2100 (450W) or alternatively Turnigy 2855-2800 (631W) be a good choice or do you suggest some other motor.

Thanks much for the help.
    Best regards,

--Abraham Lincoln

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

The Turnigy 2855-2100 is rated at up to 6s, the 2855-2800 is up to 4s, two 3s packs and the 2100kv motor will be more than enough for your requirements in my opinion. I recently converted my ChangeSun 70mm F-86 to a 6s set up using the Turnigy 2100kv motor and it runs great! I will post a video of the flight test as soon as the weather is favorable. At full throttle it stabilizes at 60 amps and 1495 watts. The motor runs smooth and the fan and motor were well balanced right out of the box. I would definitely go with a lower kv motor.

[quote]ORIGINAL: extra 300
    [quote]ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

dionysusbacchus,

Thanks for your reply. Just to make sure that i understood correctly. you meant to say i can use one 3S battery/fan-motor? What if i go with 4S per setup, will i still be ok?
    On the other hand do you think that following ESC is of good quality to use on my application? :
    TURNIGY TRUST 70A SBEC Brushless Speed Controller

Thanks again for your help

Regards,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was talking about running the batteries in series. I'm not real familiar with twins, but I guess you could run one battery for each motor and have them completely separate. Like I said, on 6s my CS is right around 67amps and settles down to 60amps and 1495 watts. My Turnigy 80amp esc works great with this set up. The 2800kv motor will pull more amps than the 2100kv, and the 2800kv is only good up to 4s. So I would run two 3s packs in series with 2100kv motors, your plane has more than enough room for large packs.

Maybe someone with experience on your particular plane can chime in, you already spent $1500 on a kit, so I would get the 80amp ESC's.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your reply. Just to make sure that i understood correctly. you meant to say i can use one 3S battery/fan-motor? What if i go with 4S per setup, will i still be ok?
    On the other hand do you think that following ESC is of good quality to use on my application? :
    TURNIGY TRUST 70A SBEC Brushless Speed Controller

Thanks again for your help

Regards,
    If you use the 2800kv motors, run them on 4S. If you use one 4S LiPo, it should be at least 5000mAh/40C to power BOTH motors/you could use two 4S3300mAh/40C to power each motor separately, or wire them in parallel (4S6600mAh) to power both motors.

If you use the 2100kv motors, run them on 6S......you could use two 3S4000mAh/40C wired in series to make a 6S4000mAh supply.

I use Exceed-RC 80Amp OPTO ESC's, 4S5000/30-40C, 3100kv E-Flite inrunners (Delta V-15's) in my Windrider 737. Way more than enough power. I know its a bit smaller than yours.

Good luck!
    Gary Taber

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12