Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

BVM F-86 EDF advice

Old 11-28-2011, 04:47 PM
JetRay
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BVM F-86 EDF advice

This is my first time posting and am contemplating EDF.

A couple of years ago I bought a BVM F-86. This is the one piece wing, 60" model. I am thinking that I'll go with a EDF unit. I could go with the BVM unit, but I really would like to go with the Extreme/Dynamax unit. What do you guys think. I spoke with BVM and they recommended their unit because the Extreme unit is larger and they said would not fit. I can understand some modifications, but we are modelers and it seems that would not be too big a challenge.

Any thoughts. How difficult and has anyone done this and how has the performance been. Any pics advice would be appreciated.

Ray
Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 AM
JetRay

Default RE: BVM F-86 EDF advice

Any advice out there.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:41 PM
samdimaio
My Feedback: (106)

The BVM EVF is your best choice. You will have no problems. Like everything else BVM does - the inlet ducting, EVF and thrust tube are all engineered as a system and should be installed and operated as such for optimal performance. BVM's customer service and local reps. are HUGE help when needed. Positive experieince with BVM Electra and F-16 have proven thuis to me. I am not a BVM rep. - just a customer. Not saying other systems wont work but, going with BVM you will be pleased with the results.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:04 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Go with the EVF. The intake area of the BVMF-86 is too small to feed enough air to the Dynamax fan. I built the arf version of this plane a couple of years ago and used the 12 cell version of the EVF. Here's a link to the build thread and there is video of the maiden in the thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9749519

Here's video I took of Chris True's BVMF-86 which is of thevintage of your kit. It is flying with 10 cell EVF. It is quieter than mine. The high pitched fans you here in the video are of smaller edfs flying at the same time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeYPhqRbvsw

The post above makes very good points. You will not get better customer service anywhere else like you will from BVM and BVM's field reps.

Kirk
Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 PM
JetRay

Sam, Kirk,

This is just the info that I am looking for. Thank you guys so much for your input. Looks like I'll be ordering the BVM equipment.

Thanks again,

Ray
Old 11-30-2011, 12:24 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JetRay

This is my first time posting and am contemplating EDF.

A couple of years ago I bought a BVM F-86. This is the one piece wing, 60'' model. I am thinking that I'll go with a EDF unit. I could go with the BVM unit, but I really would like to go with the Extreme/Dynamax unit. What do you guys think. I spoke with BVM and they recommended their unit because the Extreme unit is larger and they said would not fit. I can understand some modifications, but we are modelers and it seems that would not be too big a challenge.

Any thoughts. How difficult and has anyone done this and how has the performance been. Any pics advice would be appreciated.

Ray
Ray,

I don't know anything about the dynamax unit, but, I'm flying BVM fury with an EVF2 12s and it is a great combo. I would not experiment with other fan combinations as it flys beautifully as it is designed.

If you have one of the very old original kits, you might have to reinforce the tail section with CF. Check Chris True's thread on the other site.

Lastly, I have not flown it with a 10S, but I love the power of the 12S. I would go the 12s route, not 10S. (but that's just me and my flying style...I like to combine slow speed with vertical manoeuvres and that takes thrust...).

let us know what you end up doing

Regards
Jack
Old 12-03-2011, 10:09 AM
JetRay

Jack,

Thanks for the advice. I'm including pics of the airframe.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39148.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1694740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15308.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1694741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56802.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1694742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy71592.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1694743  
Old 12-03-2011, 11:38 PM
JackD

looks great!!!

Love the weathering on the intake.

Any decisions on the EDF system?

You are going to love this plane
Old 12-04-2011, 05:49 AM
k_sonn

Ray, your F-86 looks great.  I'd like to pass on some tips that were given to me by a BVM field rep (Dan Avilla).  Due to the narrow tracking of the gear, the F-86 can get into a "wingtip dance" (wobbles from side-to-side) causing the wing tips to scrape the runway.  To minimize this, set your steering up so that at full throw it will do about a 30 foot circle and assign the brakes to a slider switch or knob instead of the down elevator.  I had my brakes set up so they would activate with down elevator.  This caused a downward force on the nose gear inducing the wing tip dance.  BVM also sells wingtip skids that will help protect your tips.

Jack is right, this is a very sweet flying plane.

Kirk
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM
JetRay

Jack, Kirk,

Thanks, I really like this plane too.

I'm thinking about the 10s system for now but that may change. I'll probably wait until the holidays are over before deciding/ordering.

Usually with any of my planes with tricycle gear, I usually do a dual rate for steering. High rate for taxing/pit/ground handling and low rates (small throw) for takeoff and landing.

With the EDF, do you think that I'll still need brakes.

Thanks again guys,

R.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 PM
JackD

I would definitely put brakes for 2 reasons

1) With those wheels, the plane will roll for ever
2) You should stop your plane before turning, otherwise, like kirk mentioned, it will scrape the wingtips.

Regarding groundhandling, which is probably the only negative side of an F86, there are 2 things I would recommend (besides Kirk's). 1) put a nose wheel gyro to help on the take off run, and 2) after landing, fly the ailerons even on the ground. That's specially true on crosswind.

other than that, sweet plane.

on the 10 vs 12s: I would go 12. It is not a lot more weight, and you will never regret it. On 10, it will be always a "what if". I know it is more money, but ask BVM if they have some EVF 2 on sale (they just sold one they had in their bargain corner... ask them just in case)

Just my opinion. Kirk, did you fly yours on 10 or 12? what is your impression?

Good luck
Jack

Old 12-04-2011, 09:26 PM
k_sonn

Jack, I flew mine on 12 cells.  The fan was the older EVF 5612.  Up until I saw Chris True's 10 cell F-86, I would have said a 12 cell but Chris' F-86 is very light at 14 pounds with batteries.  He's using the EVF 4010 which is the first version of the EVF.  I believe Ray's F-86 is the same vintage as Chris' so if Ray's can come in at 14 pounds, I would recommend the 10 cell EVF but if it weighs more, then definately the 12 cell EVF would be the way to go.

Kirk
Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 AM
JackD

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

Jack, I flew mine on 12 cells. The fan was the older EVF 5612. Up until I saw Chris True's 10 cell F-86, I would have said a 12 cell but Chris' F-86 is very light at 14 pounds with batteries. He's using the EVF 4010 which is the first version of the EVF. I believe Ray's F-86 is the same vintage as Chris' so if Ray's can come in at 14 pounds, I would recommend the 10 cell EVF but if it weighs more, then definately the 12 cell EVF would be the way to go.

Kirk

That´s interesting. If it works well on 10, then you are simplifying the system significantly, since charging 10 cells is much simpler. You can go with a cellpro 10 (cheaper) or go with a cellpro 8 and charge under 20 minutes

With the new chargers and batts, you can almost get away with one battery set, specially if you bring other stuff to the field

THis is getting more fun every day!!!!

Old 12-11-2011, 04:43 PM
JetRay

I really appreciate all the advice guys.

I'll really look at the 12S system. I'll keep everyone posted as to my choice

There's one more question I just remembered to ask. I have heard that the F-86 would probably do better if the retracts were converted from servo operation to air cylinders. Any thoughts on that.

Thanks.

R.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 PM
k_sonn

Ray, I'm partial to air retracts and have never used servo operated retracts.  Jack may be able to give you better advice on this.

Kirk
Old 12-11-2011, 06:34 PM
JackD

If your retracts are installed and working, them leave them alone... But if you need to redo them for some reason, i would go air.

My dad had a F86 on mechanical retracts back during the DF days and it was really hard to get to work correctly. Specially the door mechanism. He ended up converting to air as soon as BV developed the system.

Try to see how it works... and if you don't like it, make it air. it is really simple that way

good luck
Jack
Old 12-11-2011, 07:34 PM
JetRay

Kirk, Jack,

Again, good advice. I will do that.

Let you know on the progress.

R.