Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Super Scorpion 90mm EDF

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Super Scorpion 90mm EDF

Old 12-12-2017, 07:24 PM
HunkaJunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Scorpion 90mm EDF

I have a Super Scorpion 90mm EDF jet, that I have about 2 dozen flights on now. It flies good, but I am annoyed by the short 3 minute flights. I can stretch it 4 minutes with thoughtful throttle management, and no spare electrons for a go-round, but it's not as fun. I am using Pulse 6S 5000 45C packs.

Anyone else have this plane? What battery are you using?
Old 12-12-2017, 11:12 PM
HunkaJunk

While I'm at it, there are a couple things to be careful of on this plane. With my battery all the way forward, there is not a lot of weight on the nose gear. This can cause the plane to bounce on the takeoff run if you hit a bump right, this happened to me on the 4th flight and I wound up putting the plane upside down on the runway, it survived, but it's not quite as pretty as it was.

It is also touchy on landings, you don't want to plop this thing down on the runway or it will bounce like a happy puppy all the way down the runway. I have had good luck with a flatter approach on final with flaps on and mild flare for touchdown, it has a fairly long roll out.

I also have triple rates on the rudder control, max rate is for taxiing the plane, I flip it to high rates fore takeoff, flight, and landing, and flip it to max rates during the roll out. I don't even use low rates anymore. I have thought about putting the nose gear steering servo on a separate channel by itself, but haven't done it yet.

The plane had major ballooning when flaps are deployed in flight, I set the model up with 3 flight modes and an independent elevator trim for each flight mode (flaps up, 1/3 flaps, and full flaps). The elevator is trimmed in each flight mode.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 12-12-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:37 AM
jet-lover

I sold mine for this reason and purchased a Freeeing Avanti.

With a 6S 6200 battery I can fly reasonably hard for 5 minutes and land with 33% battery remaining.