Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 PM
antcomm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

Thanks for your help, I will do just that. I also have the F-35, it flys great if anything it's a little too floaty. Does the extra weight help smooth that airframe out?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58394.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1231594  
Old 07-07-2009, 07:10 PM
tankertoad

It certainly does. I'm running a Flightmax (Zippy) 4s 2200 and it fits well with a little foam removed at the rear. It's much faster, more stable and the performance is great!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 PM
antcomm

Are you running two servos or four in your F-35? I also have a GP L-39 that's modded and pretty quick (approx 80mph) Great plane but they should have designed it with landing gear. Ive never crashed it landing, but I just crashed 20 mins ago trying to hand launch. Ugh, where's the CA!!

Take offs, landings, and touch and go's are too much fun anyways!!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
tankertoad

I'm running 4 servos and no landing gear (grass field). It beats up the stabs on landing, so I fiberglass'd them, added wood backers to the control horns, and added a 3rd pin hinge to each side. I also added two finger slots (like the one at the back of the fan access hatch) to each side to give me something to grab on to since the bottom is so wide.
Just for fun, I also have an LX F-22 that I modded with scale thrust vectoring. I'll start a thread on it once I get it in the air and get everything dialed in.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Rick_H

David Eichstedt

So what is the policy, Can we send in the Junk EDF for replacement with the new Delta-V 480 65mm EDF System, 4800Kv systems? and Will they make this plane fly with 3s batteries without burning up or do we have to use the 4s batteries?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 PM
jdeters79

So I've logged about 7 flights on my E-Flite F-16. Flying it today shortly after launching I heard a pop, followed immediately by complete loss of power to the DF. Immediately after loss of power to the DF, I was able to control the control surfaces and began to set up for a dead stick landing. I made it to about 3 feet off the ground and then I lost all power to the control surfaces. The airplane pitched up, stalled, and spun into the ground busting off the nose. Walking up to the wreckage I noticed some smoke rising from the speed control. I immediately disconnected the battery, burning my thumb in the process. Looking at the ESC after "cooling down", I noticed substantial damage to the case. My guess is something in the ESC blew (MOSFET?) causing a short which eventually took out the flight controls.

Here are a few pictures.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:25 PM
lolol99

i dont know if this was just me but i got the f-16 a couple days ago, and i was playing with it making sure everything worked and I found that the left elevator wont trim at all, so i went and read my transmitter manual and couldnt figure out why it wouldnt trim, i re-checked all the connections adn couldnt figure it out, if any one has had this problem and figured it out please reply
Old 01-11-2010, 06:38 PM
imagine95

Assuming the servo is ok, and you are talking about the eflight f-16, your assembly manual has detailed mix and assignment directions. If you dont have your manual I beleive horizon has it on their website. I had no problems with mine.

To the fella that lost his due to ESC failure, In all my EDF's and anythig over a "SLOW" flyer I recomend using a seperate BEC. Then when you blow an ESC (and it will happen) you have power to the flight control surfaces, provided you have some batt. juice left.

By the way folks I had my f-16 until a month ago. I sold it to a friend and on his first flight he splattered it, he kinda lost orientation then put it into a death spiral. We heard the "splat" from around 200 yards away. Not much left. It kind of looked like a beer cooler on a freeway......
Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 PM
bigdog5332

hey is it ok to run 4s on the phoenix ice50 with the bec...when i go full throttle it will shut off on 4s but not on 3s
Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 AM
imagine95

Hey Bigdog,
If you have a castle link make sure it is set up right. If that doesnt work call castle, they will help you over the phone. By the way I do not utilize any onboard esc/bec combos in 4s and above. I recommend an ouboard BEC. I had the same problem with another castle ESC and need to send it back. I have an ICE75 in my 500 class heli and it so far works great on 6s.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:05 PM
trevormatney

Hello everyone!
So a fellow at the field blew his ESC, by soldering the battery leads on backwards. Whoops! Anyway, I don't know what brand of ESC it is, but appears to have an external BEC. I was hoping to fix him up with an el cheapo 30A, and then realized his plane is using 5 micro servos. OK I will buy an el cheapo BEC to add to it. I have two questions, if anyone can help me out: 1. Do you think I can cut off and use the BEC on the blown controller, or is it likely trashed too? 2. Is it worth the time to fix this airplane (It appears to have the stock motor)? It's not sounding really good, based on the few posts I've already read. Thanks for your opinions!
Trevor
Old 04-13-2010, 05:25 PM
imagine95

Trevor,
Its been awhile since the ol'f-16 came up here. If you read back I upgraded mine to a 4s system. The details are a page or two back. The jet will fly ok at sea level but if you want a "scooter" you can get a fan and motor combo from SAPAC America that will push that plane very well at a cheaper cost than the Delt V system. I suggest a 60a esc and you can test your BEC by hooking it up ta a batt and rx and see. I think the BEC will be ok unless it got hot. Fo less than 20 bucks to save a plane might be woth it
Old 04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Fourtypluskid

David, was there a reason why there was no working rudder designed for the F-16? I think it would add a bit more depth to the flight capabilities for such manuvers as knife edge fly-bys and 4 point rolls; manuvers that you would see the Thunderbirds perform. I am tempted to try adding one but since the rudder is not available separately I would have to buy a whole new plane if I screw up the rudder.
Are there any plans of offering more parts for the F-16? I know in other posts folks have been looking for replacement wings.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Fourtypluskid

David, I am quite disappointed and upset with Horizon for discontinuing the F-16 so quickly (although others may say not soon enough). I recently ordered a replacement F-16 from my vendor and they said it was back ordered and now I see on the Horizon site that it is discontinued. I dumped a lot of cash into putting this this plane together only four months ago and now a year after you put the EFLA7075B on the market, you pull it off. It was bad enough that you could not order replacement wings and the only option was to buy the whole kit again and now that is no longer an option.

I know that the early version with the installed motor, EFLA7075, had issues but the high-power setup performs very well and always turns heads and is a blast to fly. I usually fly in a farmer's hay field and landings are a little rough on the belly and wings so I wanted a replacement fuselage so when this F-16 body got too beat up I could transfer the parts to the new body. Now that I can't replace the plane I will have to be more cautious and conservative knowing I can't replace it. What is the fun in that? I feel like Horizon has sucked the wind out from beneath my wings. Not to mention the cash from my wallet.

Since the whole kit is no longer available can Horizon now make the fuse, rudder, and wings available as replacement parts?

Thanks,
40+
Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM
The Black Nova

I am new to this forum and relatively new to the R/C field of the hobby. I have flown Nitro Control Line for many years however. Anyways I just purchased an E-Flite F-16DF however it is the old model with the art-tech motor. I do not want to use this motor. Is the replacement motor from E-Flite much of an improvement or should I look for something differen't. I have read a little bit about Don's Wicked Motor's and a Hyperion motor. I would like something that will pretty much be a direct fit replacement so no modifications would need to be done, if that requires a differen't fan unit I wouldn't be opposed as long as it drops in with little or no modification. I would also like to stay with a 3 cell setup so I don't have to alter the CG. I have been Flying the Park Zone P-51BL for several months with a DX6i radio very succesfully. This is my first EDF jet but would like this model to carry me for a while in the hobby so I am looking a for a reliable yet fair powered setup. Any help to get this rookie in the air would be much appreciated.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Fourtypluskid

Nova, I use the High-Power setup and it performs well. Use a 60 A ESC and the recommended Delta-V 480 4800KVA EDF and the TP 2600Mah battery. You may be able to send in the old motor and get the Delta-V 480 4000KVa motor but that will not work well, you need the 4800. This link has the info:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Re...Fan%20Set%20Up

Since you have the original unit you will need to relocate the front wheel servo so you will need to cut a small block of foam from the shipping box wall to mount the servo. The instructions for installing the new motor are very well written in the new manual you will find in the link below. There is no info on making the block but once you look at the manual you will see what I mean. Be careful when cutting open the access door, only cut in about 1/4 inch on the sides.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...400_DF_ARF.pdf

Enjoy!

-40+
Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Fourtypluskid

Oh yeah, check out the RCU review with the high-power set-up and watch the video:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1213
Old 03-28-2011, 08:18 PM
reaaz

I just got on of these discontinued Eflite F16, new inbox from a friend of mine. I'm planning to carve out a little more room in the fan bay & install a good quality 70mm fan unit to get it going & proabably a 4cell unit.
One question I have is.. Does anyone have a good CG point for this plane. Its been noted that the balance position stated, is still a bit nose heavy! hope someone has an answer!

Ohh, has anyone tried installing those mirco retracts (hobby king etc..) into this or similar sized(60-65mm) F-16 foamies? I have a spare mirco pneumatic retract I'm thinking of putting in it.
LG-9-0001-S http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7701
Old 04-10-2011, 05:35 AM
Fourtypluskid

reaaz, you need to be careful with how much weight you are adding as the wing load will be too much and they will rip right off if you pull up fast. I have been happy with the with the 3 cell TP2600 and Delta V 480 4800KVA EDF set up, not unlimited verticle but good for casual pattern flying. It would be nice to have a rudder to do more but it still is a thrill.

As per the COG I have mine at 65mm and is well balanced.

This what the manual says:

The recommended Center of Gravity (CG) location for
the F-16 is 2 3/16–2 9/16-inch (55–65mm) back from
the leading edge of the wing.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...400_DF_ARF.pdf

I am thinking of getting the Habu now that they dropped the price to $300 for the BNF, I am sure that means it will be disconinued soon but unlike the E-flite F-16, Horizon seems to have plenty of parts suppport for the Habu. All you can do with the F-16 is glue it back together. Have fun with it.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:50 AM
reaaz

Thanks for your comments Mr Fourtpluskid, I have indeed given it some more thought & will leave the gear experiement for another victim.
Yes these micro planes, don't like any extra weight.. so it will be a hand toss/bungee launch machine. Will go with rudder & a lightweight 70mm fan on 4cell.. I don't like their wing securing method, so will invest in a 3mm carbon rod "Spar"& stake it (carefully) through the wing & fuse for a a sound structure.
Your COG info is welcomed, will start at that point, but was aslo hoping someone tried say, a more daring 70mm COG & what results they got.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Fourtypluskid

Good idea with adding the spars. If you are leaving the gear off and landing on the grass you need to watch out for damage to the intake mouth, so you you may want to rig someting up for that. I would think that the COG spec would apply regardless of what the total weight is, the weight just determines how fast you need to go to have enough lift to stay airbourne.