Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Red Arrows EDF 64mm fan?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Red Arrows EDF 64mm fan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Toker41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Arrows EDF 64mm fan?

I just picked up a Red Arrows Bae Hawk EDF. It does not come with a fan, however it does come with a 2040 brushless motor. I believe it's a 64mm fan. Can anyone suggest a fan unit?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 PM
GUAIO
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Red Arrows EDF 64mm fan?

hummm I have the same plane..mine came with a fan and motor already installed...its a brushless 4300KV...

less radio,servos,esc,battery

I ordered a Himaxx 5300KV motor..trying to get the original motor out!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:06 PM
GUAIO

www.ejf.com have some 64mm fans I think???...or you can probably pick one up on ebay pretty cheap
Old 02-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Toker41

Is taking the original fan unit out a problem? Do I have to use the same exact replacement, or can I use any 64mm fan?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:34 AM
whissel_blowa

5300Kv motor will fry with that rotor, its almost as aggresive as a GWS 64 rotor. Stock motor pulls close to 30 amps on a decent battery, which is probably why all the ones sold on ebay burn out real quick especially in warm weather. Good luck guys!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:24 PM
GUAIO

ORIGINAL: extreme_rc

5300Kv motor will fry with that rotor, its almost as aggresive as a GWS 64 rotor. Stock motor pulls close to 30 amps on a decent battery, which is probably why all the ones sold on ebay burn out real quick especially in warm weather. Good luck guys!
so what do you recommend for the 5300kv motor?? the stock one is too slow for me...I wanted a little quicker jet
Old 02-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Toker41

Do I have to use the stock fan unit? Will any 64mm fit? The stock is $40, while a GWS is only $15.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:41 PM
clovus

I got one of these coming this week (hopefully, hint hint Mark!).

Keep us updated on your upgrades, as I know it probably won't be long and I'll be wanting to gain a bit more speed.

clovus
Old 02-28-2007, 10:09 AM
SUPERGONZO

I'm looking for an upgrade motor as well, stock does not have enough power.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 AM
SUPERGONZO

And it looks difficult to remove without wrecking the foam and the plane...Help
Old 02-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Toker41

What kind of speed should I expect from the stock motor?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:52 PM
clovus

I think somewhere around 40mph......

Still waiting to maiden mine, we have a tropical low off the coast kicking up 20-30knot winds here with a smidgeon of rain added into the mix.

clovus
Old 03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

It's noy very fast. I have maybe 10 flights on mine. I would estimate the speed to be between 40- 50 mph. The neat thing about the airplane is that it will climb in a knife-edge. It's so light.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:00 PM
clovus

Maidened mine today. I got the power package from extremerc. What a great flier, quite easy to fly. Meps is right, its no speed demon, certainly not as fast as a stryker C, but I knew that already before I bought it. I think it's a good intro to EDF

clovus
Old 03-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Toker41

I hope it's at least as fast as my Eflight MUS.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Toker41

Maidened mine today. WAY to slow. Maybe the 10 mph wind had something to do with it, but it just seemed way to slow, and not very stable at all. I've got another waiting to be modded. Can anyone suggest a 64mm fan unit and 5800 motor?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:52 PM
GUAIO

Gws fan and a himaxx 5300 inrunner ??? not sure if its a good setup but thats what I ll do to mine soon
Old 03-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Ed Waldrep

ORIGINAL: Toker41

Maidened mine today. WAY to slow. Maybe the 10 mph wind had something to do with it, but it just seemed way to slow, and not very stable at all. I've got another waiting to be modded. Can anyone suggest a 64mm fan unit and 5800 motor?
Here's a 66 mm fan I bought but haven't run up at all since I alread installed a minifan 480 in my Hawk with a 500 watt setup (Mega 16/15/2).
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4243
Installing the larger fan was a pain, foam removal was required, added a wing spar, weight RTF is 2 lb 10.6 oz with two Thunder Power Extreme 3s 2070s in parallel. Horizonta stab is flexing too much for my taste and I got a bit of flutter in a dive.
If I had to do it again I'd use that fan from United Hobbies, it looks like it could take quite a bit of power, more than the stock fan. A 4S 2070 pack would be lighter the trick would be to find a lower KV motor but I don't have time to research it. I'd like to be flying at a lower weight but the setup I have now gives me 70 mph level and 80 out of a slight dive. The turbulence in the duct (behind the fuse inside, bad shape, not area ruled) slows the plane down as does the gear hanging down and not retracting). It's a big airplane, it will go faster with more power but only so fast with the gear and ducting, which could be made better with a center triangle shape that lets the air come together right in front of the fan, two inner duct walls.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Toker41

I'm seriously disappointed in this plane. I'm not sure it's worth putting the money and effort into modding it. I have another one with no fan or motor that I may play with one day, but I'll leave this one stock and consider it a novelty. I've seen an F-18 on Ebay that's wood, and fiberglass, and claims a speed of over 120mph. Think I'll try that next. I'm thinking I might put this stock motor in my Miglet. Anyone see any problem with doing that?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:46 AM
whissel_blowa

This plane was never meant to be a rocketship, its a park flyer, and its a VERY good one at that. Adding alot of weight to this to make it go faster just gives you a heavy bullet that doesnt slow down and develops bad traits like tip stalling.

Our 4 cell setup is the best compromise so far for this plane, we are outfitting the kits with our own motor/impeller setup and run it with a DN LV36A esc and a 4s1300 20c battery. It can be flown in 30 degrees C heat at WOT the whole time with no temperature issues to any of the components. Flying it without undercarriage and hand launching is the easiest thing to do of any plane I have ever had.

here is a short video of the plane on flyby, am waiting to get some doppler on the video to see if we can ascertain the speed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651545

Toker41, sure you can buy an F18, get yourself an HET F18 with a 6904 fan and 2w or 2w20 motor, you will have a 100-140mph plane (depending on the setup) that weighs 1000-1300 grams, goes like a bullet, and needs a club field or extremely large safe area to fly it in. Its no park flyer.

I flew the Hawk 4 times yesterday in 30 degrees, WOT most of the time, 5-6 min flights use around 700mah, I can hand launch it and not touch the sticks until it reaches the other side of the field!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Toker41

Wow, where can I get that motor and fan?

Also, question: What happens if I use a 10c battery in this? Do I get less power, or does the battery heat up more?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Ed Waldrep

ORIGINAL: extreme_rc

This plane was never meant to be a rocketship, its a park flyer, and its a VERY good one at that. Adding alot of weight to this to make it go faster just gives you a heavy bullet that doesnt slow down and develops bad traits like tip stalling.
Actually mine has no problem slowing down with the gear hanging down and the draggy ducting! Of course I'm flying at a normal rc field with plenty of room and 600 feet of runway vs a park or ball diamond. I haven't had an issue with tip stalling anymore, I've added 2.5 oz to the tail for balance and it's not so heavy on the nose anymore, I can greas in the landings easily. The batteries need to be moved back some but I'll have to cut a bulkhead out. The mods I did were a lot of work but I'm up to 70 mph level. A lighter hand launched version without the drag of gear would be nice though. Your lighter 4 cell setup is probably a better way to go overall, if you aren't concerned about speed. Nice work!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
whissel_blowa

A 10c battery is pretty much useless in EDF setups, it will just get stinkin hot, voltage will sag out close to 9v and you will be right back where you started. A 20c pack is a necessity, whether 3s or 4s setup is used. Problem with 3s is it requires huge amp draw which cooks motors.

If you want a battery you can get a similar one to mine from XUS Hobby in California. 4s1300 Electric Power 20c pack will do fine. Then all you need is a motor and impeller/hub combo, you use the stock housing. I may be able to help you out with this, am waiting on new stock of motors right now, email me and we can look into shipping and whether its feasible. [email protected]

Fast pass of the Hawk showed 50mph, good enough for a park flyer, but alot of restriction in the intakes. I am going to create ducting in the fuselage and retest it, as the fan speed was reportedly much lower than I know my setup to be capable of. Wing off I am getting 7000rpm more than the inflight reports suggest, so there is free speed to be had here!

Getting 70mph out of it with the stock ducting is a good effort Ed, I am sure if you build ducts into your fuse you will fix alot of issues of turbulence and dead air inside there. CG seems to be pretty benign once you are back at the factory position or further. The undercarriage definitely slows it down heaps on landing, we had two next to each other, one with and one without, and mine without will glide forever if you want it to at practically jogging/walking speed unless you have a headwind.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:44 PM
whissel_blowa

The other thing you should look into Ed is the micro air retracts! Heaps of room for them, I was measuring them up last night and the setup would be so easy, front one has heaps of room for folding into the foam, and mains are easy too. Could even use the stock wheels.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Ed Waldrep

I have the air conversion kit for the Great Planes .10 size mechanical retracts and a all metal nosewheel air retract from Southeast Model Products (found over at rc groups in the jet section under the thread title "world's smallest air retracts". I've yet to use them in a plane but that's what I'll use if I ever get around to it. There's also some company in Canada with some new small retracts, larger than the tiny ones that I've seen but smaller than the EJF/Jet Hangar mini retracts. K&A Models will be using them in their L-39.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.