Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New to flying - I bought two new jets

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

New to flying - I bought two new jets

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Turbobearcat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to flying - I bought two new jets

Well after breaking into flying RC Aircraft- my first plane a Albatross microflyer (love this plane and easy to fly)

I decided to take a step up and out with something bigger...MUCH BIGGER. :-)

I was lucky enough to find two Jets..

GWS ME-262 which needs to be built.
Phase 3 U-2 which has everything except the receiver - still needs assembly.

Both are foam planes but I have questions

1. I have NEVER built plane before - so what glue do you use?
2. Never PAINTED a plane before - what paint can I use?

The U2 is basically a powered glider so I should do well with it - I don't plan on flying the Me-262 until next year - I need more time behind the stick first. (and the fact I have to buy almost everything for this kit)

upgrades that might need to be done or are they fine with the equipment that comes with them?

Mark
Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Turbobearcat

Default RE: New to flying - I bought two new jets

Also if anybody lives near Lebanon Ohio- please let me know as I might need tips and the help...

Thanks

Mark
Old 09-26-2012, 06:44 AM
rszanti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchased a ARF Phase 3 U-2 from Hobby People. Put it together without too much trouble.

To answer your questions, use a latex or an acrylic painton foamies. Solvents are always a problem for foam so dope or enamels, etc are a no-no. For the adhesive you can use a foam safe CA or a wood glue such as Gorilla, Titebond, Carpentersor Elmers. I didn't need to use any glue on the U-2, the sticky tape worked fine. I also don't know of any upgrades either available or needed for this plane.

I still need to get a battery so a flight might be a bit off (depending on weather also, I'm in Cincinnati area). I'm using a specktrum2.4gHz for my radio.

I am having a problem removing the canopy. It's supposed to be attached magnitically but I can't get it to release - don't know where the mags are so I don't know where to pry without causing damage. Have you removed yours yet ?

Richard

Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 AM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rszanti

I am having a problem removing the canopy. It's supposed to be attached magnitically but I can't get it to release - don't know where the mags are so I don't know where to pry without causing damage. Have you removed yours yet ?

Richard
Canopy magnets are on the lower sides of the canopy....they're pretty strong. Once canopy is off, you can put a small piece of clear tape, affixed from the inside over the magnets...leave a little hanging out and fold it over on its self to form a small tab to assist in lifting it off, next time.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Turbobearcat

Richard

I'm in Lebanon Ohio North of Cincy

I'm going to pick up my U2 today and see about flying it today if all possible. might paint it later this weekend but I will play around with it first.

more later.
Mark
Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Turbobearcat

UPDATE 12 days later:

The U2 I ordered the box clearly said came with ESC and battery - but what I did not see was a label at the end of the box that said "KIT VERSION"

I was pissed after I got home- ran me $130 when you can buy the kit version for $60!!!!! So i called my Hobby shop and talked to the owner who ordered me the ARF version
with everything - the other box was clearly mark as Almost ready to fly- just add Tx and go... Nope....going on 11 days since it was ordered now and I hope it's here soon before the weather here in Cincy gets too cold to fly!