Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F-16 fighting eagle from famous

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

F-16 fighting eagle from famous

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:40 AM
philld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F-16 fighting eagle from famous

ORIGINAL: ARF Guy

I noticed at RC Groups a couple of fellows have complained about motor glitches and determined that the ESC is most likely the trouble. Have any of you had runs with the motor cutting out? I have and once AFTER flying it, I tried to throttle up and nothing happened. I power cycled the plane and it seemed to reset. The battery was reading 3.7 per cell except one that was 3.6 so there was no lack of battery power.

Thanks,

ARF Guy.
Yep, I've experienced this issue in my HL F5 also. From what I've been reading others have also experienced this on RCGROUPS. They suspect the ESC. I've swapped receivers which work well in other planes but are no help in the F5 or F16. I totalled the F5 (unfortunately) thinking it was a recvr issue. I wont dare try a maiden with the F16 until I can get a glitch free pre-flight. I'll go for insulating the ESC and Wires in aluminum prior to swapping out the ESC. It sucks that we have to go through this with a new ARF. I'm sure HL is aware of this by now. I see the mftr placed a yoke on the speed controller to recvr cable to no avail. I think they too were aware of this prior to sending to HL. More to come.......
Old 09-25-2008, 08:25 AM
ARF Guy

I cleaned the connectors from the ESC to the motor with denatured alcohol per the advice of one of our electric experts. I suspect the sweat shop in China doesn't have much in the way of any standards with handling electronics. Figured it would hurt to clean the dried Kung Pao chicken residue off and try it. However another issue popped up. The strap that holds the bottom of the duct on broke and I'm making one out of some clear plastic that everything seems to come packaged in today. Won't get to try the plane until tomorrow or Saturday. I let you all know if cleaning the connectors helped. Nothing back from my request to HL yet (it's only been a day).
Old 09-28-2008, 02:42 PM
CAPT John
My Feedback: (15)

I removed the added nose weight from my F-16 and the jet flew much better. I'm only getting about 5 minutes of flight time with the stock battery using mostly 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. I also seem to be getting some surging from the motor. It is most noticeable at mid throttle ranges and I don't know if it's the ESC, battery, or something else. Otherwise I am pretty satisfied with the plane.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:13 PM
ARF Guy

I would contact HL. It sounds like you are also having the ESC problem and I believe HL will make it right when they have a solution. I've grounded my plane. The glitch occurs when any of the functions using 2 servos is used. Rudder/steering does not cause the glitch, just elevator or aileron.

ARF Guy
Old 09-29-2008, 11:37 AM
CAPT John

ORIGINAL: ARF Guy

I would contact HL. It sounds like you are also having the ESC problem and I believe HL will make it right when they have a solution. I've grounded my plane. The glitch occurs when any of the functions using 2 servos is used. Rudder/steering does not cause the glitch, just elevator or aileron.

ARF Guy
Thanks ARF Guy. I'll do a bit more troubleshooting then contact Hobby Lobby. I had another of the stock LiPo batteries on back order, but just cancelled it. I think a 25 or 30C 4 cell battery would be a better match.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:47 PM
rcmiket

I'm having the same issues with my F-16. I have a 60amp ESC laying around and plan on putting it in if that's the issue than it should clear up. I had the same problem with the F-18 did a ESC swap and it cured it. Hate to say it but the ESC's that come with these are pretty much junk. With the balance point further back it flies great I'm really pleased. Mike
Old 09-29-2008, 05:24 PM
CAPT John

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

I'm having the same issues with my F-16. I have a 60amp ESC laying around and plan on putting it in if that's the issue than it should clear up. I had the same problem with the F-18 did a ESC swap and it cured it. Hate to say it but the ESC's that come with these are pretty much junk. With the balance point further back it flies great I'm really pleased. Mike
Mike,
What kind of flight time are you getting out the stock battery?
John
Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM
rcmiket

Right now I'm just doing trim flights for balance point and trimming. 4 minutes tops but on the recharge I'm showing I'm using less than 40% of the battery. Once I get this cut out thing solved I'll push it a bit harder and see what kind of times I get. I'm guessing anywhere between 6 and 8 minutes depending on throttle management. Some guys go full bore for the start(less time), I like to explore the whole spectrum ( more time). I'm sure a better quality battery would also help a bunch. I'm looking around for some right now. Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 09:37 AM
CAPT John

Mike,
I look forward to hearing if the ESC swap solves the cut out problem.
John
Old 09-30-2008, 03:30 PM
rcmiket

It worked in the F-18 from H/L so I'm pretty sure it should work. The instructions say the stock ESC is 45amps we tested the draw over the weekend and were pulling 38 amps. I figure these stock ESC's are pretty much junk (due to all the issues I've read about). I should have the answers Friday or Sat (work gets in the way) . Mike
Old 10-03-2008, 10:08 AM
rcmiket

I swapped out the ESC this morning and I cannot get power to the receiver. This is weird. I've never had a issue in a ESC swap till this one. I checked the bind and all the wiring still nothing. I shot a email off to the supplier and we'll see what transpires. I'm no electronic genius but its got to be something stupid. Mike
Old 10-03-2008, 05:38 PM
rcmiket

Well looks like a BEC is in order here. I contacted Hobby Lobby about the ESC "cut out" and they are in the process of getting replacement ESC's of "better quality". I have a replacement from them coming as soon as they get them in. stay tuned looks like late next week. Mike
Old 10-03-2008, 09:31 PM
CAPT John

Thanks for the info Mike. I'll be calling Hobby Lobby tomorrow morning to request a new ESC as well. I have always been pleased with HL's customer service, so hopefull they'll make this right in a prompt fashion.
John
Old 10-06-2008, 03:06 AM
koolaid535

where is the start point for cg,
Old 10-06-2008, 12:29 PM
rcmiket

They say 78mm from the leading edge(at the fuse) I'm back at 90mm. Try it at 78 and see what you think I dint care for it there. Mike
Old 10-06-2008, 02:04 PM
CAPT John

Mike,
Hobby Lobby is sending me a BEC to wire into the existing ESC/BEC that should eliminate the surging problem. I'll keep you posted on the results.
John
Old 10-06-2008, 04:32 PM
rcmiket

Thanks; The ESC that comes with the plane has a BEC wired in it already I'm guessing with the problems were having there is a issue with the stock ESC or BEC. The new ESC/BEC that H/L was sending me is one back order so I'm going to install the 60amp ESC I have when the BEC I ordered for it gets here. Mike
Old 10-06-2008, 04:54 PM
CAPT John

ORIGINAL: rcmiket
Thanks; The ESC that comes with the plane has a BEC wired in it already I'm guessing with the problems were having there is a issue with the stock ESC or BEC. The new ESC/BEC that H/L was sending me is one back order so I'm going to install the 60amp ESC I have when the BEC I ordered for it gets here. Mike
The H/L technician (Robert Harrington) says the problem is in the BEC and the one he's sending me to wire into the ESC is in stock. It sounded like a pretty easy fix, but some soldering required. Hopefully I'll get it in time to test it this weekend.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 PM
rcmiket

Its easy. My BEC just showed up and I got the new fan unit complete with motor that H/L promised due to the vibration issue. I'll get on it right after work tomorrow. Good day all around at the mail box. Things are really looking up. Mike
Old 10-07-2008, 05:32 AM
koolaid535

Hey Guys,
Have anyone taken off the landing gear and hand lauched the bird? and if so how did she do as far as belly landing.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:10 AM
CAPT John

ORIGINAL: koolaid535
Hey Guys,
Have anyone taken off the landing gear and hand lauched the bird? and if so how did she do as far as belly landing.
Yes, I fly from a grass runway and the jet couldn't get up enough speed to ROG from the grass. The plane needed a strong throw, but did fine(once I took out the added nose weight). Belly landing on the grass was no problem. I used alochol-thinned epoxy to coat the leading areas of the intake and belly to give it some additional protection.
John
Old 10-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Bigair
My Feedback: (1)

Since the intake is on the ground, I would be more afraid to pick-up debris. Is the fan pretty tough on it ?

[&:]
Old 10-08-2008, 02:24 AM
koolaid535

thanks for the reply, i painted mines today, red and white. it looks real good, ill post some pictures when i get home.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:46 AM
ARF Guy

Old Navy, I took some nylon window screen and attached it with pins and a little glue on the non-removable part of the duct after removing the belly pan. My third landing I picked up part of a weed that didn't make it to the fan. I also fly off of dirt and with that fan turning the rpms it does anything would damage it enought to unbalance it. I can't tell if I lost some thrust, but keeping debris OUT of the fan IS important.

ARF Guy
Old 10-12-2008, 01:15 PM
jimweda

I take it this is the "Famous" F-16 that Hobby Lobby is selling? If so, is there anyplace else to purchase just the airframe. I've tried ordering airframe parts from them before and they've always messed up my order when buying the pieces that make up the plane and would prefer to find someone who sells the whole airframe only version. Any ideas. Thanks. Basically I'm looking for larger EDF's that don't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.