Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

f/a 18 hornet

Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 PM
huffy423

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f/a 18 hornet

I was thinking of getting one of the fa 18 hornet rtf jets from hobby lobby. Does anyone know if this jet can be landed on the grass, or if it has to be landed on concrete or asphalt.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 PM
newjak

Default RE: f/a 18 hornet

I have this jet and it lands on grass with no problem. The wheels are kinda small ,but as long as your field isn't too rough you should be OK
Old 03-13-2008, 04:36 PM
huffy423

Thanks For The Reply
Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Eric.Henderson

Flew my "pink" Hobby Lobby Diamondback F-18 today from our grass runway. With the supplied 1300 mAh 3S LIPO it balanced perfectly. The 2200 pak zonne pack gave a good 6 minutes but made for a long take-off run. The 1300 had the nose up and away in about 30'.

Climb out was slow but steady. I would have loved to have been able to pull up the landing gear but settled for the "danglies" in the interest of lightness.

The airlane was acceptable with the stock unit but only gave 3 minutes on the supplie pack. Rolls were Ok but much better whend the twin elevators were made into rollevators. They both activated like ailerons when the switch was on!

Two servos were used for the aileroans which gave flaperon, airbrake and differential.

Twin rudders were fitted and conjoined with the steering servo. Photo shows twin rudder bellcrank.

Aileron was mixed into the rudders which gave bottom rudder in the turns which kept the nose down when entering a banked turn.

5 flights later and we are starting to do high alpha approaches. The nose can be held quite high at slow speeds and roll control is enghanced with the rollevators engaged. Using up aileron on both sides helps prevent the wing from stalling at these ludicrous nose-up angles. Having seen the full-size Super Hornet do high alpaha passes from the deck of a carrier, I just had to do them.

Not the fastest of electric ducted fans but rolls great. will loop, does tight turns and lands at a crawl.

Regards,

Eric.

Now if I can just get my hands on a a second one to do tight formation flying!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15957.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	984198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39131.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	984199  
Old 07-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Eric.Henderson

ORIGINAL: Eric.Henderson

Flew my "pink" Hobby Lobby Diamondback F-18 today from our grass runway. With the supplied 1300 mAh 3S LIPO it balanced perfectly. The 2200 pak zonne pack gave a good 6 minutes but made for a long take-off run. The 1300 had the nose up and away in about 30'.

Climb out was slow but steady. I would have loved to have been able to pull up the landing gear but settled for the "danglies" in the interest of lightness.

The airlane was acceptable with the stock unit but only gave 3 minutes on the supplie pack. Rolls were Ok but much better whend the twin elevators were made into rollevators. They both activated like ailerons when the switch was on!

Two servos were used for the aileroans which gave flaperon, airbrake and differential.

Twin rudders were fitted and conjoined with the steering servo. Photo shows twin rudder bellcrank.

Aileron was mixed into the rudders which gave bottom rudder in the turns which kept the nose down when entering a banked turn.

5 flights later and we are starting to do high alpha approaches. The nose can be held quite high at slow speeds and roll control is enghanced with the rollevators engaged. Using up aileron on both sides helps prevent the wing from stalling at these ludicrous nose-up angles. Having seen the full-size Super Hornet do high alpaha passes from the deck of a carrier, I just had to do them.

Not the fastest of electric ducted fans but rolls great. will loop, does tight turns and lands at a crawl.

Regards,

Eric.

Now if I can just get my hands on a a second one to do tight formation flying!!!!!!!

Name:	Xu62452.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	984200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26603.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	984201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56617.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	984202  
Old 07-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Eric.Henderson

last couple of pics.

Name:	Nl29487.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	984203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72900.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	984204   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27066.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	984205  
Old 07-12-2008, 02:39 AM
DOGG
My Feedback: (149)

Get a real jet......Electric jet factory.com.......1/2 the price of the e-flight foamy.....a composite jet flys faster & looks better. Talk to Robert Tell 'em "Dogg" set ya.....!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:33 PM
DigTheHornet

Can any one recommend a new fan/motor combination that runs on a 3c LiPo to increase speed and performance?