Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

JEPE PYRANHA

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:55 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JEPE PYRANHA

OK guys. Got my new Pyranha MK3 last week. Good looking plane and should fly quite fast someday... also the quality is very nice. However, Jepe has not put nearly the effort into the assembly instructions has he put into the mold. To be frank the instructions are pretty lousy. I got a CD with some decent pictures and some not. Also the pictures are of the older versions which look to have quite different ducting/intake assembly. This kit is fiberglass... what type of glue do i use to assemble it? Does anyone have experience building this model that can assist me a bit? I have attached a pic of the new MK3 kit. Thanks-R.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38183.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	578915  
Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: JEPE PYRANHA

I just finished a MK2 with the glass wing, but balsa tail. I have not flown it yet.

A couple tips:
Make sure the inlet/fan will clear the wing before you glue it in. I worried about getting the front of the intlet flush with the scoops on the fuse and the fan hit the wing by about 1/4". Fix wasn't too bad. Luckily I hadn't done the filets yet.
I used West Systems epoxy everywhere. You could use thick CA for the tail if you wanted.

There is alot of info on this plane on RC Groups EDF forum. Bob B is here and he is the resident expert.

Good Luck!

Chris Attebery
Old 04-29-2007, 05:47 AM
wingworld

Hallo Pyranha frinds from the Stats
I was facing the same with the building manual.
To be honest, it toke me a lot of time and a gave me a few more grey hair to bild the Pyranha.
Finaly, I finished the building and made the first ten flights. I still do some resurge to make the model more practical for daily flying.
To have a good building manual is essential to build and fly a high performance model like this. ( I can promise you, it is a high performance model!)
This is the reason, why I made a lot of pictures during the building and have started to write a building manual for the Pyranha MK3.
It is not just a building manual, it will have flying and equipmet informations, too.
I will share my knowledge with RC model frinds to make it easyer for the future Pyranha owners to find the right equipment, building and setting to have the same fun with the model like I have. To write a manual are tonnes of work! This is the reason, why I will sell the final printed version for a small amount to cover at least a part for printing and homepage costs.
The first version will be in German and as soon I find a english speaking frind, which one is helping me to write a english version, I going to make a english version too.
I have some pictures on my homepage: http://www.wingworld.ch/4701.html
For all Pyranha flyers, have some serious fun!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:12 PM
stoneenforcer

Thanks for the input. Get this,... the day i finished building it... I hung it up on the wall. Went outside to check the mail, came back in and it fell off the wall!!! Broke off the vertical stabilizer and thrust nozzle...!! BUMMER!! So, i ordered new parts from JP.. still waiting to get them. Hopefully, he's put them in the mail. I can't wait to fly it. Question for you,, how fast does this lil jet land??
Old 05-01-2007, 05:01 AM
wingworld

Hi stoneenforcer
I have to say, it is faster for landing then all other models I have flown before.
Then I reduced the weight by 23% with lighter and smaller batteries (2100mA). My model is now slightly below 800 Grams (1.7637 lb.)
I am playing right now with the CG moving towards the rear. The first impressions are positive. This will help to reduce the landing speed.
I wrote a mail to JePe about moving the CG but he was not sure, did anybody ever try it.

Have a good day,
Andreas
Old 05-03-2007, 07:29 PM
stoneenforcer

Hmm. not to sure how that rear CG would work out for you. I would think that at high speeds the plane will become very touchy! As far as landing, a rear CG will prob just initiate a flare affect with less input from pilot. Let me know how it goes... I'm still waiting for my parts from JP. Its been a month now. I'm loosing my patience quickly.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

The CG on the Pyranha is very "safe". I balance there and then move my packs back 1/4-1/2" after the first flight.
Have fun!
Old 05-05-2007, 05:52 PM
wingworld

Hello Pyranha frinds
As R Belluomini says, the CG is very safe. But just the other day, my little pocket rocket showed me clear the limits.
Let me try to explain it. There is, lets name it, “a deadly corner” in the low speed range.
I had this now a few times during hand lunching and ones during landing with crosswind.
In the air, you can tray what ever you want, the Pyranha is not stalling over the wing.
Not so, when it get forced out of it normal flying stability either by hand lunch with a just slightly high angel of attack other a wind gust during landing from cross side.
Maybe my wording is not 100% right but just to gif you an idea when it happens.
The model is banking rapidly up to 90° or more. Any correction to the other side is resulting in a rapidly very high bank angel to the other side and so on.
The Pyranha is hardly not building up speed with full trust and if the ground is to close, you will end up with a repair. This happens to me during landing. On top of that, your taileron controls are not effective at all in the low speed range. You are sitting in a deadly corner and just luck is getting you out of this.
I guess, if you move the CG to the rear, your angel of attack is higher and your model lower on speed with the same deflection. (The force is lower to bring the nose down.)
There is no speed margin if something is pushing your Pyranha out of it stability!
No question, it is a pleasure to fly the Pyranha with the CG moved slightly to the rear, but it is less fun to repair it after a crash!
I will go back to the initial setting.
By the way, what is this for a F16 in your profile (R Belluomini)?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Jepe F-16 on 8S
Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 PM
stoneenforcer

Well, got my parts today from JP. FOr some reason it took about 5 weeks. Its not JP's fault, his service has been just great. I told him after 4 weeks that I had not received the parts and he kindly sent another set out to me. SO, at this time they are in route to me. I will hold them for inventory, if any of you guys need a fiber vertical stabilizer and/or a carbon thrust nozzle let me know. Bob, if you have any inquiries for these let me know and I'll help JP out by mailing them out.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:56 AM
acr007

I am on my third Jepe Pyrahna and love this bird.

I upgraded the servos on the tailerons/elevons and increased them by 1/2 ".

The result, with 35% expo for elevator and aileron, you get a marked improvement in response rate.

Also, if you are worried about weigth make a bigger wing, I added 4" to the wing and have the Het 2W20 Jeti 70 and Flight power 2*2S1P 3700 so weight is near the 950g mark but if you line her up from about 200 ft out and just let it sink in it lands at a reasonable pace.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:57 PM
bmichels

does anyone know what is the best TIMING for the 2W20 with a minifan on 4s ?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM
branrose32

hi there i was looking to purchase a super sniper but found out it was not possible to put retracts on it.
so i was woundering if there is any room for it on the pyrahna, how thick is the wing?
thanks