Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Phase 3 EF - 16

Old 10-23-2008, 10:54 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Phase 3 EF - 16

moderator delete plz...duplicate
Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: Turn n Burn

I wouldn't advise using 4s with the stock motor.I know others have tried some worked a few runs but all have gone up in smoke or melted fan housing and burned the motor. A successful 4s set up is jet screamer motor with a 3 or 5 blade alfa fan or the sf fan supplied with this kit. The jet screamer is a direct fit into the sf fan available at hobby lobby. Using the alfa fan with the five blades expect this f-16 to go well over 100mph and unlimited vertical[X(] also need a 20 to 30c lipo able to handle about 30amps draw 2000mah to 2200mah should work fine. Oh one other thing close off the cheater holes on the sides of the plane. It will sound more like a turbine(real jet)......Tim
are you talking about the 60mm alpha fan kit? sorry, Im not gettin this. I have a LJSJ onorder with the adapter installed. Im not sure the KV is high enough. I want this thing to go on 4S. I plan to start with the stock fan, but I know I am going to want more thrust, so looking into which 5 blade fan to get.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 PM
friedclutch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the Dons wicked extreme a few days ago along with his pentium 40amp esc and the programming card for the esc. (to access some aditional programming features) My order was shipped this monday. Are you sure the wicked extremes are backordered? I plan on running the stock fan with 20c 2200 4cell packs. Hoping for 115mph. I cant count how many flights are on the stock power system. A real head turner, even at the large local flying field loaded with planes. There is not many planes available wtih this performance and price as stock.

Edit... actually my order was shipped out on saturday the 18th.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:24 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: friedclutch

I ordered the Dons wicked extreme a few days ago along with his pentium 40amp esc and the programming card for the esc. (to access some aditional programming features) My order was shipped this monday. Are you sure the wicked extremes are backordered? I plan on running the stock fan with 20c 2200 4cell packs. Hoping for 115mph. I cant count how many flights are on the stock power system. A real head turner, even at the large local flying field loaded with planes. There is not many planes available wtih this performance and price as stock.
You're so right. I ALMOST made the mistake of getting the L-39 by GreatPlanes electra-fly....glad I didn't, this bird even as stock is awsome.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:30 PM
gooseF22

It was wierd. I logged inagain a minute ago and they were available at dons. I just ordered one...so I deleted the prev message.

Thats the setup I want too...4S on stock fan with wicked extreme.

I just put a spar in the wing, and installed the 1/64 ply formers over the taileron mounts and it really stiffened up the airframe alot. I also used 30 min epoxy instead of 5 min. I ordered a dualsky 40 amp ESC last week, so the Dons motor will get me complete. Im running the evo lite v2 20C 4S 2500 battery. it outta cook.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:11 AM
friedclutch

I'm boxing in the stabilizer supports with lite ply this weekend and adding CF strips to the lower sides of fuse. Not really feeling comfortable with with HS-55 servos at this point. Wondering how they will hold at 100+ mph. Definitely going to grind flat spots in the stabilizer shafts where the set screws touch. I had a stablizer slip a little the other day. Maybe I'll rob the HS-81 servos out of the Stryker-C. This would add a full ounce to the air frame. Prolly wont notice too much of a difference though.

BTW... I was running the motor the other day in the garage at wot and I tried plugging the cheater holes with my hand. It actually bogs the motor down a little. You can feel the air drawing your hand/fingers towards the cheater holes! Leaving them open for now. I'll take thrust readings before new motor and then after.... Then with and without cheater holes. I have a pretty sweet digital scale that comes in handy for this.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 AM
hairlip
My Feedback: (65)

For what it's worth I had the 55s on my first one,and had control issues.Second plane has hs 65s 0n it, and it handles much better.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:52 AM
gooseF22

HS 65 HB's for me. I saw one fly on 4s with them...worked alot better.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:33 AM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

LOL....I don't know why you guys want 4S and speeds up to 110mph, but I know it's a personal choice. Even as stock for me, this thing is REAL hard to keep track of if flying full speed. I could see where even as stock running full power, smaller servos would be under tremendous stress (such as 7.5's or 8G servos), and would give out, especially under high G manuvers. My next one will have minimal 9G servos....and I don't push mine that hard.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:48 AM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

LOL....I don't know why you guys want 4S and speeds up to 110mph, but I know it's a personal choice. Even as stock for me, this thing is REAL hard to keep track of if flying full speed. I could see where even as stock running full power, smaller servos would be under tremendous stress (such as 7.5's or 8G servos), and would give out, especially under high G manuvers. My next one will have minimal 9G servos....and I don't push mine that hard.
why go faster? cause we can.... Why does a dog......you know the rest....

By the way, Im keeping one stock just for relaxing. It makes a good warmup just before flying a 6K$ jet. Im running 65MG's on one of my extreme prop planes and they work good. Its double the weight of this one. Its really all about balance and air load, and of course holding power. If the gear train is tight, the servo wont work as hard under high speed. I think the 65 motor is pretty strong for its size. I have run them over 100mph on other planes....no failures so far, not one..so I think 65's are a cheap investment for this one. They can be used on a ton of applications, so I bought a case back when. some MG's some HBs.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:19 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

why go faster? cause we can.... Why does a dog......you know the rest....

By the way, Im keeping one stock just for relaxing. It makes a good warmup just before flying a 6K$ jet. Im running 65MG's on one of my extreme prop planes and they work good. Its double the weight of this one. Its really all about balance and air load, and of course holding power. If the gear train is tight, the servo wont work as hard under high speed. I think the 65 motor is pretty strong for its size. I have run them over 100mph on other planes....no failures so far, not one..so I think 65's are a cheap investment for this one. They can be used on a ton of applications, so I bought a case back when. some MG's some HBs.

The ONLY issue I have with it right now is the "foamie" factor. I fly in a grass field, but it's NOT lawn or golf course grade groomed. Sometimes, the fuse gets dents or whatnot from the weeds and such. I think I MIGHT have the answer for my next one. I'm gonna mix 20 minuet epoxy and alcohol into a thin solution and paint the entire fuse with it. When it hardens, it should give it a "skin" to resist abrasions and pokes or whatever, then go with the gray camo paint job. I don't think it'll be so much weight as to be of consern. The covering they put on the wings resists abrasion very well and the wings are THIN (LOL). The wind finally let down today, so I got to take it out (45degF...wind 3-5mph). Very enjoyable....I need like 6 batteries (LOL).
Old 10-24-2008, 12:25 PM
gooseF22

Right on!!

I am going to do the same with westins and a thin brush. i am going to put multiple layers of tape on the bottom. some guys are 1/2 oz glassing the intake. that is probably a good idea without adding weight. I am glassing another bird, so it would be easy.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 PM
crashcrash

Right on!!

I am going to do the same with westins and a thin brush. i am going to put multiple layers of tape on the bottom. some guys are 1/2 oz glassing the intake. that is probably a good idea without adding weight. I am glassing another bird, so it would be easy.
Ahhhhhh....so I'm not crazy, the "foamie" factor IS a problem. Someone told me they put a strip of white duct tape on the botton, that takes care of the skidding thing and it resists grass stains too. The one I'm flying now is basically my "get aquainted" bird. I've got many flights on it, and though it still looks pretty good but, it's beginning to show it's use. I'll fly it till I stuff it (LOL). I am amazed at it's slow speed capabilities and it's tendency not to tip stall when landing.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:30 PM
gooseF22

I just corresponded with Don. My 5400 and pentium 40 esc will be here soon.

did you all know that his ESC's have switching regulators. thats worth the investment. thats all I run now.. It allows standard servo loads with higher cell counts. I had previously ordered a dualsky and it would not run micro servos on a 4S according to the packaging. I dont want to take a chance, so I am respectfully sending it back.

so from here on out, its dons stuff for me on this midsize DF stuff.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:26 AM
whissel_blowa

The Dualsky was likely an old model, if its the 40A it will have a high quality linear regulator in it and its fine for 4 cells, will drive 4 small servos. The new models of these ESC's now have switchmode BEC's in them, 40 upwards, a good addition as they work extremely well.

My F16 was clocked with professional radar gun last weekend at 146 with a tailwind Coming out of a shallow dive with about 12mph or so behind her, went past and scared %#!@ out of us!

Cross wind level flight 132-135mph, running around 800 watts right now and uses GWS NARO +F/BB servos
Old 10-26-2008, 03:29 AM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: whissel_blowa

The Dualsky was likely an old model, if its the 40A it will have a high quality linear regulator in it and its fine for 4 cells, will drive 4 small servos. The new models of these ESC's now have switchmode BEC's in them, 40 upwards, a good addition as they work extremely well.

My F16 was clocked with professional radar gun last weekend at 146 with a tailwind Coming out of a shallow dive with about 12mph or so behind her, went past and scared %#!@ out of us!

Cross wind level flight 132-135mph, running around 800 watts right now and uses GWS NARO +F/BB servos
LOL...showoff. That's pretty darned fast for a piece of foam.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 AM
gooseF22

whistle blowa

What is your power system and your modifications? that is the speed I want on the next build.

THe 40a dualsky must have been the old one.... it definitely had the linear reg due to the paperwork. Its weird, dewayne had it shipped to me in the interest of time, which was good, but I dont want to take a chance of losing this plane if Im overpowering it and I smoke the bec. I went ahead and ordered a Dons pentium... He told me for sure that his would hold up to the abuse... Since Don is very involved in the electric ducted fan development, I decided to do that. I can always use it on something with a BEC. The problems I have had with spektrum receivers have all been atributed to the BEC's and low voltage cuts. I didnt know it back when, but when I tested them with a receiver with quick connect, I found the low voltage problem.

thx
goose
Old 10-26-2008, 11:17 AM
gooseF22

Also
where are you guys getting the 25C Loongmax batteries. they seem to be the thing here.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:32 PM
r.geisman
My Feedback: (33)

Hi[8D] Goose, Try HobbyKing.com.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:38 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: r.geisman

Hi[8D] Goose, Try HobbyKing.com.
They're pretty awsome.....
Old 10-26-2008, 07:27 PM
mk1spitfire

anyone run a t rex 450xl motor in it? would it work?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:46 PM
friedclutch

Ok guys.... I have a product report. Got my Dons Wicked Extreme, 40a pentium ESC, and programming card. Installed and soldered everything tonight.... The Verdict?

Freaken A PLUS man. UNBELIEVABLE RPM. I used the stock XF fan btw....

First off. The ESC and programming card are awesome. No more complicated "throttle stick" ESC programming. And the 16 song choices for the power-up sequence is off the niffty scale. I had my brother drop by w/his F-16 and we programmed his too. (same power system...) His now plays jingle bells.. I went for the scottish tune. For $8 bucks its way worth it. (However not absolutely necesary.) This is the first time I put a 4 cell pack in. I got the 2150 20c 4s Rhino packs from hobbycity. (zippy cells) The power difference is unbelievable. There is also quite a bit more rpm on three cells than the stock power system. Hoping to get it up this comming weekend. After hearing and feeling the power difference today, I can say that there is NO WAY HS-55 servos will hold. I cant even hold this thing on my scale to measure the thrust. (Wife's busy)

The thrust ratio is quite a bit more than 1:1 static. How do I know since I cant keep it on the scale yet? Because I did some full throttle with the tail pointed at the ground and my hand holding the nose cone. It was pushing my hand upward with the full weight of the all up air plane.

All up weight with the heavy Rhino pack installed is 1lb 6.9 oz. So.... well over a pound of thrust. Cant wait to get her up.

Edit..... BTW... The Rhino/Zippy packs described above weigh 8.6 oz/242g. Chances are, these packs weigh more than name brand packs. Zippy gets good reviews in the forums though.>> Just like the Loong Max packs. I have the 2250 3 cell loong max packs as well. (hobby city) They're pretty good so far. I've got 20 flights on the loong max. We'll see how these Zippys hold up.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:53 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: friedclutch

Ok guys.... I have a product report. Got my Dons Wicked Extreme, 40a pentium ESC, and programming card. Installed and soldered everything tonight.... The Verdict?

Freaken A PLUS man. UNBELIEVABLE RPM. I used the stock XF fan btw....

First off. The ESC and programming card are awesome. No more complicated "throttle stick" ESC programming. And the 16 song choices for the power-up sequence is off the niffty scale. I had my brother drop by w/his F-16 and we programmed his too. (same power system...) His now plays jingle bells.. I went for the scottish tune. For $8 bucks its way worth it. (However not absolutely necesary.) This is the first time I put a 4 cell pack in. I got the 2150 20c 4s Rhino packs from hobbycity. (zippy cells) The power difference is unbelievable. There is also quite a bit more rpm on three cells than the stock power system. Hoping to get it up this comming weekend. After hearing and feeling the power difference today, I can say that there is NO WAY HS-55 servos will hold. I cant even hold this thing on my scale to measure the thrust. (Wife's busy)

The thrust ratio is quite a bit more than 1:1 static. How do I know since I cant keep it on the scale yet? Because I did some full throttle with the tail pointed at the ground and my hand holding the nose cone. It was pushing my hand upward with the full weight of the all up air plane.

All up weight with the heavy Rhino pack installed is 1lb 6.9 oz. So.... well over a pound of thrust. Cant wait to get her up.
SOUNDS AWSOME guy!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 PM
flynut67
My Feedback: (22)

The BEST investment you can make is a watts meter! For about $50 you plug it in between the battery and speed control and then run your set up! It reads out all info... power, amps draw, volts etc. I have the one offered through HOBBYCITY.COM! I LOVE IT!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:24 PM
flynut67
My Feedback: (22)

Just wondering if you have any torque issues? I dropped a 68mm fan in mine with a Sapac 4300kv motor running 4s. 1st flight was today even with 15 mph winds and gusty! It flew straight and fast but it torques alot! This makes it very hard to trim for various speeds! Thanks for any info! Doug

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.