Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Multiplex Twin Star ??? God or Bad

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Multiplex Twin Star ??? God or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
AJ1202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiplex Twin Star ??? God or Bad

I am thinking very hard about buying this plane. I would like to hear any input on it, good or bad. What is the quality of the plane and how hard is the build, how does it fly. What kind of motors and batteries were used. Can it fly well stock. If you know of any other planes simular to it that you feel are better, by all means post that as well, I would prefer to stay with foamy, I like GWS planes but not really intersted in their multi engine planes. I want to stay around the same size of the twin star as well. I don't have anywhere to fly a plane any bigger. Any input will be appreciated
Old 08-29-2006, 10:24 AM
bigchap

Default RE: Multiplex Twin Star ??? God or Bad

mark 1 or 2?,i would advise the mark 2 as it's made out of elapor and can be repaired with cyano,they both fly beautifully and you won't be disappointed with either,don't be tempted to use lipos as in my opinion they need the weight of nimhs or nicads,have fun!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:26 PM
AJ1202

Thanks for the responce, are you flying a twin star now
I was thinking about the Mark 2, will it fly well with stock motors or is a upgrade to brushless suggested. I am also now looking at the P-38 lightning, very nice looking plane and just a little bit smaller, just has a bigger price tag
Old 08-30-2006, 12:22 AM
gloria

Hi

I have now been flying the TwinStar 2 for nearly a year; flies nicely with the stock motors and as said in the earlier response, it need the weight from the NiMh or NiCd. Mine have taken a hit now and again, but dead easy to repair. I will say it's a bit sensetive to turbulens, but other than that I really like this plane.

For your info I am flying a P-38 frim flying styro. Setup is brushles and Lipo. Great plane, flies well and very powerfull.

Have fun

Gloria
Old 08-30-2006, 06:40 AM
AJ1202

Hi Gloria, I think I remember you, didn't you and Shuntot build and set up your Twin Stars about the same time. Where did you get your P-38, how big is it, I do like the P-38. I had planned to go brushless on whatever I get but like to know how they fly stock, kinda gives me an idea of how good a plane it is. I'm thinking 2 400XT or BP21 outrunners and lipo, if I have to add a little weight for CG, so be it, just can't beat the performance of the lipo batt packs
Thanks for the input, definatly liking what I'm hearing about both planes
Old 08-31-2006, 12:26 AM
gloria

Hi AJ

I cannot remember what i put into the the p-38. but it was 2 AXI, 2 Jeti speed controller and the Lipo, I will get the info to you from my file. Stock weise it flies beautifull, very easy to handlaunch, basicly flies out of your hand. Handle nicely in the air and even it's a fairly light plane it handles wind pretty good. Do not over power the p-38, since it will not look scale like in the air. Normally I only fly it on half throttle.

I live in UK so thereefore it was bought here in England, but just seach on FLYING STYRO. I thing I saw it on HOBBY LOBBY and there was also a small video clib of it.

Yeas, you remember right, we build the Twins Star at the same time, but I have no idea what happen to him after a few posts about batteries.

Anyway I will get the info what I exactly put into the P-38.

Gloria
Old 08-31-2006, 04:11 PM
AJ1202

Thanks Gloria, yes I found the P-38 at HL, it's a bit more than I want to spend right now so save yourself some research, however I'm pretty set on the twin star. Can you hand lauch the twin star, just curious as sometimes I fly where there is no runway to work with a plane of this size for take off. Rough grass or bumpy dirt road. I see GWS is coming out with a P-38 soon, maybe it will be worth a look
I wasn't real impressed with the promo photo's but you never know, GWS makes a good poor mans plane
I think I'll order the TS next week and all the tronics to build it
Old 08-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

I had one of the earlier TwinStars. It was a good airplane for the money spent. I flew mine on stock sp400's, 8 cell NiCd, Gunther props. After a couple hundred flights I switched to a 2.33:1 gear box, new sp400's, used the biggest props I could fit.

Either way, it was a good flier.

With the smaller props it could ROG from very wet grass (had to give it a little shove to get it going), goose poop, snow, ice.

Once the front wing hold down come loose, the wing fluttered, the fuse came down like a lawn dart. It flew the next day

Like I said, it was a good plane until it was strained through a baseball diamond back stop. At the time of its demise, it had close to 300 flights
Old 08-31-2006, 10:46 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I've had the Mark I for about four years now. It flies on the standard Speed 400's but the props ar APC 5.5x4.5. It flies beautifully. I started with a 7-cell 1400 pack and lately have switched to 1900 7-cell packs. I have really enjoyed this plane. Say what you want, nothing beats the "gee whiz" factor of a twin, electric or not.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:58 AM
gloria

Hi AJ

Good luck with the Twinstar. I am powereing it with a 3000 mAh NiMh. standard motor and standard props. Flies beautifull. Hand launch nicely. You have to since no undercsarrige. You will definitely enjoy this plane.

Gloria
Old 09-01-2006, 06:01 AM
AJ1202

Thanks all for the responces, once I get it I may post a question or 2 so if you don't mind keep an eye out, I can do 9.6 3000 ma nicd no problem, as long as it's not too heavy. sounds like I could just stay with the stock motors and it fly just fine, that's kinda cool, save some $$ on BL stuff for it. I have a walkera SU-27 flanker that I'm putting 2 BL motors on, took the EDF out and running it on props, I was thinking I was gonna have to buy 4 motors and 4 ESC to cover both planes.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Prophex

I'm thinking of ordering a Multiplex Twin Star as my second plane, but can't decide on what battery to use, here's what I have so far:

- Twin Star II (with stock motor)
- 4x Hitec HS-81 servo's (not the metal geared ones)
- Jeti jes 030 speed controller (with BEC)
- Graupner R700 reciever

So which battery do I need ? I was thinking about a [link=http://shop.lindinger.at/product_info.php?cPath=1335_1349&products_id=55565]Sanyo 8-cell 3600mah Nimh[/link] pack. Will this be to heavy for the plane with stock motor ? Is the size of the pack to big ? Any other suggestions ?

Also, Hobbylobby suggested this particular speed controller, is it any good ? (sry, but I'm still very new to electric flight and still don't have a clue about which motor and which speed controller, plus which battery I need for each plane.)

regards,
Prophex
Old 01-29-2008, 07:08 AM
polarit

I flew my TS2, first with the speed400, some reg, and 8x sanyo-pack - it's good, and with a little bit of pick up on speed it CAN fly a cuban 8
Later i went to a lighter setup with 2 x AXI 2212/26, and 3S 3200 Kokam
- and a detachable undercarriage with steerable nosewheel, it goes straight up after 2-3meters of groundroll.
Not to mention the mixing between the esc's and the rudder makes spinning impressive
Old 02-02-2008, 09:33 AM
RickAvery

Here is my Bro-in-laws TS II. An amazing flying airplane. This one is hugely over powered with twin HiMaxx 2812-1080 motors & 8X6X3 counter rotating props, full house controls and stearable nose wheel on 3s lipo. It leaps off of the ground with ~15’ of roll out and climbs away at 45 deg. We’re going to try and use it as a tow plane for a 72” foamy glider. I’m in the process of building a TS I, EPS foam. I found it at Hobby People for $39.00 and couldn’t pass up the deal!! Excellent flying stable airplane. Go for it. Good luck.
Rick
\
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32429.jpg
Views:	4292
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	867886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91135.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	867887  
Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 PM
elhepilot

I have a Twinstar 2 that I have converted to a seaplane and it flies great. I used two "long can" 400s and 4S A123 batteries.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:41 AM
loserdave

ORIGINAL: elhepilot

I have a Twinstar 2 that I have converted to a seaplane and it flies great. I used two "long can" 400s and 4S A123 batteries.
I was thinking of doing the same.

Do you have any pictures of your plane?