Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Need Help - Can't Find Right Motor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Need Help - Can't Find Right Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:04 AM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - Can't Find Right Motor

I'm a newbie EDF guy ( been flying turbines for 10+ years ) and recently bought a Venom F-86 70mm EDF. It was pretty doggy (actually very doggy) so on advice from Big Luke, I upgraded the fan to a Changesun 10 blade unit and installed the Turnigy L2855 - 2800 motor. Burned out this motor right away. Then I upgraded the battery to a Turnigy 6 cell 22.2 volt, 4000 ma. The ESC I'm using is a Turnigy 80 amp. Then installed a Turnigy L2855 - 2100 motor. This burned out 2 minutes into the first flight. Okay, then decided to spend a little more money and bought from X-Flight a Cyclone CS480-2500KV motor for $43.00. Well, this motor powered the Sabre beautifully for the first flight. However, less than 1 minute into the second flight, I burned out this motor.

Can't continue to spend $40+ for a 2 minute flight.

So, all you EDF guys with experience, please help a newbie find the right motor for this combination:
Turnigy 22.2 volt battery, 4000 ma
Turnigy 80 amp ESC
Changesun 70 mm fan, 10 blade

Thanks in advance for any and all comments, even off color as they're probably deserved for upgrading this airplane to the 6 cell battery.

Rob
F15driver

Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 AM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Help - Can't Find Right Motor

Run a bigger speed control maybe 120 amp no less and it should be okay you could even go 150amp and that would do it. The ten blade fan is a big load on that set up thats why you keep buring stuff up the motor you might what to come down on the KV to you can do one or the other I am sure some other guys will tell witch is best way to go. That is my two cents and I hope you get it going. the F86 is a beautiful bird and fun to fly good luck.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM
harralk
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Help - Can't Find Right Motor

By my calculations, you should be running a motor with a Kv rating of no more than 2000 with a 6S battery at full power.  2500Kv is too high for that fan at full speed.  You could try limiting the throttle to about 80% with the CS480-2500Kv motor, but I don't know how much power you'd get at that point.

The problem that I see is you have a 10-blade EDF which while great in theory, requires one hell of a motor to run up to full speed (45,000 rpm as rated by the manufacturer). 

If the motor is burning up, but not the esc I would say the esc isn't being overloaded. 

Also, forgive me if it's an obvious question, but what timing is your esc set to?  I assume you already set it to high, but maybe double check?