Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Formost 160 EDF powerplant

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Formost 160 EDF powerplant

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:47 AM
308jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formost 160 EDF powerplant

Morning all,

I was in the attic yesterday going through my boneyard when I came across an EDF jet I believe is a Formost 160 that I got in a swap. As far as I can tell it is the first version of this jet. It seems to be in good shape but the power unit is damaged and needs replacement. I think I'd like to get it going and appreciate advice on a decent power system for it including all the components, fan, motor, esc, batteries and so on. I don't want to take out a second mortgage but don't want junk either, just something I can take out and fly from time to time. All input is appreciated. Thanks.

Rick H.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Extreme_RC

A lot of readers likely wont know what size or setup the model is, would be good if you could post up the details and specs, photos etc, what size fan was it built for etc etc.. Is it the twin boom model around 2 metres wingspan?
Old 04-26-2015, 04:22 PM
308jockey

Yeah I guess it is a bit older in terms of EDF aircraft. I'll go back up tomorrow and do some measuring, see what I can add in terms of size and info on the fan unit that is in it. It is the twin boom plane, 2 meter span sounds about right but I'll get a tape out and make sure. Photos too.

Rick H.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 AM
308jockey

OK here are some photos of the plane. It is right at 2m in span, not sure on length but you can see it. I couldn't get the power unit out (forgot to take a ball driver upstairs), but here it is. The impeller is just under 4.5" (didn't have a metric stick) in diameter. I am wanting to replace the whole unit with something newer, better and more efficient. I'd prefer not to spend a crazy amount of money on it. This will be for casual flying generally from a low cut grass runway. I have retracts for it. I'd also appreciate reccomendations for batteries and esc. I'm guessing it will require at least 2 packs to fly, 8c or 10c, maybe 8k mah total? New territory for me here, all help is appreciated.

Rick H.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5032.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	2092836   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5039.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	2092837  
Old 04-28-2015, 04:25 PM
Extreme_RC

Its likely a Chinese Haoye 114mm fan, or a Lander fan (really heavy) how many blades? 5, 7, more?
If you want the most affordable hi performance fan for the model then our EXTREME ALLOY 127mm fan cannot be beaten, on 12 cells you can make 8kg of thrust with strong batteries. A true 5 inch fan, CNC machined housing with Australian made Ramtec 11 blade rotor and the big HET 800 series motor. Right now with the strong USD the price comes in just over 400 bucks for you guys. On 12 cells we run the Platinum PRO 120A esc with heatsink in the inlet airflow, very tough ESC.

For batteries I would look for 8000mah 30c to 45c rated, something decent quality, this will give you good flight times and not be too heavy.

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...oducts_id=1218

The fan will run up to 14 cells no problem just an ESC change is needed, a lot of guys are flying 1.8m span twin boom sports models with the 12 cell setup. Does the model have a cheater hole somewhere in the intake area? The intake ducts are quite small and you will likely need to change them or create a cheater to feed the fan. You will also need to make an inlet lip for the fan or you could order one from "Air Sally" on the other forum. I have a spare one that's a little warped but could be used with some filling and reshaping, certainly a lot easier than starting from scratch.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:27 PM
308jockey

It's not a heavy fan unit, lightweight aluminum it feels like. The impeller has nine blades. Lots of good information there.I'd prefer to get something good and buy it once. The unit that came with it doesn't feel or look like the quality I usually look for. Let me do some research on the plane itself and make sure it's worth doing. I don't see a turbine in my future but this looks like a lot of fun for not nearly as much cash outlay. Thanks.

Rick H.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Extreme_RC

Yeah housing is alloy, you can see that, sand blasted surface like Lander, or cast, weigh it and let us know, and some pics of the front of the fan should help identify what it is. Likely you can sell it off to help fund the project, lots of guys out there like to buy these Chinese fans to fiddle around with.