Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Great Planes L-39

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Hpilotrc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes L-39

Can a brushless motor of a larger diameter be used? I have an Align 430L with a 3550KV value that is used in a T-Rex 450X heli.

It has a diameter of about an inch...is an outrunner with alot of power.

Does anyone have any pictures of how the motor is mounted in the ducted fan unit?

Thank you,

Michael

Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 PM
gr8taz nitro
My Feedback: (7)

Here's a link to the instruction manual for the hyperflow fan unit. It's got some pictures that show how the motor will mount in the fan unit.
[link=http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmg3910-3911-manual-v1_1.pdf]hyperflow manual[/link]

As far as putting a bigger can motor in, I don't think you can do it with this particular unit, the largest diamter it will take is 24mm and that's with some dremel work to open up the housing a little for it to fit. In order to do a brushless outrunner your gonna have to get an adapter for it.
The first pic is an adapter, the second is of an adapter mounted to an outrunner, and the third is an assembled unit in a ducted fan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42030.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	953031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79356.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	953032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88553.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	953033  
Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 PM
frankaarthur
My Feedback: (6)

I used to have a Park zone styker and flew it with no problem. Is the Great Planes L-39 any harder to fly then the styker. Also, can you fly the L-39 and a slow speed or will it stall. What about flight times.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 PM
blitzskiff

hey what do you guys think about this set up: [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ2061**]LINK[/link]
Old 05-19-2008, 11:03 PM
gr8taz nitro

ORIGINAL: frankaarthur

I used to have a Park zone styker and flew it with no problem. Is the Great Planes L-39 any harder to fly then the styker. Also, can you fly the L-39 and a slow speed or will it stall. What about flight times.
I don't think you would have any trouble flying one. It flys pretty slow, but keep in mind it takes a little bit for the power to come back up if you do stall it out.

ORIGINAL: blitzskiff
hey what do you guys think about this set up: LINK
That's not too bad. Basically it's a stock plane with the rest of the stuff you need to get it airborne. The 900 mah battery isn't gonna do much in the way of flight time but it'll be a pretty lightweight setup.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:39 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: gr8taz nitro

I don't think you would have any trouble flying one. It flys pretty slow, but keep in mind it takes a little bit for the power to come back up if you do stall it out.

That's not too bad. Basically it's a stock plane with the rest of the stuff you need to get it airborne. The 900 mah battery isn't gonna do much in the way of flight time but it'll be a pretty lightweight setup.
Hey......thanks for answering these guys. As I think of questions I have, you hit the answer for me....Thanks. One thing on your signature line....LOL:

"If bullets bounced off supermans chest, why did he always duck when they threw the gun at him?"

The bullet weighs 158 grains assuming it's a 38SPL (and that's what it looks like and was common for the time), the pistol weighs 2 to 3lbs.....hummmmmm, I'd duck, LOL, it might give the man of steel a black eye or something (couldn't resist).
Old 05-19-2008, 11:58 PM
motobud269

tried to get it to fly....won't go on step...at 4800 feet... just won't climb.... rds 8000 radio, 1500 miha 20c bats....crash hard once and im not a beginer..any help?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:45 AM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: motobud269

tried to get it to fly....won't go on step...at 4800 feet... just won't climb.... rds 8000 radio, 1500 miha 20c bats....crash hard once and im not a beginer..any help?
Air too thin?
Old 05-20-2008, 06:39 AM
blitzskiff

thanks again.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 AM
The_Russian

hey what do you guys think about this set up: [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ2061**]LINK[/link]
Don't do it! Use S3156MG servos and a bigger ESC and battery. If you really want to go fast, get a 24-45-3790 motor.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:37 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: The_Russian

Don't do it! Use S3156MG servos and a bigger ESC and battery. If you really want to go fast, get a 24-45-3790 motor.
LOL........
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 PM
gr8taz nitro

ORIGINAL: motobud269

That's pretty high up, I don't know if your gonna get a good flight unless you either go to a 4cell lipo with the stock motor, or go to a bigger motor. What's your all up weight including battery? The elevation here where I fly is only 1004 ft asl. I finally got a radar gun on mine and it's cruising around 56mph at half throttle.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:26 PM
gr8taz nitro

Original: crashcrash
Hey......thanks for answering these guys. As I think of questions I have, you hit the answer for me....Thanks. One thing on your signature line....LOL:

"If bullets bounced off supermans chest, why did he always duck when they threw the gun at him?"

The bullet weighs 158 grains assuming it's a 38SPL (and that's what it looks like and was common for the time), the pistol weighs 2 to 3lbs.....hummmmmm, I'd duck, LOL, it might give the man of steel a black eye or something (couldn't resist).
LOL I've seen some of the old man of steel shows in history class.LOL I'm young enough that Christopher Reeve is the first one I saw. I just thought it was too funny that the bad guy would shoot, and he'd stand there and take it, then when the bad guy ran out of ammo( this predates the hollywood never ending ammo gun), he'd throw the gun and superman would duck!!!!

I've had a lot of people on here help me out, answering questions and it's only right to pass it on. Any info I give tends to be slanted by my own personal experience, but if I can help someone else out, I'm glad to do it.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:22 PM
crashcrash

Original: crashcrash

LOL I've seen some of the old man of steel shows in history class.LOL I'm young enough that Christopher Reeve is the first one I saw. I just thought it was too funny that the bad guy would shoot, and he'd stand there and take it, then when the bad guy ran out of ammo( this predates the hollywood never ending ammo gun), he'd throw the gun and superman would duck!!!!

I've had a lot of people on here help me out, answering questions and it's only right to pass it on. Any info I give tends to be slanted by my own personal experience, but if I can help someone else out, I'm glad to do it.
Seen a 1940's western the other day. The (good guy) shooting was pushing the revolver forward as he pulled the trigger as if he were gonna make the bullets go faster or sumt'in...my god I cant watch that crap anymore[:'(].

I really think the guy in Colorado is fighting "thin air". Bigger fan, bigger batteries...MORE WEIGHT...it's a loose-loose situation I think. In Michigan, a real HOT day and low humidity make for a poor flying day because the air molecules are less dense. If it's humid and hot, the plane makes use of the water in the air, flying is about normal because of the water molecules. I've had it 96% humidity and NOT raining, the model comes back WET with droplets on it.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:48 AM
divergoff

Did the same thing over the winter, nasty misty day, flew my MUS, plane started flying sloppy assume the battery was dying. Landed and realized the thing was covered in ICE. It was pretty cool to see how the ice affect the flight characteristics. Makes you understand why the stuff is so dangerous to small general aviation airplanes.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Azzir325

You're the first person I heard who had a problem like me. I'm no beginner, but don't have much DF experience. I thought it was screaming during the run up, but the best I could get from a hand launch was a controlled descent. I kept trying to the point of breaking a wingtip. After I glued the wingtip back on, I had gotten some newer batteries (I was using 1300ma 3 cell, but they were low C and had small red connectors) I now had deans connectors and the runuo still seemed the same. I decided to put in a bigger esc. Changed from an 18 amp to a 30 amp, and then found out what a screaming DF sounded (and felt!) like. Then it flew like a banshee until I got too far out, lost orientation and put her in. After glueing the pieces back on, it now looks like frankenplane, but I intend to fly it again.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: Azzir325

You're the first person I heard who had a problem like me. I'm no beginner, but don't have much DF experience. I thought it was screaming during the run up, but the best I could get from a hand launch was a controlled descent. I kept trying to the point of breaking a wingtip. After I glued the wingtip back on, I had gotten some newer batteries (I was using 1300ma 3 cell, but they were low C and had small red connectors) I now had deans connectors and the runuo still seemed the same. I decided to put in a bigger esc. Changed from an 18 amp to a 30 amp, and then found out what a screaming DF sounded (and felt!) like. Then it flew like a banshee until I got too far out, lost orientation and put her in. After glueing the pieces back on, it now looks like frankenplane, but I intend to fly it again.

Yeah, the books says 25a ESC....I think minimal would be 30a ESC, and I also think minimal would be 1800 mAh 20C...IMO.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 AM
e wright

I FLEW MY L-39 THE OTHER DAY ,IT TRACT VERY NICE ,SOUNDS GREAT TO.
USE HIGH RATE ELEVATOR SETTINGS AILERON YOU CAN LEAVE LOW RATE.
MY FIRST LAUNCH WASN'T VERY GOOD AT ALL,NOT ENOUGHT ELEVATOR, HIT THE GROUND LEVEL BUT KINDA HARD. FUSE CRACKED BEHIND COCKPIT. CA TIME.
BE VERY CAREFUL ON HARD LANDINGS , THE COCKPIT AREA IS A WEAK STRUCTURE AREA.
I GLASSED THE INSIDE.
I DON'T KNOW WHEATHER TO OVERHAND OR UNDERHAND THIS JET ,ANY ADVICE WOULD BE NICE.
IM USING 1500 3C ELECTRIFLY
25 AMP EFLITE SC
THIS JET DOES FLY NICE , THINKING ABOUT A CANOPY UPGRADE.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:55 AM
boneviator

Hi all, flew mine last weekend, around 4500 ft agl 15deg. C, 1800 mah FP, C.G. came out on front limit,45A sc, tested the 3500kv at full throttle 17.2A, very dissapointing performance, battle for altitude and 80% power to hold,between 3/4 and full throttle only the noise changes.... rolls nice and fast but thats it, no other EDF knowledge, what is the best hopup? 3790 or 4875 kv? wanna keep 11.1 v setup. The Russian seems to have it sorted but i'm in that weight vs altitude battle...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:31 PM
gr8taz nitro

ORIGINAL: boneviator

Hi all, flew mine last weekend, around 4500 ft agl 15deg. C, 1800 mah FP, C.G. came out on front limit,45A sc, tested the 3500kv at full throttle 17.2A, very dissapointing performance, battle for altitude and 80% power to hold,between 3/4 and full throttle only the noise changes.... rolls nice and fast but thats it, no other EDF knowledge, what is the best hopup? 3790 or 4875 kv? wanna keep 11.1 v setup. The Russian seems to have it sorted but i'm in that weight vs altitude battle...
If you want to stay with 3cell, the next size up motor that will do it for you is a 24-33-4875. Nothing wrong with the motor that Russian is using, but to get the most out of that one, your gonna need to go to a 4 cell battery. That's why I chose to use the motor I did, it has better specs and power on 3 cells than the one he chose, but on 4 cells his setup just screams. Still haven't got a meter on mine, but I'm guessing around 31-32 amps with around 19.5 oz of thrust. My plane weighs 20oz with a 2200 TP 3 cell. 1/2 throttle and it cruises pretty well, showed 55-58 on the radar gun on 4 passes. WOT shallow dive was clocking 79 mph. Thinking about making a thrust tube and putting in to see if I can boost the performance w/o changing motor or battery. Have a pile of 3 cell 21-2200's. Hate to buy any 4 cells since I can't use em in anything else I fly.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:13 AM
boneviator

Thanks a lot gr8taz, plan B is 2x 1345's EVO lites 2s in series, it'll save me 50g as well, on the 3500 kv motor and 14.8V it seems like the best combination, if not ill find out how not to do it....
Old 06-05-2008, 06:19 PM
motobud269

Thanks everyone for the input. I moved the battery back a bit to make it slightly tail heavy. After a very hard overhand launch i finally got it to fly. WOOW. Still a bit sluggish, same as the other guy i have to fly at 3/4 to full throttle. but none the less its flying and i have made several flights now, quess it's time for the hop ups!!! can't wait to take it to a lower elevation when i go on a trip
Old 06-07-2008, 12:23 PM
The_Russian

Unbelievable!!!!!

The girlfriend went across the street to babysit for her sister, so I took the dog out to the field next to my house and gave the L-39 a go.

WOW!!!!!!

The setup:

24-45-3790 Ammo Inrunner
SS-45 Electrifly ESC
4S 1500mAh 25C Flightpower LiPo
S3156 Digital MG Aileron Servos
HS-65 Elevator Servo
AR6100 Spektrum Radio setup

The method:

Overhand launch
Half-hungover
95 deg OAT at Sea Level

The Outcome:

This setup brings the aircraft to life. My first setup was stock with a 30a ESC and a 3S 2250 25c Loong Max. Boooooooo!!! That thing was fun, but it was a dog. Although I never had any problems launching overhand style, the plane did fly nose heavy. The new setup launches and climbs out at half power, thats all it takes. The aircraft is tail heavy, which will allow me to possibly install an 1800 4s for higher flight times.

The first two flights were incredibly fast and I only flew for 3 minutes for battery break in. I was afraid to fly it with a power setting of over 50% because there was so much power available. At 50% it was difficult to keep in sight because of the sheer speed. Loops and vertical flight are now effortless. Unlimited vertical so far, although I have not flown straight up with full power yet. I'll wait until I am comfortable before I try. Acceleration is almost instant. I did try one 100% burst, but backed off immediately as it shot way from me. Top speed will be well over 100mph or even 150mph with this setup.

I performed the same cooling mod that the other guy posted on RC Universe, but my electronics were still hot after both flights. (OAT is 95F so that might have some influence)

Disappointments:

The airplane is still very difficult on approach and landing. The grass destroys the beautiful plane more on every landing and it also eats away at the leading edges of the wings. I put scotch tape on the leading edges for extra protection. There are still green marks all over the bottom. She wont be good enough to display very soon.

Good luck! Videos to come!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:29 PM
The_Russian

The Electrifly design team needs to take a look at those aileron and elevator foam hinges. They are VERY weak. Another method of hinging the control surfaces will be needed soon.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:52 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: The_Russian

The Electrifly design team needs to take a look at those aileron and elevator foam hinges. They are VERY weak. Another method of hinging the control surfaces will be needed soon.
Great info comming in...thank guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.