Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: E-Flite Super Airliner

very nice boomer. looks super,too............... love jets all kinds my brushless f-16 and my t-33 ... sold them to[] have to meany some times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57069.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	507563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs57843.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	507564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ty64967.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	507565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hb80733.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	507566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki20363.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	507567  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs59613.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	507568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki19649.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	507569  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it says to use a y harness off the throttle channel so both esc,s are connected. each esc has its own batt. wont that put too much current into the reciever. electron 6 for jr radio

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well to start the power wire to the brushless esc' are cut on 3 of the esc... so i have one esc sending power to the reciever and all four motor power wires are not cut....... and on one esc you dont cut the power for your reciever power up......[8D],,,, system is working awsome i have video this gets a lot of looks[:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-] at the air-field i'am stoked with it's handeling and huge power....... what fun.. passer buy at the air field are lovein the 26 wheeles / 4 fans brushless.4 esc.. thay say it's pull you in to look [:-][:-]and well worth it...[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A video of my son, Rob, flying the Eflite Super Airliner. He says it flys great. Sure sounds cool.

video here

--Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I gotta say I'm getting one for Christmas and I'm EXITED!
    Hey, When your not out flying.......PRACTICE!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, 777's have a big ass landing gear in the front so.............
    Hey, When your not out flying.......PRACTICE!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It has been a while...
    any updates on the projects, videos,,etc...
    Roy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had flown my super Airliner twice before it lost all power midflight and crash without control. My findings tell me it was that the reccommended E-flite 20 amp ESCs were overloaded, got to hot and shutdown temporarily causing the out of control condition. I used all the reccomended e-flite motors, ESCs, servos, batteries, except for my RX and TX. I have been getting the parts needed to build a new one, but I am doubtful if I will use the E-flite 20 amp ESCs again because of the failure. If you look at the specs on the motors versus the ESCs it appears that the ESCs dont support the burst current or continous for that matter and require a UBEC for it to work correctly. When I called E-flite about the crash they said I needed an on-board RX battery pack and should have disabled the BEC on the ESCs so the RX battery would power the servos. What ESCs are you guys using out there? Anyone else have random power out crashes due to the E-flite ESC? How are you providing extra cooling to the ESCs? I dont think the manuals instructions that call for the ESCs to be covered by the tape allow proper cooling. I know some folks on the wattflyer board that had identical crashes to mine. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats weird, I have a year and a 1/2 of flying mine with your setup and no issues or no extra battery.
    Phil
    Fairchild AFB WA
    NKAWTG...N!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Boomer,
    Just curious, do you provide any extra cooling to the ESCs? are yours covered by the wiring cover tape? I have a feeling they might have gotten overheated somehow. It crashed back in march, and wasnt even that warm out. Strange....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope mine were covered as per the directions, maybe you just got a bad pair or I got real lucky as I also had extra servos running a boom on the back and strobe & landing lights all on the e-flite 20 amp speed controls. I just don't know...

Phil
    Fairchild AFB WA
    NKAWTG...N!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the AF-1 at Big 5 Sporting Goods a couple months ago for $56 on sale. I put a Futaba 2.4 receiver and a programmable 35 amp ESC in it to run the brushed motors with a 3 cell li-po. I made some landing gear and installed 4 cheapie mini-servos for ailerons (2), elevator (1) and steerable nose gear. I looked at a 3-view drawing for a guestimate on the main gear location and balanced it where it balanced stock with the battery pack. I had some issues with the negative incidence on the horizontal stab since it was meant to fly with just thrust but work around that rather than cut them off and re-align them. Full power for take-off uses about 300 ft of our dirt runway (I'm sure paved would be much less) and it rotates just like the real thing. I reduce power immediately to reduce its natural tendency to climb and the thing tools around at a very scale-looking speed. Stalls just mush straight ahead and even here at 5500' above sea level, it’s almost a powered glider. I use a 1450 MAH pack and it gives me plenty of flying time. It will also lift my 2200 MAH "Stryker" battery but the extra weight makes it fly a little faster.

Wind sucks! It will do a weird wallowing, especially when slowing to land but landings are a piece of cake! I carry a little throttle right to the ground and flair to a scale nose-high landing. So far this plane is the hit of our flying field and a hoot to fly. Oh yeah and a bunch cheaper than the E-flight airliner.
    Arf Guy

Name:	Ki17951.jpg 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	792156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id95593.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	792157  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys,

I was curious if you all knew where I could get a replacement 2mm x 6mm screw that is for attaching the motor to the ducted fan housing? I have tried the LHS and Denault's True Value which is known for having a wide selection of small screws and such, but came up empty. I have tried emailing horizon and they said no can do. I am also looking for an alternative to the 4 3mm x 40mm screws that attach the wings since the soft metal of the phillips head is already somewhat stripped on the onese I have now. I was looking for maybe an allen bolt type head. Any help is appreciated, I am trying to get another one of these up and running after mine crashed in March for an unknown reason, probably ESC related loss of control! Thanks -

Aaron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jetnfast

I had flown my super Airliner twice before it lost all power midflight and crash without control. My findings tell me it was that the reccommended E-flite 20 amp ESCs were overloaded, got to hot and shutdown temporarily causing the out of control condition. I used all the reccomended e-flite motors, ESCs, servos, batteries, except for my RX and TX. I have been getting the parts needed to build a new one, but I am doubtful if I will use the E-flite 20 amp ESCs again because of the failure. If you look at the specs on the motors versus the ESCs it appears that the ESCs dont support the burst current or continous for that matter and require a UBEC for it to work correctly. When I called E-flite about the crash they said I needed an on-board RX battery pack and should have disabled the BEC on the ESCs so the RX battery would power the servos. What ESCs are you guys using out there? Anyone else have random power out crashes due to the E-flite ESC? How are you providing extra cooling to the ESCs? I dont think the manuals instructions that call for the ESCs to be covered by the tape allow proper cooling. I know some folks on the wattflyer board that had identical crashes to mine. Thanks
    I had the same problem twice. It's not the ESC's it's the on board BEC that go bad after few flights. With the jet running 5 servo's it overloads the BEC and it burns up. I am now running 30 amp ESC's and a UBEC to power the servo's and have about 25 flights with no problems at all. The UBEC is about 15 bucks and can run 10 servo's no problem. The good thing about running a UBEC is even if your ESC's both burned up you still have power to the servo's to land.

Keep em flying
    raido56/Herb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Radio56,

I agree with you it was probably the overloading of the ESC and servo load that caused it to go down, but I am still not sure, because both ESCs that were in the Airliner are running in other planes (Mini pulse XT, MUS) with no problems 30+ flights. I do remember when I built the airliner for the first time, I covered up the ESCs per the manual with the wire covering decal, but since then I have seen on many installs to just leave the ESC portion open. I suspect it might have been an overloaded/hot ESC to temporarily shut down, since the shrinkwrap on one of the ESCs was found partially missing and melted off in the crash investigation. I dont know! I am tempted to use the two 20 amp ESCs again on the new Airliner, but I think I will get a BECF this time. Do you have one for each ESC, or just one total? Thanks!

Aaron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Aaron,
    I use one UBEC on it. I also did not have the ESC's covered the two times the airliner went in. I did open the one ESC that was powering the servo's and found that it did burn up. I just tossed it out did not try it in another plane. I now use a UBEC on all my high power jets even if they are running only 2 or 3 servo's for me the 15 bucks I spend for a UBEC is worth it not taking that dirt nap [&o]

Keep em flying
    raido56/Herb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds good, what UBEC do you reccomend? I know there are a bunch out there. I am planning on setting up the one I have in the box in a month or so, after the holidays, so I will need to do it right this time!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

still no pics of that thing flying. whats the hold up

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My airliner lives again.....I had some time recently to get her back together. I fixed the original fuselage, and fixed up a pair of damaged wings I recieved from E-flite that they sent me. My previous crash was due to the ESC inadvertently shutting down in flight causing the loss of control and subsequent crash. To prevent a crash due to the same problem, I am using a Dimension engineering BEC connected to one of the ESCs, this way if it fails again, my servos will still be powered and I can doing an engine out landing. I will hopefully maiden her next weekend. Here are some pics of the repaired bird:

You can see the damage to the nose was bad after the crash! I used a trick where you boil some water and then put the nose of the plane in the water and the foam will expand back to its original size. Then I cut some rough foam to insert into the space damaged, then used some spackling paste I refinished the nose to shape, and finally repainted it. You can barely tell, and its amazing its the same fuse!

Name:	Ec88153.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	850075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dz81139.jpg 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	850076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In27024.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	850077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oi14034.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	850078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do83367.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	850079  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i own an airliner and it does not fly well it has all the recumended motors and im using elictrifly power series 2100 packs it has no power it takes 300 ft to lift and climb out is marginal is there something i can do ?
    how fast can you afford to go ????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,

Welcome to RCU! Anyways, about your airliner, it shouldnt take that much distance to rotate and get up to speed just to get airborne. Are you holding aft stick during the rotation to kind of force it into the air? Have you properly balanced the Airliner, that could be a possible solution. I agree it is no speed demon, and does take some time to get up to speed, but I can cruise around at 1/2 throttle and still stay airborne. Do you have any other 2100Mah packs to try flying it with to rule out the batteries as a problem? I fly with the reccomended setup and I am using Thunderpower 2100Mah packs.

Aaron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i dont have the thunder power batteries only one but the elctrifly batteries are 20 c continus and the others are only 15c there is a slight weight difference but only 4oz it will fly but only at full power no rolls no loops just fly and i have used the batteries in my strykerf27c brushless and it has unlimited vert so its not a lack of power would 4oz be the difference between this plane flying and not ???
    how fast can you afford to go ????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My son, Dave, built his E-Flite airliner with retracts. It was a very easy modification and believe me, the plane looks much better with no gear hanging out in flight. The other modification was to not put the tape over the ESC's because of the mismatch on the parts specified by E-Flite (20 amp motors & 20 amp ESC - that's a no-no from the very beginning, although a good marketing tool for selling expensive electronic parts).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I run my airliner with 2-3800 Kv motors, 2- 30 amp ESC's a UBEC with 2- 4S 2200 25C packs pulling 28 amp's each side at over 800 total watts so take off from grass is no problem for me. Loops are no problem now and the rolls are a lot better with more speed. Still fly at about 1/2 but it's nice to have that extra power when you want it.

Keep em flying
    raido56/ Herb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RAVjets Demo Team. All We Do Is Fly.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast