Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Vibration? How much is too much?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Vibration? How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:59 PM
FlyCorsair
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration? How much is too much?

Considering we are running mechanical parts and anything moving will have a certain amount of vibration...........
The question is how much vibration is acceptable?
I'm asking about the EDF unit.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Vibration? How much is too much?

As in anything that rotates, especially at the speeds an EDF spins, the less the better.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:52 AM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed - the less the better.
Out of balance forces causes things to flex and this requires energy to do, so less vibration actually improves performance.

It is possible to accommodate a degree of out of balance by using flexible mountings (like a washing machine drum!) but its a bit difficult to do this sort of thing on a close fitting ducted fan.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 PM
FlyCorsair

I understand "the less is better". The thing is, how do you know when you have reached that point? Assuming a certain amount of vibration is acceptable, what do you do to achieve that and how do you know when you're there.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Without some rather sophisticated measuring equipment the answer is experience.
When you come across a really well balanced EDF unit you will know and that then sets the benchmark you try to achieve.

One simple test for smaller EDFs is to run it up holding it in your hands (being careful) and then do the same but holding it lightly against say your building board.
Your hands will tend to dampen any vibration but a hard surface will act as a sounding board.
If there is little difference in the total level of noise then it is likely pretty well balanced.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

I would HIGHLY NOT RECOMMEND holding an EDF unit in your hand! There is a thread on RCG about an EDF that let go on a stand, a piece of it went through a pair of safety glasses and cut the gentleman's eye in 3 pieces!!!

And EDF needs to be balanced statically and dynamically. And not just the fan, the spinner and adapter also, and don't forget the motor itself.

Here is a great system for doing the dynamic balance, after static balancing with a cell phone and your PC. Sergey knows his stuff.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+balancing+edf
Old 12-22-2011, 04:54 PM
FlyCorsair

Thanks for all the help guys!!
One more question............My fan is running very smooth throughout the throttle range, except at low RPM there is some vibration. This is a 70mm Haoye EDF.
2700 Kv motor and 4 cell Battery.
Any suggestions?

Old 12-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Bill G

The last time I accepted a slight harmonic at one specific speed, it cost me a nice front end rebuild of what is now my favorite scratch build jet, after the 3rd flight. The fan exploded, and I assume there was a voltage drop on lockout, which caused the elevator to slam down. It does get old spending 3 hours or more, experimenting with trial tape weight, but I do it now. Interestingly, I've found many problems can be corrected by simply changing the position of the rotor, adapter, and motor rotor, all relative to each other. The have all proven to have some eccentricities in my experiences. I used the method Eflite 15 that is probably the smoothest running fan that I have. Before finding the "happy position" of the adapter and rotor, it was probably one of the roughest sounding fans I've ever heard. They really need to state this in bold in their manuals, and stop stating that they are factory balanced. I've proven this it to not be 100% correct, as there does need to be some trial and error with the positioning of the parts. Microfan gurus have known this trick for ages.

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

I would HIGHLY NOT RECOMMEND holding an EDF unit in your hand! There is a thread on RCG about an EDF that let go on a stand, a piece of it went through a pair of safety glasses and cut the gentleman's eye in 3 pieces!!!

And EDF needs to be balanced statically and dynamically. And not just the fan, the spinner and adapter also, and don't forget the motor itself.

Here is a great system for doing the dynamic balance, after static balancing with a cell phone and your PC. Sergey knows his stuff.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+balancing+edf
That's pretty scary. I started wearing a pair of really thick lensed safety glasses with the side protectors, when testing fans. Seems it's still not always good enough. I hope that the glasses saved his sight, at least, even though they failed?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13451.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1704877  
Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 AM
FlyCorsair

Thanks, guys.........................
Still working on it.