Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

FUNJET

Old 05-19-2009, 05:59 PM
jamiechip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FUNJET

hi there is there anyone here that can help me with reinforcing my funjet as you are all quite noligable with the funjet i thought this might tbe the place to come have a look i dont want to over weight the plane i have done the carbon spar in the wings i wonted to know what else you are all doing the ailerons need reiinforcing but whats the best way to do it i have thought of glassing the hole thing but it comes back to the weight issue any help would be great
Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 PM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: jamiechip

hi there is there anyone here that can help me with reinforcing my funjet as you are all quite noligable with the funjet i thought this might tbe the place to come have a look i dont want to over weight the plane i have done the carbon spar in the wings i wonted to know what else you are all doing the ailerons need reiinforcing but whats the best way to do it i have thought of glassing the hole thing but it comes back to the weight issue any help would be great

Check your PM box
You don't want to glass the plane as it adds a lot of weight. With the mods I PMed you on a 4 cell 2500ma lipo 4.74x 4.75 APC prop and a 2900 kv motor you will be doing 110 mphplus level passes easy if not more
List you current motor or one you plan to buy and I'll get you a good set up. ESC also Should be 60 amp min.
Cp
Old 05-27-2009, 08:04 PM
LuckyArmpit

Howdee! Been reading thru some of the posts. I have a Typhoon Het 4W that just became availabe (crashed a slinger due to speed controller, gp silver series 25, wires that somehow got tangled up into the
prop and lost radio contact. Luckily the 3S 2100 lipo is slightly dented on the end). Was flying this slinger on a 5x4.3 carbon prop. Wing flew fine even on half throttle. Anyhoo, was looking at the fun jet.
Now, I currently have an old twin jet that runs on twin mega 3 turns and that stinkin thing is pretty wicked. And have a Unicorn that runs on a mega. Although they don't come close to my diamond dust w/tuned pipe and os .46. The plane has been clocked at 207.355 mph via Ohio state patrol radar (buddy of mine is state cop). So, not really looking for break neck speed as Ihave all that I can handle.
From other posts, this het 4w will fit on the fun jet stock mount? I think the motor should do the fun jet fine as far as speed goes. I plan on running 3S 2100/2200's and 6x4 prop. Anyone running anything close to this setup?

Lucky...
Old 05-28-2009, 12:19 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After losing my FJI went to buy the Mini Mach Racer ... I hope to maiden her on Sunday ... I think you guys are gonna have a laugh. She is supposedly to be tail heavy despite using heavier motors. Wish me luch! I think I will prob kill this plane and then go back to the FJwith a 3S set up using the Mega 16/15/3. Just nippy and relaxing to fly.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:43 PM
paulfrmphoenix
My Feedback: (7)

ARMPIT,
Hey, if you want your Diamond dust to go near 230-240mph, put a nelson Q-40 engine on it!!(NO FINER ENGINE IN THE WORLD, THAN A NELSON!
I am flying my Funjet on a Mega 16/15/2, APC 6X3 PROP, 4cell 30C battery, and an 80 amp ESC! This bird is AWESOME!! Very fast,and PURE VERTICAL performance..I hand launch at 1/3 throttle, which is plenty of pull from the 6x3 APC, and it does NOT ROLL LEFT FROM THE TORQUE, like normal full powwer on high pitched props!
I have a cliped wing Diamond Dust in the box, and Am going to ELECTRIFY IT, s soon as I get done with my honey do's ( remodeling the kitchen for the MRS.)
Hope this info may be of help to you..Paul
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 PM
tIANci

Paul ... Mega 16/15/2 on 4S and 6x3 prop?Wow ... I have run 3,600 KV motors on 3S and a 4.7 x 4.25 and its already screaming like nuts. I wonder how the 16/15/3 would run on a 4S set up.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 AM
paulfrmphoenix

tIANci,
i'm sure it would run great on a Mega 16/15/3, but the 16/15/2 is a real BRUTE , & really turns up the RPM's! And you can never have enough RPM's RIGHT?LOL!!And, it reallyperforms with the 6x3 APC! I,ve tried all kinds ofdifferent props, but the 16/15/2 seems toperform best on the 6x3
Paul
Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 AM
tIANci

Paul ... I wanna hear your prop on WOT! I really do ... please tach it too ... hahahahaahahahaaa ... you are one nut case!!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 05:48 PM
dic181

Hi all.
I've finally got my new HET 2W20 Typhoon motor and Lightning 80A esc. I am going to be building the FJ today fly tomorrow.
I have 6 of the Outrage 4s1p 2200mAh 25C Lipos as the power supply.
The only thing now is which prop is going to be pushing my little beast of speed. Ihave following :
4.1 x 4.1E
4.5 x 4.5 6 x 5.5 APC
4.75 x 4.75 APC
5.5 x 4.5 APC EP
6 x 4 (standard for the Stryker 27C).
6 x 5.5E APC
7 x4 Windsor Prop ( great for the stryker I had)

Anyone tried to swing a 8x4?

The HET specs are:
EDF2W20 weighs 93g
3350rpm
1.1 Inches Diameter 54mm in lenghth

700W of Nominal power
20mm Rotor Length in mm
50 Max amps.

The Lightning ESC
is 80A Burst current (>10s) 100A
switch BEC
Bec ouput 5v/3A
weighs 62g
size is 70*31*14 (L*W*H).

Hope that about covers the nerdie stuff. I will have the fuse done by the end of today Saturday 30th May.
Hope some one out there can give me the prop to match and give this beast a right kick'n' tomorrow... Am really excited about the finished FJ. Will post pics as it's done.

Cheers to all you out there for all the info I have read over the last few months it's been so helpful on many many levels.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Gryphon

dic181 ,

You left out the resistance of the motor. That is needed for running simulations.

Iused the value of 0.015 Ohms that was already in my MOTOCALC program. (May need to double that for 2 phase resistance given some certain online programs such as on Castle Creations and NEU web sites).

If you want to run the amps near the top of the specified Constant Current rating for your pack then look at 4.5X4.5 or so....You might want to buy APC E 4.5X4.1 pending the results of your wattmeter.

If simulations are correct, the motor may easily handle 4.75X4.75 if it had enough cooling air to it....Funjet does not shine in that dept (cooling air to motor). So it appears the bottle neck of your setup is the battery packs.
That does not mean setup is bad, it just means the motor may have an easier time of it than those packs.
Possibly themotor can handle 60 to 60+A with good cooling air and heat sink.

Hopefully you have a wattmeter to verify my simulations. Ihope to hear that your Funjet flies at roughly 120 MPH with 4.5X4.5.
You can always parallel (2) of your packs as 4S-4400 25C for longer flights, more power and much cooler pack temps…make sure that you can C.G. your bird.
Some people may run 5X3 props for much better climbing at some cost to speed (With that prop the static amps will drop/unload a good amount of AMPs at max speed in level flight but they will spike to static AMPs every time you go vertical).

During (quick and early landings) and after the first few flights check your motor and battery temps...consider a motor heat sink such as 28mm diameter X 27mm length from Medusa or MPI.

Use throttle control as needed instead of non-stop full throttle.

Good luck,

Gryphon
Old 06-01-2009, 04:55 PM
LuckyArmpit

Paul, have heard of those nelsons! Believe me, that 'dust is fast enough for me at 207. Generally, even half throttle will give your underwear the squirts!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mega 2 turn on your 'jet??? Man I bet that is insane!!!
Aint ordered the funjet yet...prolly end of this week. I hope I don't get any of those nose down landings....nose looks easy to bust off.
Hehe...club member gave me one of those Omei sailplanes. The fiberglas nose was cracked so no good to mount anything. Imade wood mount from ply
and mounted one of them hobby city outrunners. Don't even know the KV of this motor. Whipped on a 9x6 prop. Metered at 30 amps full, 373 watts from a 3S 2200.
Got some nice pull from this motor. Stock setup the club member had was speed 600 w/8 cell 1800 nimhs. Iknow I saved at least 6 ounces or so with a brushless lipoly
setup.
Was gonna try it today but we got a storm coming and the wind is blowing like a couple of hookers at a Legionaire's convention.

Lucky...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 AM
dic181

Wow! What a great couple of days out I had with the new FJ.

Every time I went up with it the guys at the field were awe struck...

The words to describe... Holy F@#K.. OMFG... etc.

Had eight flights trying the 4.1 x 4.1E
4.5 x 4.5
6 x 5.5 APC
4.75 x 4.75 APC
6 x 4
Even tried the 7x 4.

All came down with cool motor and esc. Throttle management was the key.

This bird handles so different on each prop. The best for speed seemed to be the 4.5 x 4.5 and the 4.1 x 4.1.

Max speed seemed to be obtained at 3/4 throttle for about 6 seconds coming down at about 20 -30 degrees into level flight at 10 feet off the ground. Wat a rush.

No room for error! Vertical is insane !!!!

The packs all came down warm, more cool than anything.

I can only guess from wat the spectators say it was at times hitting 200kph... Maybe. I know it's fast and touchie, but a whole lot of fun.

My cheeks are sore from smiling and from some close calls diving to level flight. Only wish I had something to record the experience so I could share with all you as it's the help from the reads that got me addicted.

This is my first FJ and have now purchased 2 more for spares.

Will do some mods to the next ones to make it as good as possible.

Will be flying this every chance I get.

The crazy thing is the FJ doesn't seem to like being inverted for long periods at a fast speed. That's me just being a bit silly as the stryker was awesome inverted at full throttle about 1/2 foot off the deck.

Totally hooked.
Even have a couple of guys monitoring the FJ to see if it's where they would like to go. They reckon I'm crazy with the speed of this thing... Sorry am a little hyped at the moment as I just came back from more flights at the local park.

Will post pic soon. Stickers even flew off mid flight today. That says the glue aint the best...

Cheers all.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:47 AM
dic181

Oh Gryphon,
Thanx for the reply but I was too quick at getting this out yesterday and today.

Lucky guesses from me about the props etc. All was fantastic...

Thanx again.

Stay tuned all.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 AM
paulfrmphoenix

Lucky, YES the MEGA 16/15 TWO TURN motor is insane! I have tried so many different props, but the 6X3 APC seems the best for speed and pure vertical!....
(If you,re not familiar with the Nelson Q-40 engines, you ought to be next to one when it is fired up! it has only a BIG venturi carburetor, with no throtle! It does not sound like a conventional engine, with the usual "WAGGGHH" sound, it has a HOWLING SOUND! The RPM's are in the 35K range!! The price is around $435.00, but you can not find a better engine in the world! If you put one of those on your Diamond dust, you better have a clean pair of underwear with you. LOL!)
I,m curious, is ANYONE out there using a Mega 16/15 2 motor on their FJ? If so, I would like to hear from you....
Thanks, Paul
Old 06-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Gryphon

General comments:

Recommendation to all,

If at all possible try to purchase 480 size motors at 110 grams as compared to 400 size shorter motors.

At low power setting, there will be no advantage but as power increases it will make more and more power, and efficiency will not drop, and they will run a lot cooler when setup properly........Especially given the lack of cooling air flow in Funjets as compared to externally mounted motors on other airframes.

Then there are the HIGHpower setups which will melt down a 400 size motor.

The 480 motors are just a little heavier, a bolt in fit, and extra $10-$20 more initially but that will save you guys a second purchase of a motor in future and you will just LOVEit.

Keep In mind the above are general comments….but some of you want to save every last few grams.
For high speed, extra 1 o.z. of motor is not a bad trade off….then add on the added weight of bigger pack in future and etc……LOL

Gryphon
Old 06-05-2009, 07:24 AM
dic181

Well here we are at the end of another week ready for the weekend and I have had now about 30 flights with the FJ.
All is going fantastic. The prop of choice for me is the 4.5 x 4.5.

Am running the FJ for 8 minutes 30 seconds and the whole setup comes down nice and cool only putting back approx 1400 -1600 mAh in each pack.

I get about 10 - 12 full throttle passes for about 5 - 7 seconds at about 10 metres off the deck.

The FJ has now become more and more responsive as my confidence grows. I have sorted out the inverted problem by just adjusting the aileron push rod lengths equal.

Geat plane for both full speed and slow below 1/4 throttle. Great for aerobatics as well.

The pics will hopefully be uploaded tomorrow.

cheers.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:45 AM
chippedprop

Once you get a FJ dailed in you'll be hooked. The FJ is my favorite plane to fly due to it's wide range of speed and control.

I have started another to replace my lost FJ hope to be up and flying soon.
Cp
Old 06-14-2009, 05:54 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: chippedprop

Once you get a FJ dailed in you'll be hooked. The FJ is my favorite plane to fly due to it's wide range of speed and control.

I have started another to replace my lost FJ hope to be up and flying soon.
Cp
I thought a Funjet was SUPPOSED to be faster than a Stryker ???????

ROFL !!!!!!!!

Come on now all of you Funjet speedsters...............

WHAT ?????

Do I have to build one of these also??
Just to beat this record also ???????

ROFL !!!!!!

All kidding aside,
If I offended anyone, sorry.
I have been thinking of what Gryphon said. Since a Funjet is a superior design, why not build one ???

Just thinking.....

If you watch in fullscreen, it is easier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByFaD4OH7yQ

Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 AM
theb1bman

I know this is RCU but I dont belave 200mph funjet maybe in a dive but you'll rip the wings off at that speed and 154mph striker no way you need to go to wattflyer on the 100mph club and get it dopplered then I'll beleave it

I had my pylon racer the Quick doppler at 153 with a 4.1x4.1 and 32000 rpm on the prop
Old 06-14-2009, 08:36 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: theb1bman

I know this is RCU but I dont belave 200mph funjet maybe in a dive but you'll rip the wings off at that speed and 154mph striker no way you need to go to wattflyer on the 100mph club and get it dopplered then I'll beleave it

I had my pylon racer the Quickdoppler at 153 with a 4.1x4.1 and 32000 rpm on the prop
It was dopplered a few times. The higher resolutions show the high side of the 150's.

Even the German version of doppler shows easy 150+

You can allways just point your favorite doppler handy dude friend to the U Tube link ................Easy to do !!!!
((PS) when you have seen your own dude say that the speed was 154, will you post apology on U-TUBE comment as well as this one ??)
Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 AM
theb1bman

I am not trying to be a dick but I still dont beleave it maybe in a dive but that dose not count Get wattflyer to say it on there 100mph club then I will my striker at around 120 allways lost control and would hook of to one side tell it slowed down dives dont count I could put a motor on a brick and drop it of a plane and bet that speed

Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 AM
theb1bman

[youtube][/youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDlvA7PhrQothis was dopplers at 153mph on wattflyer and sounds way faster and higher rpm and way less drag than a stricker
Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 AM
theb1bman

yes you well get my apology if wattflyer says 154mph and dives dont count
Old 06-14-2009, 12:05 PM
moparmyway

yes you well get my apology if wattflyer says 154mph and dives dont count
ZEROdiving !!!
Listen to the sound..........I flew giant circles. You can hear that prop load up and NEVERunload (like when you dive)

Feel free to point your favorite (or least likely) doppler dude to the link and let them have at it.

Please use pass #4

Waiting with baited (and bad) breath till we hear from you again on this.

If you want to see the doppler signature, look at post# 4850here !!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...61678&page=324
Old 06-14-2009, 12:10 PM
moparmyway

my striker at around 120 allways lost control and would hook of to one side tell it slowed down dives dont count I could put a motor on a brick and drop it of a plane and bet that speed

You have just prooved my point about high speed Strykers and their re-enforcing.

It is a Stryker in that video

and

It is that fast..........(honestly it is faster, and I will get more video soon)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.