Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

My Boomerang with 120mm EDF 12s

Old 05-23-2019, 10:20 AM
wayne-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My Boomerang with 120mm EDF 12s

I picked up a used Boomerang Sprint and put a ChangeSun 120mm 12 blade EDF with a 12 cell set up.
*6000 mah 6 cell 75 C packs
*I use a 3 cell 2200 mah for the BEC Pro to the receiver.
*Eagle Tree Guardian Stabilizer System
I cut vents into the body to make sure the fan gets all the air it wants.
I set the C / G at 9.5" from the trailing edge.
Ready to fly weight = 18.9 pounds

I got a test flight in the other day and to my surprise, The jet had More power then it needed.
I was about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in 15 mph cross wind during the flight. The jet felt smooth in the cross wind but the stabilizer system
did a great job on landing. After a 5 min flight, I landed with 3.98 volts per cell

wayne

Last edited by wayne-RCU; 05-23-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-2019, 11:55 PM
gofly2000
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Awesome!! How many pounds for the thrust?

thanks
Old 05-28-2019, 04:09 AM
wayne-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi: Gofly2000
Thank You.
It has right at 12 lbs of thrust max. I was worried about the jet being 19 lbs but it took off with no problem and had lots of power.
It was like flying a trainer plane. In a 12 mph head wind , I was able to hover in one spot for as long as I wanted to.
Even with the 12 to 15 mph winds, it was a joy to fly.

Thanks
wayne
Old 05-28-2019, 04:37 AM
wayne-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My tail cone is a cut down stove pipe from Lowes.
It's just the right size to fit on the back end of the EDF and the outlet is the right size ( 100mm ).
I cut off some of the leading edge of the pipe for a sung fit and
I cut off the extension tube at the end of the stove pipe. That's the two leftover parts you see in the photo with the EDF unit.
It works great. I can tall it gives a little extra power. Kind of like adding a intake lip to an EDF.

Wayne
Old 05-28-2019, 02:35 PM
Extreme_RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

100% FSA is around 105mm for that fan, 80% is around 93mm, you would be ideally wanting a 95mm outlet and it really shouldn't be so close to the back of the fan, a few inches before it tapers, or some heavy mylar film about 6" long rolled to 95mm outlet would work well. Its not that it makes more power, you are reducing the outlet below the fans FSA increasing velocity, loading the fan up a little more and increasing speed because of it.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:40 PM
wayne-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, I will keep that in mind on my next build.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:14 AM
Joseph Frost

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by wayne-RCU View Post
Hi: Gofly2000
Thank You.
It has right at 12 lbs of thrust max. I was worried about the jet being 19 lbs but it took off with no problem and had lots of power.
It was like flying a trainer plane. In a 12 mph head wind , I was able to hover in one spot for as long as I wanted to.
Even with the 12 to 15 mph winds, it was a joy to fly.

Thanks
wayne
It was designed as a "trainer" so you would expect it to fly as such, love to see that hovering for as long as you would like in video footage. Pretty tight fit of the power unit in you model, great idea to cut out all those air intakes. I hope you did some beefing up of those mounting railes, great job anyway, load some flying footage when you get a chance. Like to see it in action.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:11 AM
wayne-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi: Joseph
I am taking it to the IN. JET JAM in about two weeks. I hope to get some video of the Boomerang in flight.
I was going to put a 127mm DynaMax EDF but it was wider then the body of the Boomerang...LOL I looked in to my junk box and found a 120mm EDF and mounted it.
The 120mm EDF just fit (after hacking away 99.999% of the turbine mount. The 120mm EDF mounts are pocking out the sides of the body on the jet......LOL
Yes, I do have a heavy duty fan mount to hold everything in place (keeping my fingers crossed).
I looked and looked for other Boomerangs with the same intakes I have and could not find any. I think someone put some kind of aftermarket intake on it.
I know it would not supply enough air to the EDF, So I started cutting away to make sure the EDF was happy on the air feeding it.
I picked up the Boomerang at a swap meet to help a friend learn how to fly Large size EDF's. I just was not sure if I could get it to fly as an EDF but it seems to be working out very well.

Thanks
wayne
Old 05-29-2019, 05:22 AM
wayne-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the tail cone of the EDF.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:36 PM
Joseph Frost

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am taking it to the IN. JET JAM in about two weeks. I hope to get some video of the Boomerang in flight.
I was going to put a 127mm DynaMax EDF but it was wider then the body of the Boomerang...LOL I looked in to my junk box and found a 120mm EDF and mounted it.
The 120mm EDF just fit (after hacking away 99.999% of the turbine mount. The 120mm EDF mounts are pocking out the sides of the body on the jet......LOL
Yes, I do have a heavy duty fan mount to hold everything in place (keeping my fingers crossed).
I looked and looked for other Boomerangs with the same intakes I have and could not find any. I think someone put some kind of aftermarket intake on it.
I know it would not supply enough air to the EDF, So I started cutting away to make sure the EDF was happy on the air feeding it.
I picked up the Boomerang at a swap meet to help a friend learn how to fly Large size EDF's. I just was not sure if I could get it to fly as an EDF but it seems to be working out very well.

Thanks
wayne
Good to hear it all works, and good luck at the Jet Meet. The last one I went to I was the only one with EDF jets, beside all turbines. I was actually offered the same brand new model in the box with slight damage for a song, but I was so overloaded with models I couldn't fit it in even if I wanted it!
I fly similar but more sleeker "A-10/X", tho turbine powered. I suggest to improve yours, ad on to the sides scoop air intakes, extra direct air flow will only help. (Something like pic. of "X/29")
Cheers.

Similar design "A-10/X"

Note the "air scoop" intakes.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:53 AM
wayne-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your A-10/X Looks nice. My side intakes are very small and not the best for an EDF. I do like the way your jet has its intakes.
Time for me to break out the cutting saw......LOL " You can never have too many air intakes for an EDF)....LOL
Boomerang offers a set of larger Air intakes to fit the Boomerang Sprint. If I run across a set for sale, I will put them on my jet.
Your A-10/X has a very clean install.
What is the all up weight when your ready for take off , on your A-10/X ?
Funny how the A-10/X and the Boomerang Sprint looks a like. Well, they both seem to be a good flying jets.

wayne
Old 05-30-2019, 04:08 AM
wayne-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just now saw the photo of your A-10/X, I am sorry, I thought the photo of your Boomerang type jet was the A-10/X.
Now, I am on track....LOL
That is a cool looking jet. Finding C/G must have been hard to do.
It would take me 5 test flights and 5 jets to get the C/G correct for that A-10/X....LOL

wayne
Old 05-30-2019, 03:48 PM
Joseph Frost

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The first one I build back in '06 with wing ext, bad colour, I lost it after only 7 flights due to miss-orientation at long distance.

Next one I built, with more powerful unit, magic flier.

Bottom pic, with the new wing design.
Hi, I would tripple the size of those side intakes and move them forward, easy to make from fiber glass, just make a simple wood plug, or even some plastic juice bottles will do it.
"A-10/X" is 10.5kg with 2200ml of juice. Becomes lot livelier after 1/2 a tank's gone. The CG was never an issue, it's exactly at the spar about 1/3 from the LE.
The pic above is of a special batch with extended wings made up by manufacturers for the Austr. Distr. after my recommendation. The original build with very small wings was bit of a flying brick with bad reviews, people stalling it on their first turns. When I got my first one in '06 the first thing was to extend the wing tips, ( pics) just a common sense by looking at it.
After my positive flying reviews distributor ordered the Co. to redesign the wings to larger span to make it lot more friendlier..
Old 05-31-2019, 12:17 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I went from 12lb thrust turbine to 18lb thrust I was concerned the original intakes were too small so added 2ea. Still might be too small for EDF.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:01 AM
wayne-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi: Sidgate
I thought I had the only Boomerang Sprint with the small intakes. I see you have the same jet I do.
Your jet should run fast with a 18 lb turbine on it.

Wayne
Old 06-04-2019, 10:14 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought I had the only Boomerang Sprint with the small intakes. I see you have the same jet I do.

Wayne
====================================
Mine is the Boomerang Intro with wood fuselage. I only use full power for takeoff and verticles. Link to short video.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Extreme_RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by sidgates View Post
When I went from 12lb thrust turbine to 18lb thrust I was concerned the original intakes were too small so added 2ea. Still might be too small for EDF.
I think you will find they are much too small for a large fan unit, and flow will not be great through 4 small intake vents, you really need one decent intake either side at least the size of half the fan unit. You turbine doesn't need much in the way of intakes compared to a ducted fan, its often the hard part of conversions, getting the airflow into the front.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Joseph Frost

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wayne
Guys, the nose gear cavity also allows lot of air in unless you use gear door, which I wouldn't advice for an EDF power, better to fit small scoop at the rear of the cavity to maximize air intake.