Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Great Planes L-39

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:17 PM
gr8taz nitro
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes L-39

The hinge on my left aileron broke while I was putting the plane together. I fixed mine with some Bob Smith flexible CA and haven't had any problems. If they break again, I'll probably cut them off and put in some robart pin hinges. I've got the hobby lobby f-18 and it came with pin hinges installed. I do need to come up with a better cover for the servo's though. I've stripped two gear sets in the wings now from belly landing in grass. I tried the stock ones and they shredded to pieces on the first flight.

As fast as mine is, I think I'm gonna end up taking a page out of russian's book and bite the bullet and buy some 4cells and upgrade the motor one more time. I'm lookin for more of a reaction at the field than, "hmmm that's a fast piece of foam." lol
Old 06-09-2008, 08:53 PM
The_Russian

What's up Electrifly???

I busted your tip tanks off during high-G turns today.......twice! It made a popping noise and separated like a set of real drop tanks! I thought those things would never come off in flight? The plane dutch rolls a bit more without them, especially at the speeds this L39 flies at.

There are two issues with my setup:

1. The battery does not provide enough amperage to maximize the potential of the motor and ESC. An (A) 1800, 2000, or 2200 mAh 4S LiPo will be required! I am pulling max amps out of the current battery, which leads to the next issue:

2. That ***** is hot! It got so hot in the electrical compartment that it melted the heat shrink covering off of the ESC. I widened my NACA scoop in the nose but it had very little cooling effect.

Right now, the aircraft is pulling 400mAh per minute. The aircraft can only be flown for 2-3 minutes before breaking the 80% rule.

Need solutions............

The plane is still awesome and very fast. I was outrunning my friends Venus with an OS .55 at less than 50% power while he was at full!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: The_Russian

What's up Electrifly???

I busted your tip tanks off during high-G turns today.......twice! It made a popping noise and separated like a set of real drop tanks! I thought those things would never come off in flight? The plane dutch rolls a bit more without them, especially at the speeds this L39 flies at.

1. The battery does not provide enough amperage to maximize the potential of the motor and ESC. An (A) 1800, 2000, or 2200 mAh 4S LiPo will be required! I am pulling max amps out of the current battery, which leads to the next issue:

2. That ***** is hot! It got so hot in the electrical compartment that it melted the heat shrink covering off of the ESC. I widened my NACA scoop in the nose but it had very little cooling effect.

Right now, the aircraft is pulling 400mAh per minute. The aircraft can only be flown for 2-3 minutes before breaking the 80% rule.

The plane is still awesome and very fast. I was outrunning my friends Venus with an OS .55 at less than 50% power while he was at full!

OK.....now you're scaring me...I haven't bought one yet.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 AM
boneviator

Flown twice, replaced gearset twice..... next move light glass & CA or glider servo covers, busy building a 4S 1500 for the weekend, go fast or go splat....
Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 PM
gr8taz nitro
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: The_Russian

What's up Electrifly???

Did you make any vent holes for the air to exit out of the cockpit area? If you didn't, the air just gets trapped and the heat will build up drastically. I made a couple of holes using some brass tube to drill through the back of the compartment to just in front of the intake. Since I can't make the exit holes 3 times bigger then the intake I'm using the fan unit to help pull the air out of the cockpit and keep the battery cool.
ESC is probably gonna have to be moved either in front of the fan unit or behind it depending on where you ended up mounting your fan. I can fly back to back packs and my esc is cold. I've got mine mounted behind my fan unit in the duct. Yeah I might lose a little speed and performance, but me equipment doesn't get hot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86462.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	968328  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:29 PM
The_Russian

Yeah, I did. Actually, I used the same mod that Sparkie-RCU used on his canopy thread. I think it may be too late for me to relocated the esc to the tailpipe.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:58 AM
haasjj

Well I finally got my L-39 built, wow what a nice looking plane. I read a few posts about stripping gears in the wing, don't the foam covers protect the servo enough?

How much wind can this plane handle?, its been windy as heck here in western ND lately and I want to start off on a calm day but after that I don't know what it could handle.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 PM
The_Russian

The servo covers come off every once-in-a-while and need to be glued back on afterwards. Have some CA ready to go at the field with you.

A better choice for aileron servos are the Futaba S3156 digital metal gear servos. They are invincible and fit in the same hole as the 3114. If you strip one, go get some of those. Don't rebuild the 3114!

Wind will be up to you. I have flown in 20 knot winds in Florida with gusts and had no problem. Just watch the downwind flights because she might get away from you or stall in the turn to upwind.

Good Luck.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:06 PM
paul daniel

Hey guys: I just had my L-38 up and it was sort of glitchy. The only thing I've done non-stock is put a 1500 mah battery in it. Because of that, I had to put the receiver up front ahead of the battery and esc. This reciever, a Hitech Electron 6 has not been a problem in the other plane I had which I also flew at the same location. The antenae wire does go past the battery and esc. Is that an issue? Any ideas will help.
Paul
Old 06-13-2008, 02:53 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: paul daniel

Hey guys: I just had my L-38 up and it was sort of glitchy. The only thing I've done non-stock is put a 1500 mah battery in it. Because of that, I had to put the receiver up front ahead of the battery and esc. This reciever, a Hitech Electron 6 has not been a problem in the other plane I had which I also flew at the same location. The antenae wire does go past the battery and esc. Is that an issue? Any ideas will help.
Paul
Paul,
I'm running 2 electron 6's, one in an MX-400 helicopter and the other in an EP Glider, the TX is an Eclipse 7. I can tell you that routing the antenna anywhere near the ESC, servo wires, or any other electronics will result in glitching. For some reason, the electron 6's are very sensitive. I also discovered (almost crashing/helicopter) that if you get within 10ft of a power line....you totally loose signal. The Eclipse 7 and the electron 6 work great in planes if the antenna is routed properly and distance of the model isn't a factor unless powerlines are in proximity. You now now what I know.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:47 PM
paul daniel

That's what I thought it might be. I just looked at the cockpit area and I think I can move the ESC away from the receiver. It is a noisy little jet though. It makes more noise than my Twister. It actually hurts my ears when I run it up and I did the break in with the fan unit and motor.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:06 PM
animal acker

So tell me paul, what do think of this plane? is it better than say, oh I dont know... maybe the Diablo!?

Please tell me what the differences are besides the diablo sucks the most of all planes and this one may not.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 PM
paul daniel

Good to see you on this forum. Well, the first thing that separates this from the Diablo is that it actually flys! It's also lots faster and for a kit goes together pretty quick. Chuck the Diablo if you still have it and get one of these. I still do like the Twister which is rock solid in flight. The L-39 is a bit twichy but it was the first flight. I also have a Sapac T-45 waiting to fly and hoping the grass here in Wisconsin dries out soon and a E-flight F-15 to build. Nothing could be worse than the Diablo. Actually which died a couple of weeks ago. I was flying around and tried to do a split S. At the bottom of the manuvuer, the wings folded. Dead fred! It's laying on the floor of my basment waiting for me to gut the parts out of it. There will be no funeral.
Paul
Old 06-13-2008, 09:25 PM
The_Russian

If the Sapac T-45 is a foamie, its not that impressive. I had one and it was horrible with respect to the L-39. It is not maneuverable, nor is it fast. Maybe a 4S will bring some life to it. I was running a 3s 2250 25C. The composite version, however, is impressive.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:20 PM
dslusarc

I got some video of my L-39 yesterday. I first flew on a Wicked 5400 on 3S in the stock fan, then went to the Wicked 4000 on 4S inthe stock fan. I like that setup better.

http://au.youtube.com/dslusarc

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0LxbkJqgzmk
Old 06-14-2008, 12:12 AM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: dslusarc

I got some video of my L-39 yesterday. I first flew on a Wicked 5400 on 3S in the stock fan, then went to the Wicked 4000 on 4S inthe stock fan. I like that setup better.

http://au.youtube.com/dslusarc

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0LxbkJqgzmk
Man...that SOB screams.....WOW![X(]
Old 06-14-2008, 08:25 AM
paul daniel

That thing screams! Tell me about the battery and ESC. Where would I get a motor and fan unit like you have? Also, my T-45 is the composit and here in Wisconsin it won't be flying anytime soon unless I put floats on it
Old 06-14-2008, 10:27 AM
The_Russian

I'm flying up to Wisconsin tomorrow in a Piper Aztec to do some mapping. How bad is it up there?

Good thing you got the composite T-45!
Old 06-14-2008, 10:33 AM
dslusarc

Here is what is in it:

Motor: DonsRC Wicked 4000 EDF motor with standoff adapter
Lipo: 4S 2200 Zippy from Hobbycity
ESC: Pentium 40 ESC
Fan: 50mm Electrifly Hyperflow fan (comes stock in the L-39 kit)

Don (of donsrc)

Old 06-14-2008, 11:27 AM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: dslusarc

Here is what is in it:

Motor: DonsRC Wicked 4000 EDF motor with standoff adapter
Lipo: 4S 2200 Zippy from Hobbycity
ESC: Pentium 40 ESC
Fan: 50mm Electrifly Hyperflow fan (comes stock in the L-39 kit)

Don (of donsrc)

Don...I KNOW you're pushing it WAY beyond it's designed limitataions, I would guess 100+ MPH. What glue or epoxy did you use to assemble it. To be honest...I thought the wings would blow apart as I was watching. Very impressive though.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:54 AM
dslusarc

Actually I am impressed with this kit. I glued it all with CA glue no mods at all to the airframe. The only thing different is I am not using the stock motor and I added a tailpipe toi get the right exit area. I actually trust this airframe more than my Alfa kits at higher speeds.

Don
Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 PM
paul daniel

One front after another. High winds today and then there's something coming through now. Supposed to be scattered thunderstorms tomorrow. Lot's of water everywhere! Have a safe flight.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:07 PM
The_Russian

Are you using a full range receiver with this setup? Mine is just as fast and I start to lose sight of it because of the speed! I am using an AR6100 and haven't lost it yet, but I am worried it will go out of range.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
dslusarc

I am using a Berg 4L receiver.

Don
Old 06-17-2008, 01:35 PM
SJMILLER

Hey guys,
I posted this in a another part of the forum a few days ago, but haven't gotten any feedback so I thought I would try here. I got this setup from one of the posts in this thread. Thanks for any input!

"I don't know much at all about electrics and I ordered up a GP l-39 and went with a suggestion of a member here and ordered an Ammo 24-45-3790kv motor to go with an EVO 25 1500mah 4s lipo. Problem is that when I got the motor it says it is rated for up to 11.1V and this battery is 14.8V. Is it OK to OverVolt a motor like that for a ducted fan aircraft? I am using a Electrifly SS-45 brushless ESC with this combo.
"

thanks
stan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.