Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Depron F16

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Depron F16

I think the 2 box idea may work out better, 1 for the plastic parts, and one for the Depron.
Titanium encased, just in case.

Well no test flight today. First off I found out I had stripped both aileron servos, knew I should have used 81MG's, multiple bumps and moving it around contributed to the failures. Have revamped plans on next one, #1 using the 81MG's, #2 not attaching the servos to the ailerons till later in the build. After rebuilding both the servos, I retested out the sytem and had all kinds of glitching of all three servos in the shop. Forgot about all the electrical wiring and florescent lighting. Duh!
Old 02-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Glacier Girl

Ray,
I like the idea of titanium cases, and radioactive material stickers.

Anyhow no maiden for me today, when I did my preflight I found I had damaged both aileron servos, I guess getting bumped around in the shop during the build had shown their weakness.
So I had to remove them both and install new gearkits. That accomplished I found I had all kinds of glitching from all three servos. Duh! Forgot the bat cave with all the electrical wiring running in the walls and ceiling and the florescent lighting make a poor place to check out reception.
Outside it worked out fine. Man you should have seen the stares from the people driving by.
So I had the packs all charged up and the bird was re preflighted and I was ready to go.
Almost. I had forgot I had left the rear sets of seats up in the van. No biggie, just fold them up.
Enter new problem, temp reached a high of 4 degrees today and even with minimal wind, wind chill was below zero. I couldn't get the sliding doors or the rear hatch to open. Ok I'll warm up the van and let them thaw out. So I dragged all the equipment back into the shop and went out to fire up the van. RRRRrrrrrr Rrrrrr rrr click click click. Pry open the hood, find the battery charger. And wait some more. after charging for a couple of hours I finally get it started, letting it run another half hour I finally get the other doors warm enough to open. Now the seats decide they don't want to play. I could get them to unlock but not fold up in the stored positions. ARGGG, I resorted to pulling the five of them out and throwing them in the garage.
Good to go now, still cold as a witch's belly button, but no wind. Load everything back in the van, which by now is nice and toasty inside. A quick trip to the field, turn the Tx on..... oh ship, I had forgotten to turn it off. Reading 8.5 volts. Well I'll just do a quick spin around the field, and pack it in. Yeah right, I dig out a pack and install it, pop the canopy in place and walk out to the flying area. A double check on the controls to make sure they still go the right direction, and I lift the bird up and prepare to toss. Just as I go to blip the throttle, before I let her go, BEEP BEEP BEEP. Tx shuts down. Was just not meant to be. Score Murphy 1/ me 0 .
Old 02-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Crash One
My Feedback: (42)

GG.
We must be related! My new motto is if it can it will but only to me! I put the F-16 in the closet for a day and time when I can try to replace the damaged parts and cut new depron assuming the depron fairy pays me a visit. Maybe the decals will cheer me up and get me motivated. I still like the idea of an extra sheet of both sizes of depron in the kit "just in case". I looked through the scrap goodie bag that had the extra depron but nothing was big enough for the damaged wing. I think while I'm waiting I'll call Randy or Ken and get the 3 motor instead of trying to use a 4. I like the idea Ray had with the almost invisible 6x2 prop. Don't think it would look so good with a 7x3.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Glacier Girl

Crash,
I get you fixed up.
As soon as #2 hits. As we've talked.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Glacier Girl

Ok haven't even gotten #1 off the ground. Should have taken it to work with me, as the weather was in the 50's today and very little wind. [:@]
Well maybe tomorrow.
Anyhow, I looking at maybe dropping one of my Stryker setups in #2.
Looks good on MotoCalc.
Mega 16/25/4, Graupner Cam Speed 7x7, CC35, Ultimate Ubec, and a 4s2100 TP PL pack.
Compared to my stock set up, this one will pull a little less amp wise, produce a little more thrust, and best of all crack the 100 mph barrier.

I think I'll take my time and do a real nice slow build on this one, beefing up everything to handle the speed and strain.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:02 PM
RayRay

Hi Brad & Ray,

I just read this entire thread tonight and all I could say is "WOW"! Outstanding work!!!!
Ray, your F16 looks and flys amazing. I wish you all the best with your new endeavor. Its going to be H-U-G-E (no pun intended)

Brad, this build thread is the best one I have ever read. Your level of commitment to the build and detail is incredible. Can't wait to hear about your maiden. Try to get some video.
[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] to both of you.

And of course Louie's and Terry's humor made the thread even more enjoyable.

John
"Ray Ray"
Old 02-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Glacier Girl

Hey Rabbid,
Thanks for the kudos.

Hmmmm, where is Ray at?
You didn't go on holiday again did you?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:44 AM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

I spy....

Ray's next project (hush, its TOP SECRET)...

It's made of 1 piece of Depron and 1 Vac formed part...

Video here : http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...15882917744106

Cool, huh?

And less than $100
Old 02-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Glacier Girl

He's had some practice flying the Tom Cat.
Must have aluminum foil inside the Depron exhausts.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Glacier Girl

Ohhhh, gives me an idea. Install a smoke bomb in the exhaust cone, would look like exhaust from a jet.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:53 PM
TerryE

GG:

NOW you're thinkin
Old 02-21-2006, 02:47 PM
cadetman

Hi All

Phew a Tuff day today and i will post Pics later when they are sent to me,

it was the Photo shoot for the flying shoots and from what i saw they look excellent

there was only a small window of opertunity as the rain clouds were comming in !

TerryE now that is what i call a JET MmMuUuHAHHhHAHahh ,

but i have one last twist on it, they say it cant be done !
in fact Everyone tells me it cant be done !

if i have my calculations right and the manufactures are giving me the correct data the Electric VTOL Harrier will become a reality

IF and its a Big IF i get it to work it will be available in Kit form but it will come with a price Tag [X(]

it will take a 900 watt setup on a 6S pack to make it VTOL

it will not be to scale as the Vector Thrusters need to be much bigger to allow for much faster airflow compression and lift,

it will take 6 months to 10 months to make the alpha kit.. so dont hold your breath

can you imagine arriving at the flying site with a VTOL Harrier MmMuuUHhahaHHaha

this is an engineers dream come true if it works

we shall see [8D]

Ray
Old 02-21-2006, 08:08 PM
cadetman

pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18053.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	413003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84741.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	413004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55733.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	413005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21627.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	413006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84824.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	413007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq98028.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	413008  
Old 02-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Crash One
My Feedback: (42)

WOW! Very nice!
Old 02-22-2006, 05:09 AM
rastus21

They are some very nice photos
Old 02-22-2006, 09:36 AM
TerryE

Ray;

Great photos, I have the one on the top row, right side as my new wallpaper...

Any more video??

Did you get the US shipping problems sorted?

Good Luck

Terry
Old 02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Glacier Girl

OHHHHH,
I like the bottom left one.
Looks like a treetop strafing and napalm drop run.

That Jeeves is a heck of a photographer.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:37 PM
cadetman

Glacier/Brad

Jeeves was in the Bentley keeping it warm for me (Does Anyone really believe that? ) hahha [8D]

the cameraman in my opinion is the the Best in the U.K [8D]

He has to be to Track and photgraph the F16 when i am flying it hahahah

Ray

Old 02-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Glacier Girl

FLIGHT REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I maidened old Johnney Reb today.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ray,
Word's cannot fully describe what I'm feeling.
This might though. I actually stopped traffic with it. [X(][X(][X(]
I had 3 cars and a school bus pulled over to watch it.
In the air she looks real, I think the people actually thought there was an F16 at tree top level.
10 mph winds were nothing, she just blew through them. I could stand her on her tail and just hover forward. What a sight, nose 60 degrees up and just walking forward.
On rails is an understatement. I was actually able to take photos of her while flying, a first for me. Last time I tried that. I ended up with a major prange.
The landing was spectacular. Nose up, prop cutting grass, she looked like a dolphin tail walking.
Cut the throttle and she just settled on her tail and laid down. Not plopped, just slowly settled down.
Take a look at the shots, granted they aren't great, but hey not bad for a first time.

How do I rate this bird?
Let me put it this way. I just ordered 3 additional packs for her and 4 more for #2.

Ray, you've outdone yourself. Bravo. I now have a new favorite bird.
Man I can't wait for #2 to get here.
I gotta talk the wifey into going out with me to take vids.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69133.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	413577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77362.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	413578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50763.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	413579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67926.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	413580  
Old 02-22-2006, 06:10 PM
cadetman

Brad

i have just read your email and had to come and read your flight report on here

as you know my flying field is just over the road and one out of 2 times i return home after a flying session there is a car outside my house,

also when i am taking it towards the field i can hear the traffic slow down to get a good look as i walk to my crossing point

the farm workers on there Quad bikes stop and watch it flying too

there is just something about the size and the shape of the F16 that is just Pure Magic in the air

i am working on getting the F16 U.S packaged so they will arrive in good condition,

sorry for the delay but once again your kit will be the test of postal endurance,

Ray

Old 02-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Glacier Girl

Well I couldn't wait.
I went back out with a fully charged pack.
Learned 2 things. #1 Dusk and a gray shark don't mix. She blended in to the overcast too well.
I could only figure out where she was by making her show her white belly.
#2 She is not the same size as a Stryker. Getting her out there and thinking well that should be far enough, did not take into account she is many times bigger. What I thought was out 1/4 mile, had to be well over 1/2 mile if not closer to 3/4 of a mile away. Didn't realize how far out until I looked down and had a reference point on the ground. Good thing the rx has a one mile range. You get her out where she looks like a dot and she is going to be 1 mile plus.

Ray, your tip on the antenna worked well, not a glitch or a problem, even way out there.
So well behaved. Move the stick and she responds.
I'm taking her to work tomorrow, supposed to be the last decent day before winter comes back.
Hopefully a long lunch flight or one right after work. Time to wring her out. See what this girl's got.
My set up, I'm guessing right around 60 mph, judging by flybys near the highway. It's posted 45 mph, yeah right, do 45 on it and the cops will run over you.
I haven't been this excited about a bird since I let loose with my first big hammer Stryker.
Like a kid at Christmas, can't wait to go out again. Heck, I may just call off tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:36 PM
cadetman

Brad

you have GOT to take a pen to outline the tailpipe [8D]

use a fine line perm marker and draw in the line details on that tailpipe.. its a Gotta do Must

at 3000 feet you will still see it

Ray
Old 02-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Glacier Girl

Ok I"ll get er done.

Now where is my #2. Must have #2. Is it here yet?
Just like Maverick, "I have the need, the need for speed"
New power plant will go 1.5:1 on thrust and 80+ on an 8x6,
on a 7x7 it should still be 1:1 and clock 100+.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:01 PM
cadetman

Brad

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Well I couldn't wait.
I went back out with a fully charged pack.
Learned 2 things. #1 Dusk and a gray shark don't mix. She blended in to the overcast too well.
I could only figure out where she was by making her show her white belly.
#2 She is not the same size as a Stryker. Getting her out there and thinking well that should be far enough, did not take into account she is many times bigger. What I thought was out 1/4 mile, had to be well over 1/2 mile if not closer to 3/4 of a mile away. Didn't realize how far out until I looked down and had a reference point on the ground. Good thing the rx has a one mile range. You get her out where she looks like a dot and she is going to be 1 mile plus.

Ray, your tip on the antenna worked well, not a glitch or a problem, even way out there.
So well behaved. Move the stick and she responds.
I'm taking her to work tomorrow, supposed to be the last decent day before winter comes back.
Hopefully a long lunch flight or one right after work. Time to wring her out. See what this girl's got.
My set up, I'm guessing right around 60 mph, judging by flybys near the highway. It's posted 45 mph, yeah right, do 45 on it and the cops will run over you.
I haven't been this excited about a bird since I let loose with my first big hammer Stryker.
Like a kid at Christmas, can't wait to go out again. Heck, I may just call off tomorrow.

why am i up so late? why am i not tired? .. i am like a father to be.. awaiting his baby to be born
i am smiling Bright that the maiden was a success,
wait till you have the darkside version mmmuuUhhahahah ,,,
4 Point Rolls Ohhhh Yeahhh...
you will NOT believe how Brilliantly an F16 can 4 Point Roll !

Ray

Old 02-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Glacier Girl

ORIGINAL: cadetman

Brad

why am i up so late? why am i not tired? .. i am like a father to be.. awaiting his baby to be born
i am smiling Bright that the maiden was a success,
wait till you have the darkside version mmmuuUhhahahah ,,,
4 Point Rolls Ohhhh Yeahhh...
you will NOT believe how Brilliantly an F16 can 4 Point Roll !

Ray

I was just about to ask you about that. It's like what 1:00 am over there? It's an hour till bedtime here at 8:00pm, and I'm still wide awake. LOL
I bet I can know how she will roll, she does one heck of a drill imitation.
I have the ailerons and elevators set for full throws, with a ton of expo thrown in.
Makes her nice and docile on small stick movements, but you should see a full lock left or right stick roll. I'll find out if the elevators will rip off tomorrow. Good thing I used CF for support on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.