Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Brushless for Wemotec minifan?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Brushless for Wemotec minifan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 10:42 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless for Wemotec minifan?

Looking for some advice on two things:

1. Looking for suggestions to replace the speed 480s with in Wemotec mini fan units in my scratchbuilt A-10 (~53" w/s) with brushless motor(preferably as cheap as possible, with increase in thrust). I'll acquire speed controls as needed once I settle on the motors.

2. Anyone know of an adapter(s) for the fan units to use with other motors(other than 480 motors), and where to get them?

Much thanks in advance!
Old 11-23-2004, 01:41 PM
NCC-1701

Default RE: Brushless for Wemotec minifan?

The Mega 16/15/2 or/3 motors are good drop-in replacements for the speed 480's. They're good to about 300 to 350 watts. The /2 Mega is good on 8 to 10 cells. I am currently flying one of these in a Kyosho T-33 (Kyosho fan) with 6 Gold Peal 3300 cells. It pulls 35 amps HOTC and delivers around 220 watts. Flies the T-Bird very nicely. In the minifan, the /2 runs best on 8 to 10 cells, and the /3 on 10 to 12 cells.

If you need more power, consider the Kontronik Fun 480 series. They can be pushed to asround 600 watts on a minifan. I have a K&A Mig-15 waiting to be built. I am going with a 480 minifan, Kontronik Fun 480-4200 and 10 Gold Peak 3300 cells. I haven't tested the set-up yet, but should deliver 50+ amps.

Rob
Old 11-23-2004, 01:57 PM
cwrr5

Thanks for the info. I build kinda on the heavy side, so I think I might go with the fun 480s (600w! [X(]). What kind of adapter for the fan did you use on the fun480, or is the shaft size the same?

Got a stack of Li-po cells to sort thru and assemble, sounds like it's gonna be interesting! [8D]
Thanks again!
-Chris
Old 11-23-2004, 02:03 PM
NCC-1701

A couple of other things to consider. For a good flying jet, the rule of thumb is 100 watts per pound minimum.

Also, do you have motocalc? If not, here's the link http://www.motocalc.com/ It's a great tool that alows you to experiment with different motor, battery, and speed controls. It's also free for 30 days.

For speed controls, I'm partial to Castle Creations Phoenix's. With the new Phoenix link, they can be updated and set easily from your PC.

Good Luck with the Hog,

Rob
Old 11-23-2004, 02:09 PM
NCC-1701

For an adaptor, I the Megas are 3.17mm. I think the Kontronik is 4mm. Electric Areomodeling, eam.net sells the adaptors separately at reasonable prices. Here's the short cut directly to the fans and accessories http://www.eam.net/EAMRC/efan.htm

Rob
Old 11-23-2004, 02:17 PM
cwrr5

Cool! Thanks again. And again. Power-to-weight shouldn't be a problem, I just say "I build heavy" because I started out in freeflight. I don't remember what the weight came out to exactly, but right around 2 lbs, with stack of li-pos sitting in the nose. I use motocalc, and electricalc pretty often, got em both, and absolutely love 'em! Was just looking for "real-world" experience.

Thanks for the link! Didn't know 'bout that one!