Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Need some HET F-18 Build Tips

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Need some HET F-18 Build Tips

Old 11-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Buggygovroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some HET F-18 Build Tips

I started my build tonight using 30 minute epoxy. Got the Tailerons mounted, and right main wing propped up and sitting. I started misc work on the canopy and wondered what methods to use to mount it so it is still removable? Gluing it to the sides of the battery hatch seems like it will be weak and the front and back sides cant be fastened to the fuse or it wont be removable.

Also my baggy of hardware was missing one of the servo pushrod adapters with the knurled nut. Does anyone know where I can find another?

Any other helpful info would be appreciated. Im curious what you guys wrapped your servos in before gluing them to the sidewall of the fuse, how tight should the bungee be for launch?

Im using a wemo 480 with the typhoon 2w-20 motor, SPT 80A esc, and a TP 3850 5S X-treme pack. That should give you an idea as far as weight goes.

Im open to other building pointers any of you may have as well. Thanks!

B
Old 11-13-2006, 04:34 AM
Jason R.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need some HET F-18 Build Tips

The canopy will be fine just remove some covering b4 gluing. Mine did not even come off after it did the RIP manouvre. I had about 10lb pull on my bungee and it launched my Hornet well and does my sniper now with no problems. The power combo should be fine. Good luck with it. and hope to see a pic if u change the scheme.

JR
Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

B - 5S on the 2W-20 is too much voltage. You'll have fun with it, until the motor cooks. A 4S pack will still give you a lot of bang for your buck and longer motor life.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Buggygovroom

Thats kind of the plan. If that motor cooks im replacing it with a mega. I almost maidened today but the wind was too harsh. Managed to bungee launch a edf phantom just to give bungee launching a try instead of the HET being the first.

3.5 LB is the auw of my het. Im thinking 15lbs of pull on the cord will be good enough. I dont have a ramp to use but I do have an 8 foot piece of smooth particle board that might do the trick.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:50 PM
CTulanko

Buggy...

15-18lbs of pull should work just fine for the bungee. As far as battery choices go, you made a bad one as the 2W20 is made for 4S, not 5S and you will cook the motor if run at full throttle for any normal length of time. Buying a Mega doesn't necessarily fix the problem, unless you buy a Mega to match the 5S battery. If that is the case and you don't have a 4S pack, I would suggest you shelf the 2W20 for when you can buy a 4S pack and use it in another model.

Carl
Old 12-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Buggygovroom

Any reccomendations on motor? I was thinking mega 16/25/2 as a replacement but if you have a better idea shoot.

Thanks again.

B