Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Any info about SAPAC jets

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Any info about SAPAC jets

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:03 AM
jdhughen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any info about SAPAC jets

My RC hobby has been on hold for a few years but the kids are off to college and I'm semi retired so getting back into it. I've got 6 "still in the box" build projects that I've had on ice for 10+ years. 2 are SAPAC Jets. I have a 70mm L-39 and a 70mm T-45, complete with oleo struts, both new still in the box. Thru my research it appears SAPAC went out of business a few years back. Does anyone here know if any other company picked up their line of DF Jets or what happened to them ? Any info appreciated. Thanks
Joel
Old 11-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Under surgery knife and lot of mods.

My catapult system.

Next to 70mm Alfa jet.
Just about finished with Sapac model I managed to buy from a S/H junk shop, I have upgraded lot of things in it, still waiting for few bits to decide which power set up I'll install. Making it as a catapult launcher instead of l/gear. Came up quite nice after my colour scheme and touch of 24kt gold leaf.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:27 PM
Extreme_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhughen
My RC hobby has been on hold for a few years but the kids are off to college and I'm semi retired so getting back into it. I've got 6 "still in the box" build projects that I've had on ice for 10+ years. 2 are SAPAC Jets. I have a 70mm L-39 and a 70mm T-45, complete with oleo struts, both new still in the box. Thru my research it appears SAPAC went out of business a few years back. Does anyone here know if any other company picked up their line of DF Jets or what happened to them ? Any info appreciated. Thanks
Joel
NOt sure if you got any info but will try to help out.
Sapac did close up, afaik the kits were never taken on by anyone else. I built the Hawk in the electric blue and silver, had customers build the L39. The Hawk flew well with a strong 70mm wemo fan on 4 cells, it would also do well on a 6s fan with lower amp draw and smaller pack. Really depends on your batteries on hand and/or how you want to set them up. Sapacs own little 65MGBB servos were great in the jets, no chance of getting them now so go with hitec HS65 carbonite and MG. About the only things that will fit in the premade spots.
The Hawk with 4000mah 4s pack, retracts and 70mm wemo came in around 1900 grams, had 2kg thrust, it flew nice but its heavy for the size so you need to be careful landing. Likely you will have a sealed runway which makes all the difference, we only have grass at most clubs.

If you want any help with setup, wemo fan combos etc we have them all at:
www.extremerc.com.au
Old 05-16-2019, 05:22 AM
jdhughen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I bought a couple of Hoffman Storm70HW's before they went under a while back. I plan to use those in the Hawk and L-39. I''ve got a set of the scissor retracks from Sapac that I'm converting to electric. Thanks for the tip on the servos. I hope to start on the Hawk later this summer and the L-39 over the winter. I'll update this thread with progress. I haven't picked batts and ESC pairing yet. need to research since Batts and ESCs have changed a lot since I bought these kits.

thanks
Joel
Old 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Joseph Frost

Joel, you'll find both "Hawk and Let" great fliers if set up correctly and naturally, not too heavy. I have been flying both over the years only on 3S power, "light wing loaded park fliers", but after upgraded to 4S makes them lot livelier, enjoy.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 PM
Extreme_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhughen
Thanks for the reply. I bought a couple of Hoffman Storm70HW's before they went under a while back. I plan to use those in the Hawk and L-39. I''ve got a set of the scissor retracks from Sapac that I'm converting to electric. Thanks for the tip on the servos. I hope to start on the Hawk later this summer and the L-39 over the winter. I'll update this thread with progress. I haven't picked batts and ESC pairing yet. need to research since Batts and ESCs have changed a lot since I bought these kits.
thanks
Joel
You do have the composite SAPAC kits as shown in my pic right Joel? Ignore the other post about 3s, no way you are flying these things on 3s!
The Hoffman fans were amp hogs, so you might want to test them on the bench first to see what they are pulling before you commit to using them. The Storm 70mm was 228 grams, needed 125A on 4s I believe to get 2kg thrust. The Wemotec EVO with HET 1W35 is 187 grams, needs 100A on 4s to make 2jg thrust. Have a read of this thread.
You might find you are better off selling the Hoffman fans for the claimed rather than real performance, and use the funds to get German wemos which are much more efficient and sound better too with their 9 blade rotors.

Wemo combos I would suggest HERE and HERE. 4s and 6s versions, what you choose will depend on what batteries you decide to buy, the 4s setups will need quality 4s4000-5000mah 45c minimum, the 6s setups will get away with 6s2600-3200mah 45c. Bear in mind the fan prices in the above links are NOT USD The 4s fan combo is around USD$140.00 when converted, that's a dynamically balanced ready to install fan. We ship a lot of these to the USA and EU.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:28 PM
Joseph Frost

At my favored flying site.

She is quick for a little piddle.

Typical Euro nose up.
My highly modified "EURO" Sapac on the regular beach day out. She is pretty lively on 4S with modified 70mm plant. My intention was to catapult launch it off the grass but found it's so much nicer to fly it off the smooth beach sand at low tides with my simple fixed gear.