Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

ESC settings for EDF jets?

Old 05-04-2019, 12:08 AM
MurrayD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ESC settings for EDF jets?

I have an original eflight smaller grey foam Habu with the standard ducted fan. The ESC has been cooked by the previous owner. I have bought a 90 Amp Castle creations Talon ESC. ( I know it only needs a 60 amp) Setup is 6s. What mhz and timing settings are required? I gather they are not the default settings as the ESC gets hot quickly! Thanks for your help! Regards Murray
Old 05-04-2019, 12:10 AM
MurrayD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry its 4s not 6s
Old 05-16-2019, 04:39 AM
Extreme_RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Timing should be low, or if it has actual degrees settings 3-5 degrees will be safe enough. PWM is only useful up to 12khz for most motors as 99% of the motors we use are iron core, raising PWM will not increase performance, only make the ESC run hotter. Make sure the brake is off, set your cutoff voltage to 3.3v minium per cell. 3.4v is better with many of todays hi power lipos.
ESC can be 120A it wont matter if it has no airflow, it will still be susceptible to overheating. Make sure you have airflow over the heatsink.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:45 PM
Joseph Frost

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by MurrayD View Post
I have an original eflight smaller grey foam Habu with the standard ducted fan. The ESC has been cooked by the previous owner. I have bought a 90 Amp Castle creations Talon ESC. ( I know it only needs a 60 amp) Setup is 6s. What mhz and timing settings are required? I gather they are not the default settings as the ESC gets hot quickly! Thanks for your help! Regards Murray
On the long term you are better off setting the timing and frequency low, remove as much of plastic covering as you can from the unit for better heat displacement, I often ad extra cooling plates (heat sink) to my ESCs for long life. Easy fix.
I have lot of fun with my Eflite "Habu", rather heavy model but moves nicely after lot of mods. (pics)

Got this one fully set up for a song, 200 bux OZ.

Perfect strip.

Caught in action.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:02 PM
Extreme_RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't just set everything to low, ESC's do not work that way, they are trapezoidal wave generators, that is they control the motor with frequency. If you want to work out your PWM accurately, multiply the number of poles of your motor by the RPM it is running at and divide the total by 20. For example a 4 pole motor running at 40,000rpm has a commutation frequency of 8000, or 8Khz. If you had an 8 pole motor then the commutation frequency would double to 16Khz. As long as the frequency is close to the ESC's settings you will be fine.

Your Eflite fan will be running around 42-44K rpm and the motor is a 6 pole 3200Kv inrunner yes? This would give you a comm frequency of around 12-13Khz, so running at 12Khz will be fine, I would not go higher though as you risk generating more heat in the ESC.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:01 AM
Joseph Frost

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bit of days variety, combine logged flight time with these 6 models is well over 3500, 3-7 minute sessions over last 9 years.
Just back from another great flying trip with some variety of models, all programmed to low timing and PWM Freq.