Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

FLYFLY F86 SABRE

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:13 PM
whissel_blowa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLYFLY F86 SABRE

Here is our test model Sabre, running wemotec Midifan rotor in stock housing, HYK3670 inrunner motor, LIGHTNING 60A esc, 4000mah 6s1p 25c batteries.

Airframe has 3/4oz glass cloth all over with polyurethane, wings have 0.5mm thick carbon fibre strip braces through each side and across the centre.

Stock retracts that have been stripped and adjusted for smooth operation, front strut replaced with a mains strut so a larger scale wheel can be fitted, rear struts have new insert shafts machined up to take the 2.5" scale wheels. Airvalve replaced with a machined alloy one, the only real weak link in the stock retracts is the airvalve, the plastic body causes jamming and poor operation.

Power is around 1100-1150 watts and it flies really scale like, I love it!

VIDEO HERE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgxY...Sabre_90mm.htm

For Aussies reading who are interested in the Sabre, Mirage2000 or Hawk check them out here:
www.extremerc.com.au
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76565.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	938472  
Old 04-27-2008, 09:18 PM
CarreraGTSCS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: FLYFLY F86 SABRE

That flies great and really sounds great too. Rock steady in the air. How much expo did you dial in?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:36 AM
whissel_blowa

No expo, just set the throws so it rolls slightly quicker than scale at full throw, and set as much elevator in as I could, control movement is pretty mild, about half an inch each way on the elevator.
Never had expo when I first started flying and try not to use it [)]
Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extreme - I hope mine is delivered next week ... how does she fly? I saw the Fly Fly video and I felt that she seems light, a little too light for my liking so its got potential to carry bigger packs. I will be using the Wemotec fan, a DualSky 60A ESC and motor not too sure yet, I have a 2,000 KV one as I think it should be ok for a 5S set up. Slightly hot but probably fine ...
Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 AM
whissel_blowa

What sort of motor you got Tianci? The HET 600-32 is a 2000kv motor and does really well on 5 cells in the midifan. Puts out almost the same RPM as our 6 cell setup, albeit at 58-60 amps instead of 48-50.

The MEGA 22-30-2 is very similar at 1770Kv, bench testing gave me almost the same figures. The HET is a copy of the MEGA when you compare them side by side.

If you can get around 31K rpm inside the fuselage and sustain it then you will end up with a nice flying plane, very much like mine. I have run the HET & MEGA on 6s and they both run around 1400-1500 watts at 70 amps, I need to get some new RPM figures for this power level as my last tests were in very dull light.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 PM
papajeff

Extreme,

Beautiful job on your F-86. By any chance, did you do any build photos and do you have any
tips regarding your build. Nice video and CarreraGT is correct the EDF sound is super!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:51 PM
NJBuis

Dear All,

I do like the FlyFly Sabre, but what I do not like is the extreme power set up. The specified 4S, 5S and up Lipo's with a B36 motor is all a bit too much for me.
Now, I was wondering whether it would be possible to make a 'light' version, w/o the retracts and all that comes with it. This ideally would go with my 3S 3600mAh 20C Lipo pack, now doing wonders with my Kyosho T33.

Any suggestions?

regards

Nico Buis.
The Netherlands

Old 06-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Larry3215
My Feedback: (2)

I dont think a single 3S pack is going to do the job no mater what you leave off. No way you'll get it THAT light

Even if you did - it wouldnt balance without addinbg back in a good bit of weight in the nose, which kind of kills the light part.

One guy did it as a slope soarer and had to add in substaintial nose weight even with no motor or fan.

Larry
Old 06-12-2008, 09:29 PM
tIANci

I just picked mine up 2 days ago ... yeah she is big and fat, 3S is a no no, not even 4S. I am trying for a 5S set up for scale flying, no high speed passes, just cruising around. I hope it works, 6S is a much better way to go.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:13 PM
F-16 Skywalker

I agree, this fan sounds killer. minus the high pitch wine it has a little bit of a turbine sound.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
tIANci

ORIGINAL: extreme_rc

What sort of motor you got Tianci? The HET 600-32 is a 2000kv motor and does really well on 5 cells in the midifan. Puts out almost the same RPM as our 6 cell setup, albeit at 58-60 amps instead of 48-50.

The MEGA 22-30-2 is very similar at 1770Kv, bench testing gave me almost the same figures. The HET is a copy of the MEGA when you compare them side by side.

If you can get around 31K rpm inside the fuselage and sustain it then you will end up with a nice flying plane, very much like mine. I have run the HET & MEGA on 6s and they both run around 1400-1500 watts at 70 amps, I need to get some new RPM figures for this power level as my last tests were in very dull light.
I got a China made 56mm motor that is about 2,000KV ... will try it and see if not good then I shall go with the HET as recommended! Thanks!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:32 PM
heychas
My Feedback: (38)

ORIGINAL: tIANci

I got a China made 56mm motor that is about 2,000KV ... will try it and see if not good then I shall go with the HET as recommended! Thanks!
Hi tIANci et al.,

Have you had a chance to check your China made motor? If so, how does it work?

I have a couple more questions if anyone has some thoughts on these?

1) Does anyone know if the "servoless" retract will fit and work in this plane? I've seen it sold at several places (http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=525). Watching the video of the flyfly air system retracts makes it appear cumbersome. I would prefer not having to bring a bicycle pump to the field, as well.

2) It sounds like the HET Typhoon 600-32 will work w/ either 5s or 6s batteries. What would be the difference? Would the 6s provide stronger performance... is that the only difference?

Thanks so much to Extreme RC for all of his work and information on this plane. It really looks like a great set-up. I hope to build one out this fall.

Thanks for anyone's comments, thoughts, or updates on their experience,

Charlie
Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 AM
tIANci

Charlie ... not started on the project yet, maybe this weekend I will test it out on the fan to see how many amps being pulled. Also, I would not be keen to touch the servoless retracts because I got a set for my pal and he installed it on the SAPAC T45 f/glass version. It broke on a hard landing and there is no replacement parts.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 PM
heychas

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Charlie ... not started on the project yet, maybe this weekend I will test it out on the fan to see how many amps being pulled. Also, I would not be keen to touch the servoless retracts because I got a set for my pal and he installed it on the SAPAC T45 f/glass version. It broke on a hard landing and there is no replacement parts.
Hi tIANci,

Thanks for the info! I thought perhaps your pal had the retracts before they came out w/ the new stronger upgrade. I posed this question to the Electronic Jet Factory in Tuscon, AZ (US), and they agreed w/ your friend's experience. The advised against the servoless retracts, and recommended the HET mini CNC 3 gear air retract system (http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=577) for the Sabre. I'm disappointed the servoless retracts won't work, but I'm thankful you stopped me before I purchased them!

I'd appreciate hearing about any build or power system tips you have as you go along. I probably won't start until October... I'm working on an eflite F-15 edf project that I hope to finish in the next week or two.

I hope things are well in Malaysia! I had the opportunity to visit the w/ Malaysian air force in Penang several years ago. I really enjoyed the trip!

Charlie
Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 PM
tIANci

Charlie ... I may start my build soon as I have a little EDF gathering with the Singaporean EDF guys in mid Oct, those guys have nice HET twin planes etc. In Malaysia EDF is slow, I am about the only one who is active in EDF and even then I have yet to really get into 90mm and 120mm fans. So for the gathering I need to ensure that I have a decent plane to show! My Sabre will be using the stock air retracts but with a branded air valve, I hear the stock one is not all that great.

My hometown is in Penang but I work in the capital now. The airforce base in on the mainland of Penang. It is near the law firm that I had. So you must have seen the F18s kept there. The air forced celebrated its 50th Anniversary earlier this year and I went for the simple airshow they put up. F18, MIG 29 and SU30! Man ... the MIG29 is sooooo small compared with the F18 and SU30. The F18 is not that big either. I tell you the SU30 can out turn and out dog fight the F18 for sure. He was 'prop hanging'!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
heychas

Hi tIANci,

I'm sorry I missed the airshow... it sounds great. I've never seen a SU-30 up close. I know the F/A-18 can fly super slow hanging on the blades, so I'm amazed the SU-30 can fly slower and out turn the hornet. It sounds very impressive! I was in Penang around 1994, and I believe your air force was still in the process of purchasing their hornets. I can't remember what they were flying then.

I hope you can get your sabre complete before the Singapore gathering in October! It seems the edfs are still new to many places. I don't know of anyone flying edfs at the two clubs near me in central Virginia. My wife has me on a strict RC budget :-) so I'm beginning to pull the pieces together for mine. I recently got everything for my E-flite F-15, and just started getting stuff for the F-86 (i.e., HET 600-32).

Keep us updated w/ your progress!

Charlie
Old 12-28-2018, 04:12 PM
paulemv
My Feedback: (23)

Gentlemen, what is a good starting point for the C/G? I don't have the book, so I'm at your mercy I have a 6 cell 5000 set up Fanjet USA 90mm EDF 12 bladed ........

It is set up- to run on a 125 amp ESC. I thru the included retracts in the garbage....... I then mounted a set form Motion RC F4 Phantom. a real nice set! and they work every

time If you have the knowledge to help, Please do.......Thank You Paul VanDenburgh

Clam Winds ~ Sunny skys ~ Happy landings