Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New to electric flight and edf jets-need help

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

New to electric flight and edf jets-need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:44 PM
aps f4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to electric flight and edf jets-need help

Hi. I have a edf jet and I have never had a an electric powered plane of this size before,let alone a jet- just park flyers and small helis. My question is pretty simple. My esc has short wire leads as do my wires coming from my motor and only allows my esc to sit just outside of the ducted fan unit. My problem is that all my electronics are to be located up front,so do I solder wires on to add some length?. As with my r/c car esc's I know or at least with some, you are not to alter the distance or cut the wires from the motor or add to the esc. So what do I do here were I need to move the esc forward? or do I just have to take what I got and make do? Other wise I will have to extend the battery wires from the front of the nose (were the li-po will be) all the way back to the esc.

I'm just a newbie here!....on electrics that is! Help please!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 PM
aps f4u

Default RE: New to electric flight and edf jets-need help

Here is what I am working on and this what I mean about esc needs to go up front.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57586.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1078797  
Old 11-25-2008, 05:06 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

You should first lengthen the esc (if needed) so the heatsink can be inserted to the inlet duct for cooling. Then lengthen the battery leads to reach the battery. A sort of accepted rule is any battery lead over 12 - 14 inches should have caps installed to take the loads of the current on the system.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:24 PM
aps f4u

Thanks skyhawknut. I think if I add 6-7 inches on the esc that would put me were I need to be as long as that won't be a problem for the esc adding that much more wire length. Your input on that would be appreciated as well Thanks again!

a